- advertisement -

Ketone ? and 2nd guessing myself

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kiwimum, Jul 14, 2009.

1. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

Tyler woke this morning with an unexpected high - 16.7 (300). He did a blood ketone test and it showed 0.3

He had his breakfast as normal and bolused for the food plus the correction for the high bg.

Now I am 2nd guessing myself that we did it right. We have never had any ketones above 0.1 (except for dx)

After looking through the books from the endo re pumping and ketones, I am now thinking that he should have had an injection instead.

Do we consider an injection for any reading of ketones, whether it is 0.1 or 0.5, etc? Or do we just give the injection if the ketones are over a certain level?:confused:

I realise we may have stuffed up this morning. Luckily (or not) it is school holidays so I can monitor him for the day with no problems.

2. buggle

buggle Approved members

I'd have done the same thing. If his BG doesn't come down, then I'd try a shot and check the set, etc.

Does he seem to be getting sick at all? He could be going through a monster growth spurt too. Brendan can have perfect BGs all night and then scream up towards dawn.

If it all resolves, then you may never know what happened. D likes to play with our minds.

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

For what it is worth (coming from an MDI'er) I think you did the right thing Debs. Let us know how he is when you check him later :cwds:

4. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

Thanks guys!

One thing I loved about MDI is that we never got ketones!

I have him drinking water like there is no tomorrow so hopefully he will flush them out and we can avoid an extra shot.
    I will be checking him in another hour or so and see where we go from there. Hopefully they will be gone and we can have a stress free day - well, as stress free as you get with two teens home on holidays, rain and one X-Box controller!

5. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

We consider anything under 0.5 negative, so I would have done the same thing. I hope you get things under control again.

6. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

Now that is EXACTLY what I wanted to know regarding positive/negative ketones, I just didn't know how to ask!

7. ShanaB

ShanaB Approved members

I was taught that anything above .6 give injection and change the site. Anything below just means not enough insulin. We get ketones if the wind blows the wrong way so I found this rule of thumb is dead on. Now why he's running high is beyond my area of expertise. Good luck today, in my opinion you did the right thing :)

8. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

Phew! Ketones gone but still high.
    Site looks fine - due for change today anyway.

Probably ANOTHER growth spurt, knowing Tyler!

Thanks for the encouragement guys!