- advertisement -

Keeping pods & large CGMS devices on in the pool

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Twinklet, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Twinklet

Twinklet Approved members

I'm asking Pod people because I'm sure you all have a lot of tricks!

Emily started swim lessons and despite IV prep and a ton of Opsite, her Navigator fell off. :(

I bought some Skin Tac and used that to insert the new one. What else can I do?

She wears it on her arm. I'm thinking of something to wrap around her arm while she's in the pool. I would love to find something that would prevent water from getting to the transmitter, because it gets underneath the sensor plate and loosens the tape.

Suggestions?

2. Kirsten

Kirsten Approved members

For the pod, I use mastisol under it and Tegaderm HP around the edge. it works great (in the pool or at the beach)!

Kirsten

3. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

For Liv's Minimed sensor, we cover completely with large Tegaderm. It's close to 4" x 5" and it holds great with her skin chemistry in water. I now cover all of her sites (with hole cut for disconnection) with a small Tegaderm HP and it makes showering, swimming, and water activities so much easier.

4. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

I'll tell you what worked for Bethany...SKIN TAC. But it really irritated her skin unfortunately. I also put opsite around the adhesive border as well. It stayed on through the beach and the pool the next day.

5. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

IV prep never worked for well for Hailey. We use barrier wipe (to prevent irritation), skin tac, and opsite flexifix and they tend to stay on well. If she is in the water for more than 4 or 5 hours it will start to peel on the edges but it has yet to come off completely.

6. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

Nicole, which barrier wipe do you use?

7. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

Right now we are using AllKare barrier wipes right now. I am not sure where you can get them, my mom works at a medical supply place and she brought them home from work for us. I know one brand is Baird (sp?)

8. CC'sMom

CC'sMom Approved members

IV Prep actually prevented my daughters pod from sticking properly. Skin Tac works great, but Mastisol is like cement. If you are having a lot of problems, I'd go with the Mastisol.

9. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

andeefig gave us some 2" Durapore tape and it's great!

10. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

Most of the time we use nothing but if we do use something it is skin tac. Nothing else.
    Good luck,
    Allene

11. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

When Sam is wearing the dex in the pool, we need to use the skin tac. We have NEVER lost a site or cgm site with skin tac.

shannon