- advertisement -

Juvenile Diabetes and Zyrtec or Singulair

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by clanzi314, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Caydens_Mommy

Caydens_Mommy Approved members

While I do not think that Zyrtec and singulair have anything to do with my son getting D, I will say he took both before getting D...

2. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

This one hasn't been locked down yet? ;)

3. dart65

dart65 New Member

Singulair

Our son was diagnosed at the age of 8. He was on Singulair not for asthma but "seasonal alergies" for the 3 years leading to his diagnosis. Oddly enough, he was taken off of Singulair after diagnosis with no remaining effects of the seasonal allergies. One of the side efffects listed in the literature says "inflamation of the pancreas". Seeing that alone raised our suspisions but no credible link or information has ever been available. Do I believe Singulair is the sole reason my son is type 1, no. Do I believe it has contributed, without a doubt. I just don't know what has to happen to have this kind of oddities investigated. We know the drug companies will not freely disclose these kinds of issues and surely will not investigate themselves. SO what do you do?

Diagnosed; 7/2008 Pumping with Animas One Touch Ping since 6/2010

4. Jake's mom in NC

Jake's mom in NC Approved members

I think we have to remember that we are part of a large community (type 1 families) and within that community there will be concurrent diagnosis', especially ones that are more common such as seasonal allergies. I am an RN and I used to be surprised at the number of people I met who were also nurses or in the healthcare industry who had children with type 1. But when I stepped back from my emotions and thought about it, it is not an occupational hazard (for pregnancy) but coincidence because nurses are a large part of our population as a whole. Also, it is normal to zone in on circumstances that are familiar to you. For example, we bought a gray camry...now I see camrys all of the place! Obviously something has triggered our childrens diabetes, I hope we have the answer someday. It's easy to blame ourselves or a medicine or an illness, but one thing that I have seen is that there doesn't seem to be any ONE thing we can all agree our children did/had/taken before diagnosis.

5. Lee

Lee Approved members

This thread is over a year old and the OP has not come back...just an fyi.