- advertisement -

Just Diagnosed

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Brookiesworld, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Brookiesworld

Brookiesworld Approved members

Hi- i found this site a few weeks ago and have read several posts and found it very informative and a little intimidating. My daughter was diagnosed on Memorial day of this year. after a flight in the helicopter and a 6 day stay in little rock childrens hospital and now a few weeks on our own, i am finding myself really stressed out. My little girl is 6 years old and I am really scared of all of this. She is doing really well with the diagnosis (better than me) I find your lives encouraging and helpful. We are still trying to find a Endo closer to home, Little Rock is 4 hours for us so we have been going to Tulsa which is 2 hours away but there is an Endo in Rogers, Ar. and this would be only 20 minutes for us, but he is not a Pediatrician Endo, do you think that it would matter if he wasnt specialized in pediatrics?

2. MikailasMom

MikailasMom Approved members

Welcome! Sorry you have to be here but I am glad you found it! In answer to your question I would think a ped endo, if you have the choice, is probably your best bet. Adult endos and peds endo are different in the way they look at things, adult endos dont deal with growth spurts horemones and kid type stuff the same way a ped one does. We had to see a local endo when dd was dx because like you the peds one is 2 hours away. Just when we though we had it down in the hospital we get home and go to an appt with the peds endo and he changed everything! They have a knack for making diabetes kids friendly, at least ours does. I honestly think the peds endo is more on top of technology available to help us manage this disease too. These are just my feeling of course and you have to do what you think is best for your child. I wish you luck and again, welcome!

3. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

Welcome!
    Sorry to hear of your dx experience, but so glad to hear your dd is doing so well:cwds:

4. HBMom

HBMom Approved members

I would first find out if the endo has any ped. patients at all. If he doesn't I would probably go to a ped. endo. If he does have some ped. patients, I would consider seeing him - maybe you could have a consultation before you make a decision??

5. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

Welcome.. sorry you have to be here.

6. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Hi and welcome -

Children do have different considerations vs. adults with T1, everything from smaller doses of insulin to variability caused by growth hormone that adults don't have to contend with.

What's most important, though, is that your endo is on top of the latest information, research, and technology related to treating children, which does not necessarily require them to be specialized in pediatrics. The difference between a competent, informed endo and an incompetent uninformed endo can be astounding in terms of how your child's management, quality of life, and health outlook will be in the coming years. Many endo's are archaic in their knowlege of T1D management, while others are extremely knowlegeable and helpful.

Some ways you can tell if your endo is a good choice - Do they make it a priority to help you achieve the best possible BG management (vs. being happy with letting BG "run high" perpetually); do they set a long-term goal of A1C under 7%; are they up to speed with the latest research and importance of not only low A1C but also variability in BG; are they up to speed with the latest insulin pump and continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) technology and do they have any hesitation prescribing these devices to a recently diagnosed child if the parents desire to use them? These are all questions worth asking your endo about and evaluating the answers. If you get any feeling of hesitation or resistance, it might be good to interview a second endo before deciding.

In the long run, you will also benefit from being as informed as possible. Read all you can in books and online, and here at CWD. Good luck and post any questions you have!

7. lauraqofu

lauraqofu Approved members

Welcome and I'm so sorry you have to be here. This board has been the most amazing support for me and my T1 girl, a lot of times getting information for me before I could hear from the endo gets a chance to call back.

8. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Hi and welcome to our community.

I am sorry for your child's dx.

I would seek a ped endo, if possible. Perhaps people here who live in the are where you live can suggest a few good ones.

Don't feel intimidated. Post away your questions. There will always be someone to help you, or at least, show you support. Sometimes there may be differing opinions, but that happens in real life too, so we take what helps us and that's it.:)

I get you about the feeling stressed. Once you get into a routine, then maybe you'll feel better. But it takes time. The main thing is to enjoy life, while kicking D's tush at the same time.:eek:

9. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

Go with the 2-hours-away endo. Well, at least I would. Ours is a 12-hour flight. After reading Darryl's post, I realized how archaic our endo here is.

Anyway, I am really sorry you have to be here but know you'll find a lot of answers to your questions and you'll get cyber-hugs as well. My daughter is also 6, she was diagnosed last April.

Hugs.

10. Ginagbaby1

Ginagbaby1 Approved members

I just wanted to say hi and welcome. My son was also 6 when dx and he also did much better than we did with the dx. If it were me, I would choose a ped endo if at all possible. Like Darryl said, type 1 children are a little different than type 1 adults. I know it doesn't seem like it right now but it will get easier.

11. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Well hello and welcome!:) We all know exactly how your feeling right now. We remember those feelings of dread and hopelessness. I used to feel as if I'd been kicked in the stomach after Steven was diagnosed. I'd wake in the morning and hope that it had been a bad dream. I want to promise you something. You wont always feel this way. Once you get to know diabetes better you will come to accept it as part of your life. For now be patient with yourself. Come here and ask questions or to just ask for some support. It will be there for you any time day or night.

I think its very important to have a pediatric endo care for your child right now. There will usually be a diabetes team made up of the endo, a CDE (certified diabetes educator) a dietician (may also be the CDE) They will all work with you to help you manage your daughters diabetes, keep her healthy, and most importantly, do anything she wants to do while being healthy.

12. Livie's Mom

Livie's Mom Approved members

Hi & Welcome - Sorry you have to be here. I'm in Arkansas also. We live in Heber Springs and drive to Dr. Frindick in Little Rock. I do have a friend that lives in Rogers whose son also has type 1. They see Dr. Sandler in Springdale. Would that be close for you?

13. dmom19921

dmom19921 Approved members

deleted post

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012