- advertisement -

Just wondering how all the amazing D kids are settling back into school?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by XMumofType1aged8X, Sep 9, 2008.

1. XMumofType1aged8X

XMumofType1aged8X Approved members

Hey all!

Just thought that i would post a thread on here to see how all of our kids are settling back into school.

I will start with mentioning that Jack...has been HIGH :eek: since his first day back last week! He has been great at home but on his first day back he came home & he had a BG in the 20's:eek: I see you nodding...thinking my child has been the same!! So as of last night i had to increase his morning & evening dose (going to bed high & waking up high) YIPPEE.....he woke this morning at 8.8 (154?). Fingers crossed!:p

Its your turn now..................

2. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

Kylie has had more numbers in the 200s since starting, but no lows yet. Knock on wood! :) She tends to always go higher rather than lower at this point. Now I'm working with my CDE to see if these higher numbers need to be worked on or it's from excitement. Overall the transition has been quite good I have to say!!

3. XMumofType1aged8X

Tiffanie....i'm glad that the transition went well even if Kylie has been having high numbers through all the excitement!! You never can tell can you!

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

So far, so good. We are lucky because we are in a program called Looping. We had the option to stay on with the same teacher as last year. For us it was a no brainer, the teacher is fantastic and T1 (very compliant at that!) and she and Abby are "diabetes soul mates" in her words!

We are now, two weeks in, just starting some bumpy numbers. Hoping that they will smooth out, or we will probably need to do a school basal program. No biggie. The one tricky thing right now is that we are starting standardized testing. So even though she's not stressed (she thinks they are fun since they are on the computer) we are seeing wackiness since schedules are a bit altered.

5. Emma'sDad

Emma'sDad Approved members

Not really any big highs or big lows yet. But the TA did call me yesterday and told me that her pen was out of insulin. I was like, WTH!?!?! I checked it yesterday and there was plenty. So I went all the way to the south-west side of the city to get home, got a new cartridge, went all the way to the north-east side to drop it off only to see that there was still about 30 units left in the pen. I showed her by dialing 4.5 units and air shot it across the room. Then all the way back to the north-west side basically for nothing. While I was there, I had to contain myself because I 'knew' it was an honest mistake and that she's very good with Emma, but deep inside I was yelling at the top of my inside lungs.

6. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Things have been going good for Tyler so far. Second year in the same school so he and the nurse jumped right back into their old routine. We are still trying to tweak his breakfast insulin and morning snack so that he doesn't need a shot with his snack at school, just his lunch shot. Unfortunately the numbers haven't been consistent, somedays he is in the 100 - mid 100's (great) other days he has been in the low 200's (not so great).
    It was nice to have a stressfree start to the schoolyear:D

7. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

Would have been great if she hadn't broke her right arm last week. other wise she's doing great. numbers seem good.

8. twicker1

twicker1 Approved members

Just started our third week, and no lows since day 3. He's actually been pretty stable, not GREAT numbers, but stable. We're working on ratios. Other than that, everything at school is great.

9. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

Jacob's numbers have been really good over all with no breakfast spike. That really helps him to be able to focus, so things are going really good.:)

10. ange_mom

ange_mom Approved members

David's numbers were high all last week (which is what they want) and that is driving me crazy. Having a hard time getting the boy to eat breakfast. As a result, had a bad low this morning. I don't like being here at home with him out of my control.... I never was a controlling person before.
    I also am having feelings of guilt because my child requires so much extra help and time from the teacher and ta's. I have to just get over it!
    David, on the other hand, is loving kindergarten!!!

11. diamondback688

diamondback688 Approved members

I'm not doing to bad. I'm on my fourth week of classes(Tuesday and Thursday). My numbers have been pretty good; no extreme highs or lows (knock on wood!!).

My classes are OK so far. I have Beginning Algebra from 8 AM until 9:15, English Comp 1 from 9:30 until 10:45, then Wellness Concepts(Which I start today) from 12:30 until 1:40. Wellness Concepts sounds pretty easy.

12. Thoover

Thoover Approved members

Brittneys numbers have been all over the place and ketons. She got a stinking cold and just can't get anything under control. She loves her teacher though and was happy to be back at school.

13. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Ian will start next Monday. I'm already a nervous wreck, as usual:rolleyes:
    He'll have 1 teacher only (last year he had 2) and there's no nurse there. Luckily I live 5 mins from the school.

14. LJM

LJM Approved members

First week we had a few higher than normal numbers. He was nervous starting middle school. He settled down pretty well, but we did have one pre-lunch 57 after we adjusted his insulin to combat the higher numbers. His principal pulled him out of class the first day to tell him his daughter is a Type 1. The school was ready for him, had his teachers ready, and the 504 in place. I could not have asked for a smoother start.

15. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

Number wise I'm doing okay it's kinda a crap shoot right now with what I'm doing probably back on sulfs. I don't have the time to make the apoint. so it's a lot of phone tag. Been low a couple of times so far nothing big. Ive continued to eat in the halls no big deal made out of it yet :)
    Totally bored on my free classes though and totally freaked out by all this grad stuffed other wise doing pretty great!

16. linda

linda Approved members

Em having GREAT #'S and some lows, but doing okay with it, 59-65 she feels them and eats, mostly after comes home, busy with school work and not "nashing" as much I guess plus work load oh and---crutches for fractured foot... think our next a1c will be AWESOME!!!:p

17. linda

linda Approved members

of course we will adjust if lows continue...and are watching carb intake to make sure eating;)

18. XMumofType1aged8X

Paula....I'm in exactly the same position as you! No nurse...1 teacher but luckily we only live a 5 minute walk away!

19. Kaileen

Kaileen Approved members

Weve had one low and one high so far: both times her teacher accompanied her into the office and they called me together. Her teacher is the absolute best! She is having a pretty easy time of it this year.

20. MissMadisonsMom

MissMadisonsMom Approved members

Madison started Middle School 6 days ago. I thought her numbers would be high because of the anxiety/excitement etc., but her first 4 numbers were between 108 and 122 at lunch time. After a week of the nurse checking her numbers she is completely independant at school - unless she gets a funky number. There was a substitute nurse yesterday and they announced over the intercom at lunch that Madison was to immediately go to the office...The nurse hadn't been told that Madison wasn't coming in:) Maddie was completely embarrassed to have her name announced in front of the whole 6th grade class, but I thought it was really great that the nurse tracked her down AND then called me just to verify the information. Kudos to you - Substitute nurse.