- advertisement -

just wondering...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Austins mom, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Austins mom

Austins mom Approved members

My 7 yr old son is pumping and his bs has been high for two days.... Yesterday was between 3-500 all day long so I changed his set last night, today hes in the 300's.... I called the endo they said since no keytones hes probably fine... Hes not sick, no fever and feels kinda lousy but not like sick.

My question is how high is dangerous? Hes in the 3-400s quite often and they dont seem to worried... Im worried about what the highs will do to his body in the long run?? How high is to high... Im really confused.... and hes miserable :confused:

any suggestions?

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I would not be comfortable with either steady or frequent 300+ highs. He clearly needs more insulin, or insulin dosed differently if those highs are coming down and then spiking right back up.

Your endo made no dose suggestions?

3. Austins mom

nope, I jsut got off the phone with them. They said hes probably getting sick which I really dont think he is and that wouldnt explain the other readings within the last few weeks.... They told me to watch him overnight and then call in the am :(

4. mocha

mocha Approved members

I know I feel miserable when I'm running high. :( Poor guy!

Test, correct, and repeat. If he's consistently running high, you might want to try running a temp basal rate (maybe + 20% or so?) to help. It could be illness, but it could also be a growth spurt. Hormones mess up everything! It could also be that the area where you're putting the sets needs a rest. When you feel the need to change out again, maybe try somewhere new to rule that out as well.

So sorry he's not feeling well.

5. Austins mom

thanks for the ideas! I will try a new spot, Set change is tomorrow!!

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Have you been trying to correct through that site? If yes, and if he's not coming down I would change the site tonight and correct AND run a temp basal rate. Have you had experience doing that? Once they get that high for that long you're going to be facing insulin resistance and it's going to take more than a normal correction to get things back down. YDMV of course.

7. Austins mom

no.... No expreience doing temp basel. I have the instruction booklet!! I will look it up!

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

We use a different pump so I won't advise you there, but in terms of amounts, you can either correct and do a longer slower temp basal of say 130% over a few hours which will being things down more gradually or you can correct and do a shorter, more aggressive temp rate of 180 or 200% for an hour - like a super correction. Obviously, I'm not telling you what to dose, just suggesting that a temp rate might be needed.

Good luck. I'm sorry your practice isn't more attentive. Hope he feel ok.:cwds::confused:

9. mocha

mocha Approved members

On the Ping, it's Menu->Basal->Temp.

10. swellman

swellman Approved members

You might want to consider a shot using the pump's suggestion. If it comes down then maybe it's a site thing or pump thing. If it does not then I might suggest insulin resistance as a result of sickness or growth hormones. If resistance I would correct often, like hourly, with frequent testing.

11. Austins mom

thanks everyone for the ideas! Last night we changed site, corrected with shot and then used the temp basel. 2 am he was 120 and theis morning 100!!!

I love this site and you are all great! Without this site and all the ppl here to give suggestions I think I would have pulled my hair out this past 9 months!;)

12. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

I'd take that a step beyond and start looking for a new endo.

13. Austins mom

working on that as we speak!! thanks