- advertisement -

Just Diangosed on Jan 8th...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Abuchanan, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Abuchanan

Abuchanan Approved members

Hello everyone. My nine year old daughter was just diagnosed last week with type one D, and i feel like I am overwhelmed and confused with infomation. Last week I took her to the doctor because she started dropping massive weight and because she just looked sicker and sicker everyday. She was admitted to the hospital and I was told your daughter is diabetic and she is in DKA. My world has not been the same since! I came here hoping someone might could help answer the questions i have. I dont feel like her endo is avaiable enough for me! Which I know she cant be every second but I am scared and fear my daughters health and life! So here are my questions that may help the way I feel.

How many carbs are too much in a meal?
    Why does her BS go so high after eating if I am dosing her per carbs before she eats?
    How high is too high?
    What happens if it gets to high! All they talk about is low sugars, but she is running 4 and 500 sugars all the time.
    What are some good things to cook her for dinner. All we have been eating for the last week or so is fish sticks, chicken nuggets, turkey sandwhichs on wheat.
    Does it ever get easier?

Please help anyone! I know yall have been there and have the most honest opinions!
    Thanks,
    Amanda

2. Kirsten

Kirsten Approved members

I'm sorry you had to join the D club, but welcome. Have you met with a dietician yet? I didn't find the dietician to be very helpful when we were in the hospital, but at least she gave us some guidelines. Your daughter is probably hungry all the time, since her body will be trying to catch up from her weight loss. I found it helpful at first to offer low carb foods a lot for the first few weeks after diagnosis. Foods like sugar-free jello, string cheese, any kind of meat w/o breading, and drinks like crystal light, koolaid jammers 10, and Minute Maid fruit falls.

Hang in there!

Kirsten

3. Abuchanan

We met with a dietician in the hospital and then ago two days ago in clinic. I did not find her very helpful. She was too busy changing her sliding scale to counting carbs and a correctional dose that we wasted the most part of the appointment talking about that.

BTW do eggs have carbs?

4. hallenbeckfamily

hallenbeckfamily Approved members

Wecome Amanda, I am sooo sorry you had to join us. I vividly remember the rollarcoaster you are on,we are still on it too. My 6yr old Chris was DX 3 1/2 months ago. Everyone told me it would get better,I'd eventually feel less panic,and I have to say they are right. It will get better,or should I say less overwhelming. I was a wreck for the first 10 days,soo stressed out I dropped 12 lbs in 10 days. My first piece of advice is DO NOT EVER feel you are bothering the Endo.I did at first too but its their job and more importantly is that this is a new dx and will require ALOT of tweaking. Thats where the Endo team comes in and helps you figure it out. And relieve you or your concerns and fears. Read all you can and when I first joined everyone told me to go to the ADA website and JDRF web site ( I'm sure someone will post you the links). They have the best info AND they will send you out info and books for you and your daughter,also help you get in touch with others in your area to get support. That was a huge help to me to not feel so alone, coming here too. As far as spiking after meals with having given a correction just means you have some adjusting to do,the Endo will help. Did they give you a insulin to carb ratio? And its ok to let her eat the foods she wants, you don't really have to change the diet. When Chris was dx I stopped letting him eat alot of things but after coming here and talking with the Endo was informed let them be kids-the reg,normal kids that they are. That is the blessing (if you can really say there is one) to type 1, you can eat what you want and correct with insulin. I'm still very much a newbie, I am sure you will get some better info as more reply to your post. I just wanted to tell you your not alone-ever- we are always here to listen,share info, and sometimes vent and cry with you. But it will get easier, it really will :cwds:. Feel free to email me or send a personal message anytime. Big hugs to you and your family~Jennifer

5. Abuchanan

Thanks for responding. We are on a 1:15 Carb Rate, Nuvolog Flex Pen and 12 units of Lantis at bedtime.

6. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

Hi, Welcome!
    I was told to feed my daughter as I always have - that being said we did eat an awful lot of packaged food in the beginning so that I could read the lable rather then try to figure it out on my own. So I don't think you really need to worry about how many carbs per meal unless your endo, or diatician tell you otherwise.

Sounds like you need to tell your endo about this, and ask for help in maybe changing the carb ratio. Do you have a correction factor or insulin sensitivity factor? That is the amont of insulin needed to bring down high b/g's of certain levels. If not, ask for one. If so, is it working? We had all of our doses change, and still do sometimes, seems like it is always changing. Ideally your endo will teach you how to change the dose when the old one is no longer working, but for now call your endo and ask for help making changes.

Everyone has a different range where their b/g needs to be depending on age and ability to feel lows. Because lows can be so dangerous and there is such a imedeate risk with lows, that is probably why lows are the focus. You really need to ask your endo for your target, but there are a lot of websites such as the ADA, and JDRF that have general guidelines that you can look at to get an idea, your endo may suggest a different one, though.

If your daughter is running in the 400-500 range you should be checking her ketones so that she doesn't go into DKA again. We are told to check ketones for anything over 240. You may want to ask your daughters endo about this one too as s/he may have different number for you. You can buy ketone strips over the counter at any pharmacy for pretty cheap that you hold in the urine stream, or you can buy a special meter that detects ketones in the blood, and is kinda like a blood glucose meter. ketones show up 2 hours fast in the blood then the urine, so they are best, but not alway afordable.

It doesn't get easier, but becomes more routine, and as you gain more knowledge you will be better equipt. I am so sorry that this is something you, and your daughter have to worry about, and deal with. Please make sure to take time for yourself so that you don't burn out.
    I hope all is well, Jamie

7. Abuchanan

Before meals we check her BS and do 1:15 carbs and any BS over 200 we minus 150 and then divide that by 50 to get the additional units of insulin to bring down her BS. Normally her BS is good before meals so she does not get the additional dose. Then two hours later she spikes to 400 and I have no clue what to do. Yesterday I called the endo and left a message at 9am and did not get a call back till 4pm after the doctor was gone. So I will still be clueless till Monday.

8. Abuchanan

I do have the ketone strips. Should I use them everytime her BS is over 250? Or do I just do it if its high all day? Just asking because like today it went like this

8am 95
    10am 409
    1200 198
    2pm just now 242.

this is why i am so confused

9. Momof4gr8kids

Everytime it is above 240 because ketones can develope, and skyrocket quickly.

Julia went from having between small, and medium ketones to darker then large in 2 hours once when she was ill.

10. Abuchanan

Thank you! Thats one question answered! And thats just crazy how this little disease works!

11. Momof4gr8kids

If you correct anything above 200, then anything above 200 is to high, ketones happen above 240, or so I am told, so anything above 240 is to high, and needs to be looked at.

Did your daughter eat at 8am, and noon?, and then the other two numbers are additional checks?

12. Abuchanan

yes she ate at 8 and 12 and the other two were just because she got a head ache. She always gets a bad headache when they get high

13. EmmasMom

EmmasMom Approved members

Hi Amanda,
    I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter's dx's, and the overwhelming stress that goes along with it. :( It will take time to adjust to everything, but you will, and she will be OK!

If she's running very high two hours after she eats, but then dropping a lot in the following two hours you may have too much Lantus and not enough insulin for her carbs. She should be back near her target range around 2 hours after she eats if her bolus is correct.
    Is the Lantus causing her to drop at night?
    Many kids also need a lot more insulin for breakfast than any other meal, so that may be the issue with the spike around 10am, very common problem, but fixable with an adjusted insulin to carb ratio.

As far as ketones... I don't usually test unless I get two readings over 300, but that's after a lot of experience with my daughter. It's best to be extra cautious in the beginning with both blood sugar testing and ketones until you really know what to expect.
    If she's running a lot of 4-500's she needs to have more insulin, so continue to call the endo for advice and don't feel bad about it!
    Her diet will be able to return to normal, but in the early days it can be easier to control these big swings with a diet that's slightly lower in carbs and sugar. Once you have her carb ratios well established she will be able to eat just like she did before.:)

Please feel free to ask any questions you have! There are a lot of great people here with a lot of experience and advice!

Welcome!

14. Abuchanan

Thanks to everyone for answering my questions. It most defintely helps a bunch!

15. Momof4gr8kids

Julia sometimes does, too. I have been told that she shouldn't, but our nero said it is probably from dehydration.

I am so sorry that this is going on. I hope it gets better, and that you can get that carb ratio fixed.

16. Abuchanan

Oh one other thing I just remember when you spoke dehydration it triggered my mind. Makaela gets these (i call them charlie horses) in her hand all of sudden. What happens is her pinky finger and hand below it all the sudden sinks in.

17. Momof4gr8kids

How is her ring finger when that happens? There is a nerve that runs intot he lower half of the ring finger, and the pinky finger.

18. Abuchanan

Her other fingers go up and her pinky sinks in. its almost like how your hang would look when throwing a baseball.

19. lisahackman

lisahackman Approved members

Hang in there - it will be really crazy for awhile. Alexa was dx this past Oct 18 and we went from 4 units of Lantus up to 8 units of Lantus in 3 weeks. Now we are at 1 unit of Lantus!!!! This is just in the past 3 months. You daughter's body will be adjusting as it gets used to having insulin again. I completely agree that it appears that you are not getting enough insulin with meals but are getting too much lantus. That is what happend with us. Alexa would be in her target range 2 hours after eating but would need a 15 carb snack between meals. The endo's office said that she shouldn't NEED a snack to keep her bs up so they kept lowering her lantus.

Good luck and please keep posting. The support here is great.

20. Momof4gr8kids

That is deffinately something to have checked out. Maybe someone else knows what it is.