- advertisement -

Keeping insulin cool/cases

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Williamsville mommy, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Williamsville mommy

Williamsville mommy Approved members

Ayone have any experience with any frio product or any product/case for keeping insulin cool during the summer. Specifically looking for a case that is insulated or other like options
    Thanks

2. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Frio is definitely the way to go. We have several, from the double pen frio to the larger pouch that the entire pump can fit in.

3. Williamsville mommy

Do they have their own site or did you buy off of amazon?

4. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

You can buy the Frio wallets on amazon. I'm not thrilled with them. But they keep the insulin cool NOT cold. It's better than nothing

5. Williamsville mommy

Do you have any suggestions other than a cooler with ice packs. Just looking for easy options to take and go, for the long hot summer months

6. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I've actually done both, amazon and directly from Frio, both good experiences.

7. Dan

Dan Approved members

8. Lizzy731

For short trips we have a diabetic supply bag which is the size of a very large wallet and we use a small ice pack for the insulated section of the bag. For longer trips we do use the Frio wallet but when I take the insulin out after a long day it feels just cooler than room temp. That's why I'm not thrilled with it. But as I said its better than using a small ice pack that melts within a few hours.

9. Lizzy731

Also with the Frio wallet it's best to activate it and let it sit for a while before putting the insulin in it. I find it gets cooler sitting for a bit without anything in it. This is not always convenient if you don't plan ahead but it will work better in the long run.

10. Anyelday

Anyelday Approved members

We are using our Frio for the first time today...I am hoping it works well because temps gets pretty hot here in Charleston.

11. dzirbel

dzirbel Approved members

We also use the Frio and really like it. We go to King's Island often and it works perfectly, even if the temps are in the 90's. My tips for the frio, which is what they advice in the directions...prepare it ahead of time as you will need to soak the liner in cool water to activate it. Then I gently roll it in a towel to absorb any excess water. Let it sit for a few minutes. It has to have air flow to work. Don't shove it into a bag or backpack or it will not continue to cool. We put ours in the side mesh pocket of a backpack. Also, try to keep it in the shade when possible. No it's not going to keep it refrigerator cold but it will keep it at the appropriate "room temperature" or "cool". If you need refrigerator cool, like for extra insulin supplies then I would use a cooler with ice packs.

12. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

We use frio activated with ice water stays colder than regular cold tap water. But we only use for travel. We are in Florida and seldom have an issue with a day out.

13. Williamsville mommy

I ordered two today on for Erin's pump for the summer and one for my sons epi pens. Thank you All for the wonderful feedback

14. Lizzy731

Good tip I will try the ice water next time

15. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I get the Frio for the pump. It's perfect for two vials and there is a belt loop on it. Seth doesn't use the belt loop but it's better to have it and not need it...;)

16. libbymom

libbymom Approved members

So those that use Frio for the pump - what do you do with the Frio after you put the pump into it? My son uses a tummy band or spibelt for his pump (Ping), but it won't fit into that, will it?

We recently moved to the south, and I know it's going to get hot this summer and I don't want insulin going bad in his pump.

17. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

We never put the pump in it while it was on his body, just when he removed it for football or working out when he was outdoors. We live in Texas, use Apidra, but have never had insulin go bad, and he is outdoors a lot.

We use the Frio for storage of extra insulin while out and about, particularly if anything may be left in the car for any length of time, and for putting his pump into when he removes it and puts it aside for sports.

18. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Seth is on shots, I just like the pump size for the two vials of insulin he carries around. It's also the only one that has a belt loop. That's why I get that one :)

19. jellybeanasmommy

jellybeanasmommy Approved members

I just recently purchased the frio duo (that holds two vials/pens) and have been pretty satisfied with it. IT works by evaporation and the more evaporation (hotter the weather) the cooler it keeps the vials, I have found. It does not keep the insulin fridge cold, and it's not designed to. In the documentation it states that it's designed to keep the insulin between 65-75F. We don't inject cold insulin anyway so it works perfectly for us. I love that it is water activated so I never have to worry about it "running out of charge", so to speak, if we don't have access to a freezer to freeze ice packs. We recently went on vacation and were staying in a hotel for a few days and out sightseeing during the day and I considered buying the instant cold packs since I knew we wouldn't have access to a freezer, but it seemed like such a waste since the ones I found locally were about $2 a piece and would have only stayed cold for a few hours. It was definitely much easier to throw the frio in some water every other day, let it sit out for a little while to soak up all the water it needed and put the insulin back in it and it kept the insulin at the perfect temperature.