- advertisement -

Just informed we have no insurance as of Sunday...What do I do??

Discussion in 'Insurance Issues' started by makuahine, May 28, 2010.

1. makuahine

makuahine New Member

Do to my husband being laid off, we have just found out that we have no insurance as of this Sunday, May 31st. My 5 year old son is Type 1 diabetic and I have no clue what to do. I have applied for Medi-cal, but due to so many applications, even on an emergency basis I can't get an appointment for another month. What in the world are my options for my son???

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I'd refill any prescriptions you can and keep calling that number.. usually an emergency they'll get you in a lot sooner..

3. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

You can pay for the insurance through COBRA with your husband's former company.

I would refill all your prescriptions before Sunday.

4. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

You should definitely try to pay your cobra premium if you can. There is help from the federal government for people laid off right now. The federal COBRA subsidy is a program that lowers the cost of employer group health insurance coverage for people who have lost their jobs. The subsidy covers 65% of COBRA monthly health insurance premiums for unemployed workers and their families. The subsidy went into effect February 17, 2009.

The COBRA subsidy is part of the 2009 American Recovery and Reinvestment Act and the 2010 Department of Defense Appropriations Act. It is a temporary program. The subsidy is available to workers terminated from their jobs from September 1, 2008 through May 31, 2010.

You are eligible for the COBRA subsidy if:

* you were laid off from your job from September 1, 2008 through May 31, 2010
    * you were laid off involuntarily, and not because of gross misconduct
    * you had health coverage through your employer's group health insurance plan when you lost your job
    * your employer continues to offer group health insurance coverage
    * you elect COBRA coverage within the time limits
    * you are not eligible for another employer group health plan or for Medicare
    * your income for the year will be no more than $125,000 (individual) or $250,000 (family). You can get a partial subsidy if your income is no more than $145,000 (individual) or $290,000 (family).

The subsidy applies to all federal COBRA plans for employers with 20 or more employees, and to all state-required COBRA plans for smaller employers.

Good Luck. Lay offs are really scary. Living through it right now too.:(

5. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Are you worried about emergencies or day to day costs?

For us, we signed up for COBRA but the paperwork did not go through for a long time. So we were without insurance technically, but as soon as the paperwork went through we were covered retroactively. So you should sign up for COBRA and then if, in two weeks, you have a better plan in place you can ditch them but if you have costs that come up you can get COBRA to cover it retroactively, if that makes sense.

I agree on refilling prescriptions ASAP, and I'd talk to an insurance agent, you may be able to get personal insurance for some in the family, at least, and then as of September I'm told you can get everyone on it.

I'd also consider talking to the HR department at your husband's work if there's any chance you could wheedle or guilt them into leaving you on the books for another month so you can get set up.

So sorry about the layoff.

6. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

Before the federal subsidy kicked in, Cobra used to be prohibitively expensive. But even when it was outrageously expensive it was a good option because there are significant problems if you go more than 60 days without health insurance and then want to get some. So for many reasons I recommend that you go for the Cobra now and work out alternatives later.

7. makuahine

makuahine New Member

Cobra

I was not aware of subsidized Cobra, I will look into it. Unfortunately, because of my husbands lay off, I don't know how we could afford Cobra. Unemployment barely pays our rent alone. The amount they are currently asking for Cobra is over $1000 a month. How do I find out about subsidized Cobra?