- advertisement -

Keeping sensor/set on in heat and water

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Budapest, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Budapest

Budapest Approved members

We have been pumping and CGMing for quite a while, but this summer seems to be a real challenge. DS will be 8 in the fall and as a "big boy" he is sweating quite a lot more than he used to. Also the weather is worse than usual -- it has been above 90 for more than a week and will stay like that for a while. In the hot weather they spend time in the school kiddie pool every day.

The result of the sweat and the pool is that the Medtronic Minimed sensor comes off every 2-3 day (instead of 7) and sometimes we have inserted a new Silhouette infusion set twice a day because it also comes off.

We tried Skin-Prep by Smith&Nephew but it irritates his skin. Also tried Tegaderm Film by 3M, IV3000 by S&N and Mepore Film by a Swedish company. They don't really make a watertight seal and as water seeps in things get messed up.

Any ideas?

(As a temporary relief -- since the CGM sensor is not staying on in any case -- we switched back to the old Animas pump with Cleo 90 sets and they stick much better than the Silhouette, but in the long term we need the CGM as well.)

Thank you.

2. heamwdevine

heamwdevine Approved members

In the summer, we switch back to basal shots and fast acting shots for this reason. Her pump site used to always fall off with all the time in the pool. She enjoys the break from the pump too.

3. heamwdevine

heamwdevine Approved members

I heard Mastisol was really good for helping with this though.

4. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Hypafix tape is awesome. I've worn it for swimming, long baths and long runs and it barely even peels around the edges in a week of water and sweat. ;)

5. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I agree with Emma, if you can get hypafix (not the generic, its no where near as good), it works really well.

6. sbsmith1804

sbsmith1804 Approved members

We use Mastisol here as well!

7. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

The sweat is much more problematic for me on some parts of my body. I've been thinking about not doing abdomen sites for the summer- sticking with arms all summer and then use the abdomen in the winter. I'm just worried about increased risk of scarring (not that anybody's done any good studies on what patterns of site rotation actually prevent scarring).

8. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

We use Hypafix to tape it down, and it's worked well so far.

9. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

We've had luck using the CVS brand waterproof bandaides. It is a clear tape with threading in it. I use the knee size to put on sets and it keeps them on. For a sensor, I use the regular size and tape it to the sides of the tape where the dexcom sits.

10. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I had one summer like that, #1, keep tapes out of heat when in storeage, they lose their sickiness. I now keep tapes in the garage on the cement floor, coolest place in the house, besides the refridgerator.
    #2, when all else fails use electrical tape(I had to 1 time):D I was campping and had gone through all 10 sets I had bought for a 3 day weekend, had to make the last one stay in! Put it in my arm and wrapped the tape around it. It worked for the remaining 2.5 days!! Looked horrible, but who cares :)

11. Williamsville mommy

Williamsville mommy Approved members

I saw your quote a while ago. My daughter who is three hates tegaderm, so I ordered some hypafix and used it today. Loves it, even told me...hey mom my, that tape feels good...no pulling, stretching, it seems very soft, and pliable. So thanks for the advice.....

12. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Awesome! I'm quite sensitive to how things feel on my skin, and I way prefer a fabric tape over those clear plasticky ones. I'm so glad she likes it. :)

13. selketine

selketine Approved members

I started putting Opsite Flexifix (comes in rolls about 4 inches wide) over William's infusion set and that has worked great. We use IV prep wipe typically but that alone doesn't hold the set on in water.

I've used Skin Tac in the past but it does not seem to be working for us anymore. I don't know if I have a bad batch or what. That always worked in the past (they sell it in wipes like IV Prep so it was easy to use- there are also bottles).

William wears a Dexcom now and that sensor stays on pretty well in water - but I put some opsite pieces around the tape (not over the top but more like bandaid pieces on all 4 sides around it) and that has worked. I'm really surprised how well Opsite stays on in water and with sweat.

It is good to see you post again and sounds like you're having a good summer!:cwds:

14. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I second Opsite tape. We use it over the MM sensor. I strip under transmitter. One strip over transmitter and one small one at where sensor enters skin. I t stays on well in pool and just back back from ocean. I check and if the tape gets loose by end of week I just take off any loose and apply new.

15. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

We use Hypafix tape for the Dexcom, and it works really well. It also doesn't irritate his very sensitive skin.
    For swimming or tubing we also wrap it up with the self-sticking tape. He wears it on his arm, so we do a full loop or two around the arm covering the sensor.