- advertisement -

Keeping a Log. What do you do?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by bisous, Jul 30, 2014.

1. bisous

bisous Approved members

We've been all over the place when it comes to logging BG. We've been terrific, we've done absolutely nothing, we've used technology, we've used a pencil.

What do you do? How faithfully do you keep a record? How often do you review your data? If you DON'T keep a log of any kind, what do you do to keep up with changes, etc?

Right now I'm doing very little. I try to aggressively respond to our Dexcom and try to make changes to our regime when I notice that we're out of whack. But I'm thinking of stepping it up a little bit. I'd like to find a way to enter my observations or track them somehow. I'd like to look at reports on the software that I have for the Revel or the Dexcom and I want to know if I can combine them somehow. What about odd things to record? Like DS has been running low for the entire duration of this "site" and when I removed it last night it was a gusher. It seems relevant to track but is hardly an option on our meter, KWIM?

I'm thinking I'd like to have some sort of review I can print out every couple of days, maybe with each site change (?) to see if I can spot trends/things to change, etc. I also want to keep a small notebook where I note any changes I make to settings, etc. I don't know why but I'm thinking of a small notebook where I can put a date and list the current info. Or maybe make a printout with all the possible settings so I can just jot it down.

I'd love to hear your practical tips.

TIA!

Jen

2. BarbDwyer

BarbDwyer Approved members

I'm very new here. We enter the data on a phone app. It shows trends on the app and the data can be sent to a spreadsheet type report. My son is 13 and all about tech stuff so he is way more compliant with the phone app. It also syncs between the two phones so I can see what he logs when I'm not with him. He doesn't have a pump or Dexcom at this point.

I have to admit I have not really analyzed the data much because I still don't know what to do with long term data like that. If we notice to many lows (highs are not our problem yet) we make adjustments but so far nothing beyond that.

3. bisous

bisous Approved members

Oh, an app sounds great! What do you use?

Welcome to the forums, BTW. I'm sorry for your diagnosis but this is a good place to be.

4. BarbDwyer

BarbDwyer Approved members

Thank you.

He picked out one called mySugr. It is free and works good for us. You can upgrade to 'pro' but we have not done that. We figure up the card count and do the math/formula separately and plug the numbers in for carb total and units of insulin given. If we are together I do the formula and carb counting by hand (or I have him do it all by hand so he knows how) but we made a spreadsheet that will do it all for him if he wants to use it. Someone here or on another board mentioned Diabetes:360 which looks really good too. I would switch but he likes what we are using so I'm not messing with it yet, lol.

I had originally used one called Diabetes Tracker but it was a pain for us - it was very diet focused and you had to enter specific foods.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  5. bisous

bisous Approved members

Oh cool. I'll check them all out!

6. Mish

Mish Approved members

I still use a paper and pen log. I do download all the tech items, but I find that the one I consistently look at, is one where the numbers are just there. I've simply made an excel grid with a column for each hour of the day and a row for each day of the week. I then have all the BGs right there. If I need more data, then I'll use the tech downloads to evaluate, but I find that the paper sheet helps me 9 times out of 10 to spot a problem and fix it. I can quickly see that there's a high after lunch, or a low at 5am or that every morning has been high.

All that said, I find that it all goes out the window in the summer and we don't do much logging at all. :)

7. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I just download the dexcom graphs. I can tell based on the live graphs that something's wrong, but often it will take looking at the 24 graph of the last three days layered together to see the real pattern.

8. jacks101

jacks101 Approved members

We rely on downloading the pump and Dexcom data.

9. andiej

andiej Approved members

Diagnosed 7 months ago. We log in a book, BG levels at each test, also make notes of any changes in there. Also use an app called OnTrack. Tried a few but liked this best, especially as it predicts hba1c too.

10. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

5 yrs in & we still rely on paper logs, mostly through an Excel spreadsheet. Our endo doesn't download anything, & we're required to provide paper logs. We added the MySugr app around the first of the year, & use it extensively.