- advertisement -

Karate question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Ginagbaby1, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Ginagbaby1

Ginagbaby1 Approved members

David will be starting karate tomorrow and was wondering if there's any special pre-cautions that I need to take for his pump?

Thanks a bunch!

2. Big Hair Momma

Big Hair Momma Approved members

We disconnect. I bolus 1/2 the missed basal upfront and the remainder at the end, if it's needed. I also test about 1/2 way through and correct or treat a low as necessary. Hope that helps. :)

3. JohnMom

JohnMom Approved members

In the lower belts we stay connected because there was no sparring. When he advanced to the upper belts we disconnected and gave in 1/3 of his basal.

4. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

I would think at his age, keeping the pump on will be fine. Just make sure you test before and after and then maybe extra times later in the day to see what it does to his bg.

5. tsoccer5

tsoccer5 Approved members

we are on the omnipod so no disconnecting, but she eats a larabar before class and only bolus' half. She is in blackbelt class and did 200 pushups, 200 jumping jacks, etc tonight, class is 45 mins to 1 hr and she was 88 when she got home
    we sometimes see a low 3 hours later, but we gave her 15c of ice cream at bedtime and that usually does the "trick" for us

HTH
    Good luck!

6. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

It's all trial and error. My son leaves his pump on for everything except sparring.

7. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

My daughter is on the pod and wears her cgms in a spibelt or pocket that I sewed into her Gi for everything. Sparring, weapons, self defense, rolls,etc.
    No problems at all yet and she was diagnosed while a purple belt and is now a 2nd Degree Black Belt.

8. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

Good idea. My son's instructors will hold his cgm or just put it off to the side. That way, any of the instructors can take a peek at it and tell Sam to go drink some juice or do a correction if needed.

9. Ronin1966

Ronin1966 Approved members

Hello Ginagbaby1:

Given I teach Kara-te for my living (and am, a former pump user myself) I might have a thought or two. The advice you've gotten to date sounds pretty good though.

Every martial art has a specific technical foundation, though it is often the individual instructor who determines a particular emphasis even from school to school within the same art/practice! Kara-te is the specific term for the martial art(s) of Okinawa. It is different from Tae Kwan Do in its technical base though many use the terms interchangably (incorrectly).

Any idea what the specific name of the art which your son David practices might be?

Regardless as a general rule, David should have very few problems to begin with determined by the specific technical emphasis of the art/instructor. There could certainly be some however. The particular uniform for instance could cause an issue or two <tiny shrug>. The technical basis of each art could possess a hiccup for pump users, determined by what that particular art, its emphasis might be.

A military/militant emphasis with pushups, sit ups, "group cadence" that kind of "group mentality" will have a very different intent-intensity than the Mr. Miyagi flavor of instruction. Both karate training, but very different (melodramatic) methods, and approaches to some extent. Both entirely valid if, if that method, that tone is what reaches your son.

Starting is a wonderful and excellent thing... as a diabetic of some 40 years, and a karateka (student) for two plus decades I find karate training the IDEAL activity for my fellow diabetics, my peers and seniors.

We can find the "lines" within us, explore our limits, fears, our powers. Diabetes is a dragon with some nasty teeth. With the tools of karate we can teach our dragon... ~obedience~ while we in turn learn the patience of a rock.

Would diabetes were a "straight punch".... :D

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  10. Ronin1966

Depending on the specific "traditional" uniform, some brand names have brushed cotton (soft), some have pockets that would serve your purposes... depends on the particular brand, and what they (as a business) uses...

11. simom

simom Approved members

My son does kung fu (different than Karate - to Ronin's point). The classes he takes are all focused on forms (sets of punches, kicks and other motions) at this point in his belt progression - so we leave him hooked up.
    If he starts to spar, we will probably unhook him for that.

12. Ginagbaby1

Ginagbaby1 Approved members

Ronin,

We are doing Kenpo Karate. He's been learning different moves, both single and combo's. They start with warm up, run and do various warm up exercises. His Gi has no pockets so has just been wearing his spy belt like he always does. The pants have the drawstring wrap around waist and we put the excess tubing inside the pants. I know that we are a ways off but do you happen to know when it is that they start sparring?

Thank you for your help.

13. Caydens_Mommy

Caydens_Mommy Approved members

We will be going Monday to take Cayden to be evaluated at a Karate Dojo, looking forward to it, very excited, should have more information as to when he will start or what not after that, I am sure I will have tons of questions then.. :)

14. Ronin1966

Hello Ginagbaby1:

Drawstring pants are definately tradition from c. 50's forward. Elastic waistband
    pants are more recent creation & easier for kids to keep tied. The short answer to your question will be determined by two factors.

What their business model is... and how they prefer to instruct. There is one school of thought which I call "the blender" where basicly you start sparring from the first class forward. It is the sink or swim approach to so called martial arts, and is a blood bath approach IMHO. Cannon fodder for the more agressive, "skilled".

It takes a while to get comfortable learning to drive, the basics of an instrument, any new skill. If its an hour per week in class, and some practice at home :D exercises will increase in intensity, and eventually lead to sparring. Too premature and everybody adult/children get spooked or worse hurt not having enough control or technique to draw from. What you get is a primitive "survival" instinct response and not technical learning-reinforcement.

So to answer that question, will depend a huge amount on their philosophy(ies).

Now if their business model is such they hold sparring classes (a new fee $$$$ btw) that too will make sparring sooner rather than later. The sooner ones clients are parted from their money, the better :eek: by that philosophy. (Google the concept of McDojo)

My distates/bias aside, my answer to your question would be that actual sparring is an intermediate skill, which typically takes probably two years with minimal (normal) involvement. There are several slightly lessor activities which eventually build into actual sparring, but done too early and most get hurt, and become scared.

The goal is to offer very specific expereinces, in a very, very precise order so he's got awareness, comfort with his tools and is able to reach, explore the next level, not get run over by the experience.

Sorry for the long answer, I will try and do better next time....:eek:

15. Ronin1966

Hello Savannah:

Happy to help anytime. But whatever you do sign no contracts !!!!
    And just like when shopping for a new car, keep your eyes open, and look around... a couple times. They
    are not going anywhere...

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  16. Ronin1966

Hello Cayden's Mommy:

So how did things turn out???? Its a mutual evaluation thing, see if you like their presentation, and if YOU and Cayden like what you saw....?

Btw, my standard advice is to go watch at least a couple times, if, if you like the feel of the people, and the place. That way first impressions are proven correct or disproved by the second or third visit.

Go without Cayden or send your husband so you can watch and ask questions without having to keep an eye on Cayden while doing it. Without having to be mommy, or daddy respectively, you can observe different things than when in parent mode.

Look forward to hearing