- advertisement -

just happened in fl

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by shirley83006, Oct 25, 2008.

1. shirley83006

shirley83006 Approved members

this just happened here in fort myers, florida. there was a mess of cars that got into a car accident. and the person that started it was someone who had a medical emergency and it turned out the person was having a low.

2. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Printing for the young man of the house who will be driving alone soon. Thanks!

3. ToddsMom

ToddsMom Approved members

My husband has been in 3, yep count em ... 3 car accidents because of LO's. Thankfully none of them involved another car. One of them, he passed out behind the wheel and hit a tree in someones front yard. The last one he flipped his truck.

4. skimom

skimom Approved members

And he is allowed to keep that drivers license ?- that is a frightening idea.

5. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Very scary, I do have my license, and have only had 1 drivng low in my life(after swimming with my employer doctor 25 years ago). Wasn't smart enough to give up driving then, now with the tighter management I'm all for not driving with diabetes. TOO SCARY! And I always checked before getting behind the wheel and every hour when driving long distance.

I haven't driven in 7 years now! And never will again, these stories terrify me and I don't want to cause an accident!

6. ToddsMom

I guess so.

7. linda

linda Approved members

Sorry-Did i miss a link to the story, or am i missing the point??
    Cant these situations be avoided by checking b4 getting behind the wheel?
    I have never driven long distances (leave to dh and friends and fam) maybe Em will have the same habit?:confused:

8. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

I didn't see an article. I think she was just telling us about it.

It CAN be prevented by testing before driving and testing regularily if driving a long way. It doesn't hurt either to make sure you are aware of hypos or make sure you test more often if hypo unaware.

This is one of my biggest fears with Alex....that he'd have a low while driving and not only kill himself but someone else. Fortunately he doesn't have a car at college and hopefully he'll mature during college b/c he wasn't always testing before driving in hs.

9. ange_mom

ange_mom Approved members

I always drive if I am in the car with my hubby. I have seen too many lows. After begging and pleading he finally agreed to test before driving the 1/2 hour home from work at supper time. Anytime he is late, I worry. 11 more years before I have to worry about david!

10. TerpSteph

TerpSteph Approved members

Ditto this! We bug Matt constantly about testing before driving.
    If he's 100 or lower, we want him to eat some smarties. (He prefers them to glucose tabs. :) )

11. ToddsMom

I believe this too. He was not testing regularly, if at all. This is a point of contention for us, and one I am hoping will change soon.

12. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

Long before Alex was dx, I had a friend whose husband is T1 (I think...shows how much I was paying attention back then). He had a number of accidents (minor) b/c he went low and lost his job b/c of it. We haven't talked in a long time so I don't know how he's doing.

But I do fear that Alex will do things like this. He already has driven w/o testing often, but I was able to take away the keys when I'd find out. And now he doesn't have a car at college. But once he gets his own car, etc and isn't at home for college breaks, I won't be able to control that. I just have to hope that he'll mature and realize the possible consequences of not testing before driving.

13. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

Phillip has just started going on bike rides on his own and I've told him he won't be getting a drivers licence until he can rememer to test before going bike riding. I think that's good practice for him. And I do worry about him going low on his bike as well, since the exercise sends him lower.

14. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

crossing fingers that they have the continious monitor in the cars when matt becomes of driving age. It would be swell if it went as far as to shut the car off at a certain point in a blood sugar drop.

he is 9, 6 more years to wait.:(

15. grantsmom

grantsmom Approved members

Even though my son is only 12, when my 18 year old daughter was 16 and 17 she had one small and one very serious accident. She and the other driver are lucky to be alive.

I have told my DH that our son will NOT drive until atleast 18. D is just icing on the cake when I come to this opinion.