- advertisement -

Just got our One Touch Verio IQ today

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ashtensmom, Jun 21, 2012.

1. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

And, so far I like it. The screen is super nice to read. I thought I wouldn't like the way the strip wicked up blood without the tip that the freestyle strips have, but it was not a big deal.

The case is a little bigger than the freestyle case, but it has nice pockets to organize your lancets, extra battery for pump, treatment, etc. I especially like the inside zip pocket with the divider, as lancets and an extra battery goes in the hidden part and the then there is a see-through mesh part where I can put sticky notes to DD about her lunch carb count. We used to just use a sticky note, and I was leary about it falling out but now I can rest assure that she won't lose it.

We haven't tried the pattern alert yet since we log every BG still so not sure if we will use this function.

The big winner here is the readability of the screen.

2. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

Does it have a light?

3. Deal

Deal Approved members

Let us know how it works out. We found the number of strip failures to be a problem.

4. ashtensmom

Yes, it has a very bright light!

5. ashtensmom

Hmmm. That would be a problem. I'll let you know if we find this too.

6. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

We have had the same problem. Strip failure before even being told to put blood on the strip. We used up all the sample strips we got from the Endo immediately. So we didn't get much of an opportunity to try it out. Not sure I want to push my insurance to cover the new strips if they are going to have an incredibly high failure rate.

Love the easy to read color screen and the strip light though.

7. piratelight

piratelight Approved members

Hunter just got a VerioIQ on Monday from the endo. He loves it. He qucikly went through the 10 test strips but asked for more. Thankfully our insurance covered them no questions asked. So he is going to try it for 3 months and go from there. He didn't have any problems with the 10 test strips. Hopefully that will continue. I'd love to have the pattern alerts right there to see.

8. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

does it talk to the pump?

9. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

I did a search, must not talk to the pump, however, it has already had a recall on it. I fould two sites on google right off the bat, has the issue been fixed?

10. ashtensmom

Just to confirm, no it doesnt talk to the pump. I also asked one touch if they plan go integrate it the the future and the answer was no. The recall was when it first came out and have been 100% dealt with according to the rep I spoke with.

We have been using it about a week now and dd loves it. I did charge it once already as well, although I don't know if it was required yet or not. When it drops one bar, it is between 30-85% battery life left....which I think is quite a range...one that I wasn't comfortable with going out for the day, so I charged it. Not fond of having yet another device to charge!

The strips for us is roughly the same price as the freestyle strips. It is very light weight. We do not care for the pattern recognition feature.

Overall, feature by feature (not considering the pattern recognition), we like this meter better. However, the charging is annoying. I don't think I have to worry about it running out while we are out for the day so long as we do not ignore the battery low warning, as it gives you ample notice.

For now dd is excited to use it and it makes testing more pleasant. So the verdict is if it makes her happy it makes us happy:D

11. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Thanks for this thread. I just found out we are being forced to switch from the Freestyle to the Verio. Not very happy about that. Especially because the price of the strips is basically the same. If there was a huge difference it might be easier to swallow. I don't need the Pattern feature because I log every number anyway, and it appears you have to "tag" numbers, which seems like extra work. Not looking forward to having to charge the meter every 2 weeks. And it takes a slightly larger blood sample size. I just don't see any upside to switching. But I am going to give it a try and see what happens. I guess I could always appeal.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  12. ashtensmom

Christopher, I think you might be pleasantly surprised and learn to like this meter. I really doesn't use that much more blood (and I mean when we prick the finger it's always more than 0.3 anyway:). I admit charging the meter is not ideal but think I can get use to it. The screen is really really nice. Hope you like it.

We log every number too so the pattern rec is useless to us. So we skip the tagging step and just turn the meter off after checking.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  13. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Thanks very much for the post. I think I am just grumpy for having to change something that has been working very well for her. I am sure we will adjust to the new meter, and like you said, maybe there will even be some improvements. They say the tests strip analyzes the blood sample 500 times, so maybe it will be more accurate? And it kind of has an iPod type look, so I am sure she will like that...:cwds: