- advertisement -

just how "expired" would you use a test strip?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by valerie k, Jun 17, 2015.

1. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

embarrassingly enough, I found a stash of test strips that are a year out. Thanks to insurance, I have plenty for matt. I wonder if these are still working to give them away. They just got packed up in a box when we were re-doing our dining room/living room floor in hardwood. they have been in the house the entire time, never getting to hot or cold. I hate the thought of waste...

2. swellman

swellman Approved members

I might try a control solution or perhaps 3 if it's one that has 3 and see what I see. Is it a year past the manufacturer's expiry or when they were filled? I probably would not risk strips 1 year past expiry.

3. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

I found some Accu Chek ones that expired in 2008 - they were pretty spot on with the current meters I tested them against.

4. dpr

dpr Approved members

We just had a malfunction with our main meter today. The strips for our extra meter expired May of 14 and they worked fine and were right on. I had to reset the date on the meter to 2013 to get it to work. I think as long as the strips are kept at a fairly constant temperature and dry they probably have a very long life. Expiration dates keep the profits up.

5. wilf

wilf Approved members

I would test them against current strips (maybe 3 tests) and use them if they seemed reasonable. :cwds:

6. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

With the exception of antibiotics, I use meds that are far past expiration date. I've never had a problem. I agree that most expiration dates exist to keep profits up. Just my opinion, however...

7. swellman

swellman Approved members

I have to say, having a resource actually in the pharmaceutical industry at a level that would know I can say with confidence this is a very cynical view of the industry as well as completely wrong. Shorter expiration dates actually have a negative effect on sales and competitiveness.

8. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

My daughter used some NovaMax ketone strips when the Precision X-tra meter went missing. They were almost 2 years expired. Not ideal, and definitely not recommended by our endo, but better than nothing. I was glad she was testing ketones when she felt she needed to. They read something like 0.3 when the urine strips said nothing.

9. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

we've used BG strips that had expired about 4 months previously. If you're going to use them i'd just every once in a while compare them to non expired strips if you can. That's what we did and the expired ones were always accurate with non-expired strips. We've used ketone strips that were up to a year expired.

10. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I'd use them, unless I had good reason to think they weren't working right. Like someone else said, In a pinch, expired strips are better than no strips. I'm not sure what insurance says about giving away supplies they paid for, but I would feel wasteful to just throw them away.