- advertisement -

Just wondering.......

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tena, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Tena

Tena Approved members

:confused:Why did it take so long for the D to come out in Emily? She was 14 when dx'd. If she had the autoimmune problem and/or antibodies, why did it take 14 years to come out? She had always been my HEALTHY child. She has only been really sick 4-5 times in her whole life. I see those here who's kids are dx'd at such an early age and it just got me to wondering. Has she had this problem all her life and it was just waiting for a good time to come out or did it just happen suddenly? I am still too new at all this (even after one year still feel like I don't know much). I guess this is a question for the endo huh? Thanks.

2. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

I think it is something that is triggered. I don't have a definite answer as I am not confident in my reply. I imagine you are playing the "why my daughter" questions like we all do and have. You just probably want to really understand what happend. I completely understand that. I think I heard something like 30% of kids have the ability to have type 1, just have to have the right trigger. (If anyone knows if that is true, let me know. I think it is an alarming stat that needs to be verified.)

3. Tena

Tena Approved members

Thanks for your reply. You are right, there are just some days I just want to KNOW why why why. Why her? Why at 14? Just starting High School.
    I wish there were just some answers to my questions. I have read about D and researched. I read on CWD everyday. I want to learn as much as I can. but I still also want to know Why?

I guess I am just TIRED. I just want it to go away!:(

4. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

I give a lot of credit to the parents whos children are diagnosed later in the teens..that has got to be so difficult, because they DO know another way of life ..as opposed to our children who were diagnosed so young and know no other way of life...Does that make sense?? Hugs to you, and your daughter...

5. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

I was diagnosed at 14, and my CDE said it was the best age I could have possible got it at. Anyway, I adapted quickly. We had the crash course while I was in the hospital, where I learned to carb count, test my blood sugar, mix my NPH :eek: with novolog in a syringe (I will never forget cloudy THEN clear :rolleyes: lol) and all of that good stuff. I guess it helped that one of my friends at the time (who is now my BESTEST FRIEND EVER!!) had diabetes since she was 9 (we are the same age). She helped me a lot, and we've grown very close these past few years. And, to tell you the truth I really don't remember life without diabetes, maybe because I don't want to remember, and I chose not to think about it. I have diabetes now, and, until we find a cure, I'm going to have it. And, I'm not going to let it stop me..I just lead a different life now, thats all. I'm still Malyssa, the funny, caring (all what my friend just said when I askeed him to describe me, lol! :rolleyes: ) girl who I've always been, except now..I just happen to have type 1 diabetes, and..I'm ok with that.

Sorry about the extra, random info thrown in there...or is it all random..Idk, lol. I just felt like speaking some inspirational words! LOL :)

6. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

Oh good! I thought I was the only one like this. After a while it just seemed like it was there. And it was a part of me.

Based on the facts it can take years to develop diabetes, and symptoms don't show themselves til you have 90% of the beta cells destroyed. But I never wondered why I was diagnosed at 12. I just thought this was another chapter in what I hope to be a very long book.

But I can see why one would wonder why now, why not later or before. After a while it starts to fade. But like malyssa said, " I have diabetes now, and, until we find a cure, I'm going to have it."

7. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

Nope. You aren't alone. Someone (I forget who :rolleyes: ) once told me that whatever you are going through, you are never alone...there is someone who has either been through it, or going through it now. Idk, but that little word of wisdom has stuck with me for a long time..helps me remember that I'm not alone, and I never will be. :cwds:

8. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

i too was diagnosed at 14 and i have never wondered why it took so long to develop. i have NEVER in the almost 3 years that i've had diabetes asked "why me" i always thought that nick jonas put it best he said "he used to ask why me. and then he asked "why NOT me" it could have happened to anyone so why wonder why me.

9. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

I agree. :)

10. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I'm not a parent, but I have to say that I think that parents of kids about 12 and up at diagnosis have a real option of doing nothing about diabetes, and that a lot of them take it. When your toddler is diagnosed with diabetes, you have to get involved. When your preteen or teen is diagnosed, you don't. It's almost definitely better if you do, but you don't have to.

Furthermore, being older at dx typically means two things that make later care easier: a longer time being sick before being diagnosed, which acts as a pretty good incentive- I threw up more than once per week starting in March, wet the bed a lot, collapsed, had difficulty in school, had vision problems, felt compelled to eat a tremendous amount, wet my pants, had insomnia and wasn't diagnosed until the first of September and NEVER EVER want to be that sick again; and also a longer honeymoon, which I didn't experience.

11. Tena

Tena Approved members

Wow, You kids are great. Thanks so much for all the encouraging words. I guess I was just having one of THOSE days. Emily has NEVER complained the first time about having D. It is mostly me.:eek: The only thing she says she misses is the spontaneous things. Going places, doing things without having to plan out anything and take all the D stuff too.

I am really proud of her and I am also proud of you guys too. You are all my heroes. God bless.

12. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

i can't speak for all the teens on here, but you parents are my heroes. without you all, where would we all be? you parents stick up for us, you are our activits (sp?) i know i don't always appreciate my parents, esp. my mom, but i know all she does is because she wants to see me live a long and healthy life. i don't know where i would be without my mom. so THANKYOU PARENTS. :D

13. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

Tena, I can also really relate to that feeling.

I was diagnosed April of this year, just three weeks before my 18th birthday. My entire family went through the same feelings. Anger, frustration...and of course they asked the question, why? Why now?

My mom said exactly the same thing as you, why did I go 18 years without any issues. I think you have to tell yourself, why reflect on yesterday...instead look forward to tomorrow. For myself, I can look back past April and analyze everything that could have caused the trigger. But in the end, it will not change the fact I have it now. Maybe it will prevent another person from developing Type 1, which would be nice.

14. Carly

Carly Approved members

I was diagnosed 3 months after turning 23 :eek: . I wasn't upset, well maybe for all but a few mins, more shocked. Type 1 diabetes I always thought only developed in children + teens, not when you're an adult.

(((((hugs)))))

15. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Yes, I think it's all about the "triggers". My son was diagnosed at 18. His words were "At least I don't have cancer!" I don't think there's any good time to be diagnosed. We need to find a cure for kids and adults. :cwds::cwds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6ciGoSVNQM

16. MrsBadshoe

MrsBadshoe Super Moderator

I was justs told recently that lots of kids are dx as teens because of the stress that is involved in their lives during these years.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  17. Bob @ Joy of Diabetes

Bob @ Joy of Diabetes Approved members

The good news is that your 14 year old is mature enough to understand a lot more than a very young child may.
    There often is a trigger that starts the process.....mine was believed to be the mumps when I was 9 or 10 months and D at 13 months. It is often viral but not always...
    My thought has always been ...well, why not me.....
    It just is what it is, and I guess I have always had peace with it....
    Keep going................Peace

18. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

[Dear Lantus...We never had that honeymoon either here.

19. My_Dana

My_Dana Approved members

Just curious if anything recent (say within the last 6 months) happened to your
    daughter? Things like any viral illnesses (strep,flu..), major stress leading to illness,
    changes in diet/foods such as new food introduced, vaccines received?

Thanks,
    Ed

20. BozziesMom

BozziesMom Approved members

So while all these symptoms were going on before dx, what was going through your head? It must have been confounding!