- advertisement -

Just wanted to add my mil rant

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by jcanolson, Oct 27, 2008.

1. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

OK, so my mil watched The Doctor's episode on D, and now she's an expert:mad:. She starts telling me about the infusion set that they showed (not sure which one it was) apparently it had a push-button inserter. So she wants to know why we don't use that - we should check into that - less pain - and on and on. We have used comfort shorts from the beginning. Nat doesn't have alot of fat, so her dr. and pump rep (Animas) wanted her to use the angled sets. To my knowledge the only inserter for the angled sets is the inset 30. I have a box of those in our supply closet. Nat screams whenever I have brought them out. She is a creature of habit. She likes what she knows.
    I was so annoyed. With all the research that we have done, she starts questioning after watching a segment of The Doctor's. Yes, I've heard of them. Yes, we have tried them. We didn't like them.
    My dh said next time she starts to tell her that she can start giving D advice when Nat can start spending the night at her house:D.
    Rant over - back to school.

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

tell your MIL that the ones on the dr's show was MM quicksets (Kaylee uses these) and they can only be used with the MM pump and since you use Animas, they won't with her pump.:)

3. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

Then the m-i-l might start saying she obviously needs to be on the mm pump instead.:rolleyes:
    Sorry for you guys but sounds like your hubby had a good answer for her.
    I know nothing of that show, is it a real doctor show or fiction tv?
    Allene

4. jcanolson

I tried to explain that, but she heard something that made her think they could be used with any. I just stopped trying to explain. She wasn't listening to me. The Doctor's are obviously the experts:D.

5. caspi

caspi Approved members

Sounds like a smart husband to me! ;) Right now I am on one of my semi-annual "MIL Fasts" and haven't talked to her in over a week. I have to do this for my own mental health, otherwise I would go insane (not that I'm that far from there as it is! :rolleyes:) She talks to me more than her own son and I just get tired of it all, so I'm "fasting" for another week or so.

Try it, you might like it! :D

6. owensmom

owensmom Approved members

We use and have always used the quicksets with the Cozmo, therefore they may have gave the impression that they may be used with all pumps.

However, if she is really so concerned with pain perhaps your MIL would like to use her rear as a pincushion to test her theory with all types and brands of sets:D (I don't take kindly to criticism of well researched and well considered decisions that parents make.)

7. jcanolson

I like that idea!! :D

8. 2ladybugs

2ladybugs Approved members

I have to add that the sets with the serters are not necessarily the best. We do manual insertion because the noise alone scares the crud out of Bella. :eek: We have done ALL of her sites, less two, manually. The first two we tried with the serter and after screaming so loud that the neighbor called to see if everything was okay, we decided to go manual. BTW ~ we live in a rural area and our neighbor is not "right-next-door"! :p

As for the MIL, sorry I agree with the dh. I'm always at a loss since I have 2 of my own! :eek: I have one that likes to seem sympathetic and one that seems to know everything. Both are unwilling to learn enough to have Bella stay the night and both accuse me of not wanting to teach. :confused: Oh well.

9. ange_mom

ange_mom Approved members

For the person who asked about the Doctors. It is a talk show with 4 doctors. They did a very good job explaining the differences with type 1 and type 2 and did a much bigger section on type 1. I was quite impressed with it. That is definitely not enough info to become an expert! As a parent and wife of diabetics and one who has type 2 myself, I was very pleased with the information given to the public!

10. Bassicmom

Bassicmom Approved members

Our philopophy is give the kid the chioce when there is one. Diabetes has taken away so many choices relative to their own bodies. So... we use two different infusion set lengths and two different methods. And the debate rages on between my kids over which is better. My 12 y.o. has been doing manual insertions on herself since age 9 and it gives her the shivers to think of inserting like her sister. My 19 y.o. has always used spring-loaded and wouldn't think of changing. My 19 y.o. uses a short tubing to not get caught on things. Her little sister insists on long tubing so when the pump falls or accidentally drops it doesn't yank the site out. Nice that the mil is interested.. i think. Great that you have sensible hubby.:)

11. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

Thanks. Well, that sounds promising at least.
    Allene