- advertisement -

Just sharing

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Andy'sMom, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Andy'sMom

Andy'sMom Approved members

So yesterday, we were in the ER with our non-D child (Abby - 2 years old - she has pneumonia and was released). So, the pneumonia is frustrating since it's the second time since Thanksgiving and next step is to see a ped. pulmonologist. Spent sleepless night giving her nebulizer treatments/motrin, etc., oh, and checking Andy's BS in there somewhere - for once, it wasn't him keeping us up all night). Took me by suprise but the first thing they did at the ER (before chest x-ray) was check her blood sugar. Doc says he diagnosed T1 a few weeks ago in ER and only symptom was difficulty breathing. Hadn't heard that one before so worth passing along. I have to say, even though I"d checked her BS about a month ago [I do that periodically with both my non-D kids] and it was normal, for about 15 minutes while we waited for them to bring in the meter, i was SCARED! Thankfully, BS was 91. Also, the boy in the ER across the hall from us [looked about 6/7 years old] was diagnosed with Type 1 as I was sitting there waiting for the Dr. to come see Abby. I couldn't believe they told the dad and kid the way they did - no privacy or anything but fortunately he was not DKA, but BS was 500 [I wasn't trying to hear, but couldn't help but overhear - all doors and curtains were open]. It made me so sad for them, just thinking back to Andy being diagnosed. I did meet the dad before we left to tell him about Andy and that it T1 managable, though frustrating. Made me want to cry for them as their lives just changed in that instant and I was a witness to it. I wish I could have done more for them. Makes me wonder how often that scene is played out over and over in hospitals everywhere .... too often.

2. mommylovestosing

mommylovestosing Approved members

Heavy Breathing is a symptom. It's our bodies way of getting rid of all the CO2 in there when the more acidic pH level (DKA) isn't allowing the red blood cells to pick up oxygen.

At least, that is my understanding. Plus, we just talked about it yesterday in my AP2 class. I think I said it right :).

3. BKKT10

BKKT10 Approved members

Panting is a sign of T1- it is known as Kussmaul breathing and usually occurs when a person is in DKA. It seems strange that labored breathing could be a persons only sympton, but YDMV :cwds:

4. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

We took our daughter to the ER because of difficulty breathing and she was dx'd then.

5. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

My folks have always insisted there was no T1 in the family, but my mom's sister died in infancy from what they termed crib death and my dad's sister died as a toddler from pneumonia. I'm thinking either or both could have been, 50 years ago, undiagnosed T1.

6. lakevictoria

lakevictoria Approved members

Not a day goes by where I don't replay that scene in the ER talking about our DM1 diagnosis which was only 4 months ago. I am still silently crying.

7. manda81

manda81 Approved members

Same for us, we had difficulty breathing, and vomiting. We thought he had a bad cold/flu, and went to the ER expecting fluids. I can't even explain the feeling when the ER doc said "How long has he had diabetes?"

Diabetes hadn't even crossed our minds. We went in expecting an overnight stay with fluids for re-hydration, and instead were life flighted to a children's hospital.

I can't imagine many worse ways to be diagnosed. It was terrifying. I feel for those parents & what they must be going though.

(Not that every diagnosis isn't terrible and saddening, please don't take it that way!)

8. Alex's Dad

Alex's Dad Approved members

I remember too, they were trying to get an IV on my daughter's little arm 3 or 4 nurses around, and out of the blue one nurse says don't worry, diabetes is manageable , we said, wait wait, you mean she is diabetic?, I mean are you affirming that it is diabetes? And she said, yes it is diabetes :(. We knew going to the ER that she had a high blood sugar that's why they send us to the ER but you always want a good outcome.

9. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Difficulty breathing is a sign of DKA only so it's not a common sign of diabetes- only a fourth of type 1s and a negligible percentage of other diabetics are diagnosed in DKA.

I did have Kussmaul respirations at diagnosis but they really weren't my most obvious symptom. To me that part just felt like I was constantly climbing stairs.

I met a woman a month ago who told me that difficulty breathing was the symptom that lead to her diagnosis, even though she wasn't in DKA (and she was 19 at dx). I don't know why that would be.