- advertisement -

Just ordered the guardian

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by Charlene, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Charlene

Charlene Approved members

Hi we just ordered the guardian for Sam. What do I need to know. I really know nothing about insertion, restarts, range, why everyone keeps talking about strips? Could some one please give me a clue! Thank you!

2. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

My experience with the Guardian was that the local rep came and did a training that included the basics.
    I thought he probably should also have given more tips on adhesion.
    Later on, when one of my Guardians malfunctioned and I was told it was because I had taken the battery out while not using it, I thought they should have told me: once it's turned on, you should keep a battery in it all the time. Do not leave it without a battery. They don't think to tell you because the minimed mindset is that if you have a CGMS, you're pumping.

To answer the concerns you came up with:
    1. Insertion the rep should go through with you, and there is a sen-serter. The insertion hurts some people more than others but you may (or may not) want to numb the area first. I also like to avoid doing injections in the spot where I'm soon to wear a sensor.

2. Restarts. After three days, the Guardian will tell you that the sensor life is over. You should just tell it you have put in a new sensor, without touching the sensor or transmitter. There will be a fifteen minute warm up and then it will ask for a calibration and you're good to go.
    After six days, you may want to detach the transmitter, leaving the sensor in, and recharge the transmitter and then reattach it and hit start new sensor. You may not need to.
    If you remove the transmitter, you will need a 2 hour warm up again, like a new sensor for real.

3. Range is supposed to be five feet, but sometimes you'll get more and sometimes less. Feel free to experiment, since once it comes back in range (well, actually, at the five minute interval after it comes back in range) it will give you the history of the blood sugar over while out of range, as long as it was out of range less than forty minutes.
    I do recommend setting the "Out of Range" alarm for about 20 minutes so that, if in the night it goes out of range, you'll be able to get it back in range before the data is gone forever.

4. You can use any meter you want with the Guardian. If you are using one particular minimed meter, it will wirelessly send the number as a calibration to the Guardian if you set it up to do that. You may not want it to, because adding in calibrations can affect accuracy.

3. Charlene

Thank You sooo much!

4. Charlene

Ok so I did my first solo insertion. He has very little fat so it was not easy! I tried to do his belly so that the sensor might work longer and it is bleeding a lot. Is this normal?

5. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

How much is a lot?
    With minimed, a small amount of bleeding can be normal and some say it even predicts better sensor performance. A lot of bleeding is not normal with any system.
    You might want to call tech support.

6. Charlene

Well not like bleeding everywhere but quite a bit. I took it out and we did a new one. I just dont think he has enough fat there so we hit muscle. I think we will just stick to upper bottom from now on. Thank you for answering me though.