- advertisement -

Keeping strips cool?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Tena, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Tena

Tena Approved members

When you go on vacation how do you keep your meter strips cool? We are going to Branson next week, and I need to be able to keep everything cool (that will be staying in the bus) while we are at Silver Dollar City. Can I put them in my ice chest if I wrap them in a cloth or something to keep them dry or can I use frio bags? I will have about 200 with me as we are going to Church camp from there for a week. I have the large frio bag and the pen frio bag for 2 pens. She is on the pump now so we wont have the pens with us. I just bought her the spibelt to wear in the theme park. All ideas and suggestions welcome.

2. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

I never worried about keeping strips cool. But I just checked our instructions and it does say to avoid extremes of temperature and keep them under 86 degrees F. I supposed the bus could get really hot? But you wouldn't want to keep them really cold either. I suppose in the ice box would be OK if they were far away from any actual ice... the packaging should protect them from moisture pretty well. Frio bags are quite damp so even though the plastic cannisters close tightly I'm not sure I'd want to risk that.

You are planning to pack along the pens too though right? You should definitely have back-up in case of pump problems.

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Instead of a purse, I carry an oh so stylish insulated lunch bag. Keep everything in there with an ice pack that I wrap in a washcloth. This keeps everything nice and cool, but doesn't freeze it. We also have a Frio pack for insulin for longer trips. I just picked up a small backpack cooler that isn't too big and is a bit more stylish.

I was in Babies R Us and I saw some nice bottle holders in black that really don't look like baby equipment. A bit pricey, $27, so for now I'll stick with my $12 Target cooler:)

As for storage on the bus, keep everything in a large ziploc and not touching the ice. Maybe wrap a towel around the strips and then put them in one of those humungo ziploc bags. Or even put them in a plastic box inside the cooler. The number one thing is to keep the strips at no more than room temp and the unused insulin cold but not freezing.

4. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

Actually if you have room keeping them in some kind of styrofoam in the cooler would be good. I was worrying about keeping the insulin "room temperature" during a heat wave and the pharmacist suggested this. Styrofoam tends to keep things at their current temp quite well. So that would protect against freezing.

5. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

6. Tena

Tena Approved members

Thanks for all the replies. I don't know if I will take the pens, but I will take syringes for sure. I am also taking a vial of Lantus JUST IN CASE. I know that the bus will probably get really hot throughout the day. I think temps there are in the high 80's right now. So if I wrap the boxes of strips in a small towel and then put them in a ziploc baggie at the top of the ice chest away from the ice, they would be okay you think? Usually for long trips I use the little plastic tub that came with the ice chest and put a thick washcloth in the bottom of it and then put the insulin (still in the boxes) in that tub. It usually keeps it pretty cold but not letting it freeze. Good idea or no? I will have to leave the bulk of our supplies on the bus while we are at Silver Dollar City so I want to be sure everything will be okay. We will be 15 hours from home. I am also taking a prescription with me for all her meds just in case also. I told the NP I was planning on taking about a months supply of everything from insulin to site changes to strips. I am worried about "worst case scenario". She told me that was a good idea to do. Any other suggestions?

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    We've used strips that sat in a HOT car and sat in a COLD car and never had a problem. It won't hurt to protect them, but I think that they are pretty tough little buggers ;)

8. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

It sounds like you've got everything covered. And yes, it is best to plan for the worst, hope for the best. We tend to bring a ton of stuff with us too!