- advertisement -

Just Diagnosed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lizzie101, Mar 2, 2010.

1. wilf

wilf Approved members

Whether it's ok to wait a day or two depends on whether you've got ketones to go along with the high blood sugar. If there are ketones present then things can go downhill and get very dangerous very fast.

I strongly recommend calling your parents and letting them know what is up, and to keep very close tabs on how you are feeling. If you start feeling really bad then don't delay - head to Emergency.

Best thing would be to line up someone who can take you now, so all you have to do is make a quick call if it comes to that.

Good luck with this, and please if you can keep us posted otherwise you'll have a lot of friends on here worried about you.

2. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

Lizzie, I'm echoing what everyone else said. Don't delay -- you can begin to feel really bad really quickly. I'm glad you found us. As Bennet (Badshoe) said, you've got another family now, and we want to help. :cwds: Oh yeah, and call your mom. She'd want to know. :) And if you've got questions, head over to the parents forum -- most of us hang out there and an answer will be quicker. We're also (a lot of us) on facebook, so feel free to friend any of us (my fb name is at the bottom of my signature) just mention CWD.

Good luck.

3. melissajm

melissajm Approved members

Just wanted to check in & see how you are doing.

4. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

In case you are not aware, you can buy Urine Keytone testing strips over the counter. You do not need a Doctors prescription for them. A box of 50 is less than $10 at WalMart or similar store. They are easy to use. If you find your Keytones are high (or large) test again to make sure and try to get professional help right away.

5. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I was a sophomore in college, my mother took me to an internist (that's an adult doctor) and she tested my blood sugar and it was 425. She gave me a prescription for an oral medication and told me to make an appointment with an endocrinologist for Tuesday (it was a holiday weekend). She called that evening to say that she was wrong and that I needed to head to the ER. The oral med probably wouldn't have done me any good.

A lot of adult doctors assume that diabetes is going to be type 2 and slow onset, but particularly since you are young, that may be wrong. It may be right- there's no way to know yet. But right now, you should check urine ketones and head to a hospital if they're positive, or skip that step and head to a hospital.

6. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

Hey Lizzie

Checking in, hoping your absence means you are getting some care and training.

7. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

Just now reading this and hoping that you are OK! Lizzie, I'm betting you have found a way to our unfortunate club. Please PM me if you'd like to talk to someone who was diagnosed Type 1 under similar circumstances. She was ending her freshman year in college, and got pretty sick. She's a great girl and a good cheerleader for my 2 daughters with D. I know she'd love to give you some support on how to do college and D!

8. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Hi Lizzie,
    I just read this and am concerned. That number is too high for anyone. I am assuming it is type 1 but people with type 2 can be that high as well. The fact is I am sure you must feel awful. Please if you haven't already, go to the ER. We are all worried about you and please let us know how things are going. I definitely would not wait till you get an appointment with an Endocrinologist or till the appointment with your regular doctor. This sounds serious.

9. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

Has anyone heard back from Lizzie? I hope she is ok..how scared and to be away from your home and family is extra scary..I pray she got some help and medical treatment..(and as the mom in me) I hope she called her mom!

10. Alba37

Alba37 Approved members

I saw Lizzie's thread the other day and I keep hoping for news too. I hope she is ok and lets us know very soon.

Aileen

11. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

She's been absent from the thread, but was on the forums early this morning. I hope she responds so people will stop worrying.

12. Lizzie101

Lizzie101 Approved members

Thanks for all your concern. The doctors office called me the next day and said get in here now. I'm on insulin now and just trying to learn the ropes. Thanks again for all your advice and care.

13. Alba37

Alba37 Approved members

Hi Lizzie

I am happier knowing you've been seen now and started treatment. Thanks for letting us know. It will take while to get your head round it all, when you have more questions you know where to come.

Take care

Aileen

14. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

Thanks for the update Lizzie.

I know it sounds crazy that a bunch of total strangers were worried for you but that is the nature of the type 1 community. Should you ever feel the need, that community is always only a few clicks away.

I am happy to know you received the prompt attention you needed. Most of all I am impressed, as I said before, with what a good job you did of being your own advocate.

Wishing you all the best as you learn the ropes and for your future success.

15. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Oh, good. What insulin regimen do they have you on?

16. Lizzie101

Lizzie101 Approved members

I am using Lantus at night and Humalog with meals. I'm so glad to have a place to turn to to ask questions when I have them. Right now it's just overwhelming trying to learn everything but I'm sure the questions will come soon.

17. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hi Lizzie, how are you feeling now? I hope you are feeling lots better now that your on insulin. Im very glad that you did find someone that would treat you. Come back in here and ask questions when you need to

18. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

Lizzie,

I'm glad you found us! We're here if you need us. In the beginning it is very crazy and you feel very overwhelmed. Things do get easier and better as you go along.

Thanks for letting us know how you are doing.