- advertisement -

Just wondering...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by NJPHV, Oct 6, 2011.

1. NJPHV

NJPHV Approved members

I had to drop off some paperwork to the school nurse today. She's great..always smiling and loves her job. No problems there, luckily. But I started thinking as I made my way past the line of sniffling, coughing, puking children...that my son comes in this germy room twice a day,sometimes more, and probably, being the 9 year old boy he is, touches every germ infested door handle and object in sight, and then touches his face :eek: Am I being super- paranoid ? I'm really not over protective or a germ-o-phobe at home, but the thought did cross my mind that as hard as I try to keep my son well, I'm sending him into the germ pool every day. Did you ever have this fear, or am I just over thinking this ? :confused:

2. caspi

caspi Approved members

You are SO not alone! And I am a self-proclaimed germ-o-phobe! ;) When my son was in elementary school, the nurses clinic was this teeny, tiny room and I had the same concerns. The school nurse claimed she kept the sick kids separate, but I honestly don't know how. :confused:

I left strict instructions that if a child was throwing up, my son was not to go into the nurses clinic and was to test and bolus in the office, which was right next door. As far as colds are concerned, that's unfortunately a fact of life in school and he knows to wash his hands and/or use Purell. Yes, I'm bringing up another germ-o-phobe, lol! :p

Luckily now in middle school they have a sick room and a well room, similar to the pediatricians office. :)

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I guess I don't worry about it too much. Those same kids are in the library, the lunch room, the classrooms, etc.

4. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Kids who go to school are exposed to more germs than those who stay home... and I think the kids who stay in class are at least as likely to get your son sick as those who actually go to the nurse's office.

But you know what, that would make a great study if it was randomized: Is there a difference in number of sick days taken by students with diabetes who have a nurse come to their classroom vs those who go to a nurse's office?

5. Lee

Lee Approved members

Ditto - this is not your son's first encounter with the germs...

6. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

Our nurse was always really good about making DD wash her hands before testing and all of her stuff was in a room totally separate from all the sniffling, coughing, puking kids. I remember one time when DD had to eat her lunch in the health office because she was low and a puking kid came in. The health assistant strongly urged DD to eat in her office, where kids don't normally tread. DD thought it was cool.

7. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

Eh, not really something I worry about too much.

8. WhoDat

WhoDat Approved members

I believe that going to the clinic several times a day raises their chances greatly for getting sick. The way I look at it is that all of the kids in the school who get sick go to the clinic and there is no way to get rid of all those germs . I've been in the clinic random times and have seen kids puking, lying on the clinic bed ill with fevers etc.. during this time my daughter was sick many times with stomach bugs, fevers, flu . This went on for the three years she was at school and going to the clinic several times a day. Now that we have been homeschooling for 2 years she hasn't been sick even once.

9. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

That is almost unbelievable, being sick so many times and then, not being sick once in two years. Neat.

The way I see it, there are sick people all over the place, movie theaters, restaurants, shopping malls, etc. Teach your children proper hand washing techniques, tell them if someone is visibly ill to avoid coming in contact with them as best as they can, and just live your life.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  10. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

And by the time they're ill enough to go to the nurse, they've already spread their germs everywhere else. I never worried about my daughter going to the nurse's office either. She hasn't been sick any more than she was before dx.

11. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I agree that the sick kids may end up in the nurses office but before they get there they are using the desks, touching the chairs, using keyboards, touching the water fountain, etc. etc. etc. Germs may be more apparent in the nurses office but they are everywhere :p

12. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Oh yeah! Definitely! Steven had strep throat 4 times in 3 months a few years ago. The last time he got it it developed into scarlet fever and he had to be hospitalized:( I have never seen the nurse wipe down any surface in that room with disinfectant. I have thought of offering myself but she's very defensive and would see this as a slight Im sure:rolleyes: I have told Steven to try not to touch anything but he has to touch the door handle to open the door. A couple weeks ago there was a child in there vomiting when he went in to check his blood and get his shot:(

13. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I don't worry too much about stuff like this. DH, on the other hand, will refuse to wait in the ped' waiting area if he so much as hears a sniffle. He has sometimes told the secretary to call him and our son(s) while they wait in the hallway.

14. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Not paranoid. Unless I am too (which is, um, possible...).

Lia used to go to the office for bloodchecks in the early elementary days and even occasionally later and the staff was on top of that issue and without me mentioning it started taking her to the staff meeting room next to the sick room instead. They only used the sick room for her if that room was occupied or she was well, sick lol.

15. caspi

caspi Approved members

I totally agree with this. As I said previously, I am a germ-o-phobe, but by being one, I have been able to teach my kids to wash their hands frequently and be aware of their surroundings. :cwds:

16. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Yep, if they are going to get it they will. I'd be more worried about the door knobs and computer key boards than a quick pop in at the nurse because the nurses office was constantly being cleaned.
    That being said, this is where testing in class comes in handy, less trips to the clinic.

17. Catiesmom

Catiesmom Approved members

Catie knows to wash her hands before testing and to stay away from the other kids in the nurses office especially if they have a backpack with them which means they are going home. She says she tries to go as fast as possible and to stay in her testing corner.

On Friday there were kids lined up for lice checks because several were found to have it. I combed Catie's hair with the nit comb when she got home. No cooties yet! If all germs were so visble...

18. lynn

lynn Approved members

I have no experience with the nurse's office beyond going there myself when I was a kid. That said though, it seems it would be similar to going to the pediatrician's office for a well-child check. Our ped's office makes those appointments for infants and kids with compromised immune systems during the lunch hour so there aren't sick kids in the office.

Schools should have the sanitizer dispensers on the wall outside like they do in hospitals---sanitize in and sanitize out.

19. ashleesmommy

ashleesmommy Approved members

I do think it increases the chance of catching something having to go into the clinic several times a day. However, my daughter has only been sick (and this was a fluke, threw up a little something and that was it type thing) 1 time since diagnosis 2 and a half years ago. I really think it has to do good handwashing. Our nurse makes every kid go and wash their hands as soon as they come in. And we are big hand washers and sanitizers! I have a sanitizer container attached to her lunch box that she uses before she eats. when my girls get into the car from school, its routine, squirt of sanitizer and as soon as we get home we all wash our hands. Honestly, i really think it makes a huge difference!! :)

20. caspi

caspi Approved members

I think so, too! My MIL used to roll her eyes at me when I'd make the kids use hand sanitizer as soon as they got in the car, but considering we rarely get sick, she has now changed her opinion, lol!