- advertisement -

Karate and Pump

Discussion in 'Sports and Athletics' started by JohnMom, May 25, 2008.

1. JohnMom

JohnMom Approved members

My son is scheduled to get a pump for the first time next month. He is looking forward to trying one out as he is getting tired of the shots. Bless his heart he is really brave about it. Anyways, he is a blue belt in karate and I was wondering when he does his contact sparring what do you do with the pump? I assume he will disconnect ( I think that is the correct term), but my main concern is what to do with the insertion site, ie what happens if he gets kicked or hit on the site? I know I maybe asking questions to early because he hasn't got the pump yet but I like to be prepared. He is suppose to get a minimed 522.

2. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

My younger son did karate for a few years but he's nonD. My D son, plays soccer and has played rugby some. You may or may not decide to disconnect the pump. It will depend on how low he goes from all the excercise, etc. If you decide not to disconnect, there are pump pouches he can wear around his waist, under his clothes. Alex uses one from the minimed site. It's a black pouch on a wide band. The band can be cut to size, as I'm sure it will be big for a 7 yo. But Alex likes his and uses it for sports and for sleeping (and other times). He can slide this to his back or whereever he's most comfortable with it. If he does disconnect, the part left (the site) is rather small and shouldn't be a big problem. If he gets kicked directly it would probably hurt and could even dislodge it but it's pretty small so the chances are minimal. If you do find it's a problem you could put tape over it or other adhesive to keep it from getting dislodged. I think it will be something you'll have to figure out as you go....thru trial and error.

If you don't get enough answers here, you might ask on the parents of type 1 board (near the top of the list of forums).

3. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

The other thing I would recommend is that you don't choose an infusion site that leaves a needle in. I can imagine that if it is kicked in karate, it could be painful and cause damage. Make sure you get one where the needle is removed and all you have left is a teflon cannula.

4. Ronin1966

Ronin1966 Approved members

Martial Arts & Pump Usage compatable?

Hello JohnMom:

Ancient thread but even so....

Given as how I'm a professional karate teacher (ie my day job) and 40yrs a type 1, as well as a former pump user... I might have a few thoughts if there was still need/interest :eek: ?

Stuart