- advertisement -

Juvenile Diabetes and Zyrtec or Singulair

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by clanzi314, Feb 6, 2011.

1. clanzi314

clanzi314 New Member

After talking to several mom's in our area I am trying to find out other parents whose children were diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes and had taken the drugs singulair or zyrtec on a regular basis and was prescribed by a doctor. I have come across several and if there is a relation to this causing this in children I want to do everything I can to get these drugs off the market. Our son was diagnosed last March at age 2 1/2. If anyone can help me with this I would greatly appreciate it!

2. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

Diabetes has been around a lot longer than those drugs. I wouldn't think they would be related. JMO :)

3. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

actually my only kid WITHOUT D is the only one that has taken them.

4. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

I would be exceptionally careful about jumping to conclusions about the cause of type 1 diabetes.

Since you have a child with diabetes, you are bound to meet other parents of kids with type 1 diabetes. Over the counter medications like Zyrtec are widely used, as is Singulair. Had either of these drugs been beta cell toxic, it would have been discovered during their initial trials and they would never have come to market as a prescription medication, to say nothing of the very long safety record required for a medication to move from prescription to over-the-counter.

Remember, correlation does not imply causation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation

5. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

That's us too.

6. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

I think it might be the other way around. I know two people who had hayfever before they went on to develop Type 1. They now don't show any hayfever symptoms at all! Perhaps it is not the drugs that is the trigger - perhaps it the hayfever that is an autoimmune precursor?

7. irishmom

irishmom Approved members

My son is on them after dx...and 6 of my other kids prior to patrick's diagnosis.....Patrick has developed other things since type 1....so I don't see the connections......though Patrick did have west Nile virus...and that was our question if that triggered something in his body.....
    Marcia

8. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Bingo...
    (MTS)

9. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Same here.

10. LARSMS

LARSMS Approved members

I have heard that one of many theories about T1 is that a person has the genetic predisposition to getting T1 and something triggers it: A virus, medication, emotional stress/shock. When we were waiting for a referral to a pedi endo I went to a diabetes education class at a local clinic. The CDE holding the class specifically said that diabetes may potentially be triggered by medicines such as asthma medication. I recall this very vividly because my daughter took singulair for 2 years before diagnosis. She did not have asthma, just seasonal allergies.

I take this with a grain of salt as I do most info. But as I said, it stuck in my brain because it was at a time when I was desperately trying to understand "why".

11. swellman

swellman Approved members

I think this is an incredibly important point to reiterate - that it's human nature, especially when in times of stress and grief, to latch onto ANYTHING that *seems* to answer the grieving question of "why?". The bond between coincidence and grief is an incredibly strong one.

12. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

I couldn't agree more. Could I just add that it is actually quite comforting to be able to "blame" something! I am certain that a virus my daughter had 3 or 4 weeks before diagnosis pushed her "over the edge". It doesn't really matter if it did or didn't, as I am not a researcher, but it stops me looking at other things - genetics, milk or food I have given her... etc. that might make me feel as though I am, in some way, responsible. This was more comforting in the first few years after diagnosis, I am less emotional now, and therefore a little more rational. LOL.

13. SueM

SueM Banned

At the same time it's clear that the rate of type 1 d are such that environmental concerns should be on our radar screen and should concern us. To just throw your hands up and think "Who knows, who cares" is worse, imo.

14. swellman

swellman Approved members

As evidenced by our numerous previous encounters it's obvious that you and I greatly differ in our view of the other side of the coin which is "don't jump to conclusions" and while yours is "Who knows, who cares" mine is "Let's wait until evidence (scientific) suggests."

Furthermore, I do not personally feel that it's productive to act on tossed about or even valid hypothetical reasons until one knows for sure. So, I'm not sure that doing nothing is worse at all.

The "who cares" part is more than a tad offensive as I'm sure anyone on either side of this opinion does, in fact, care.

15. SueM

SueM Banned

Each to their own... Personally I get a lot of great information on autoimmunity issues, possible triggers of autoimmunity, etc from autism researchers. It's great that it's an option for me but at the same time it's disappointing to see how behind the times the type 1 diabetes community really is...

16. Oksana Charla

Oksana Charla New Member

My son was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes at 22 months of age. Too young to be presribed Zyrtec....yet he was. He had had a cold/cough on and off for a while. When I went to the Doc and said I don't know why he constantly has a cold/cough the doctor gave us Zyrtec and said this should take care of it. I was back at the doctor for a recheck a few days later and told him my son was suddenly extremely thirsty, screaming for milk. I asked if the Zyrtec could have this side affect. He said no. Regardless, I stopped giving him the Zyrtec. Within 2 weeks we were back at the doctor with what I thought was a urinary tract infection.......no......it was type 1 diabetes!
    My son is 11 now.

17. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

Ditto here.

Bobby was always really healthy - nothing more than a rare cough or cold his first 12 years. Then a few months before dx, he contracted swine flu - so that's what I blame (based on nothing more than my need to blame something :))

But in reality, I blame ME. I made him, so if there is something wrong with him then obviously my body didn't make him right.

18. lakevictoria

lakevictoria Approved members

We've given both our kids Clariten 5mg for years. My daughter, so far, has tested negative for antibodies so I have to admit that this medication hasn't alarmed me... yet. The only thing that was done differently with DS was I had the small pox vaccine (peer pressure from the ER) prior to getting preggers and he also had 2 doses of the chicken pox vaccine against my will ("they forgot to not give it") as a toddler- even after he got chicken pox they still gave the booster (grrrrr). But these are ONLY suspicions that I keep very quiet about. It's hard not to look back at the "what ifs" as you struggle day to day with this disease. But ultimately, I do believe in a good and sovereign God and I trust that he will work all of this according to His will.

I am quite certain that our "trigger" to DM1 was the coxsackies virus that he got last July. We made our diagnosis in Oct in our kitchen using my neighbor's Bayer Contour. :(

19. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Ive never given Steven either of these medications before. I agree that its impossible to point to any one thing as the trigger for type 1 diabetes. I wish it were possible. There wouldnt be any more diagnosis by now as the trigger would have been erraticated long ago. UMHO there may be hundreds if not thousands of pieces to the puzzle. There are many children who take these medications but dont develop type 1 just as there are many children who are formula fed and dont develop type 1 or are vaccinated and dont develop type 1. All of these things have been looked at carefully to as possible triggers.

I am sorry about your childs diagnosis. I know how upsetting it is at first:( and its very normal to want to find out what is to blame.

20. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

In what way is the type 1 diabetes community "behind"?