- advertisement -

Just Diagnosed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lizzie101, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Lizzie101

Lizzie101 Approved members

I was at the doctor yesterday for excessive thirst and urination. I got a call this morning that my blood sugar was 347 and I had diabetes. They scheduled a followup for next Tuesday and didn't tell me anything else. Is it okay to wait this long? I am a college student and I'm in a small town so there aren't really many other doctors in town and the office hasn't returned my calls.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hi Lizzie, So you mean that you are not on insulin yet is that correct? How are you feeling? Are you weak? Fatigued? Does your stomach or head hurt? Im not sure I understand why they wouldnt get you started on insulin immediately. They said you had type 1 diabetes or type 2? If it is type 1 they should have sent you to an endo immediately to be put on insulin. If you are feeling unwell you should go to the emergency room for treatment as waiting too long to start insulin could lead to a dangerous condition called diabetic ketoacidosis.

3. Lizzie101

No, I'm not on insulin. They just told me over the phone. She said the doctor had to determine whether it was type 1 or 2 but I am nowhere near overweight. I really don't feel good. I'm tired all the time, nauseous, and really thirsty. There arn't any endocrinologists in town so my appointment next week is just with a family practice doctor.

4. Becky Stevens mom

Lizzie are you in the US? Is there someone who can drive you to an endocronologist? If you do have type 1 diabetes you need to be on insulin. the way the doctor who diagnosed you is acting is completely unprofessional and is risking your health. Are you with your parents or away at school? I think you need to be seem right away if your blood sugar is high and you dont feel well

5. Lizzie101

I am in the us and I'm away from home. The nearest endocrinologist is over 2 hours away.I'm just confused because the doctor's office acted like it wasn't a big deal but everything I've read online makes it sound otherwise. Thanks for your speedy response.

6. Richard157

Richard157 Approved members

Lizzie, I agree that you should go to the emergency room at the nearest hospital. If you wait until next week with blood sugar that high you could be in very serious trouble. They may give you some insulin at the hospital to bring that blood sugar level down. A level of 100 is ideal, so you are much too high!!! '

In the meantime, prior to seeing the doctor next week, you should eat low carb food. Lots of raw vegetables, protein, etc. Avoid cereal, bread, rice, milk and other high carb foods. All carbs raise the blood sugar level. Drink lots of water, it helps with high blood sugar. Exercise helps to lower the blood sugar too. Be very careful until that doctor appointment and you should be OK.

I have been a Type 1 and used insulin for 64 years. I am very healthy! You can live a long, healthy life if you establish good control and hang on to it.

Let us know what they say at the hospital.

Richard

7. Becky Stevens mom

Oh you are here from another country. Im sorry you are far from home and not feeling good. Is there someone, a friend there at school who could take you to the emergency room? Is there an infirmary at the college where you could get help? Im just very concerned that you arent feeling well and the doctor isnt taking this very seriously.

8. Lizzie101

No, I'm not from another country. I'm just really far from home. There is a health center here on campus but it is already closed for the day. Is this something that I can until they open in the morning for or do I need to go to the hospital now?

9. Becky Stevens mom

Lizzie I think you should go to the ER tonight if your not feeling well but thats the Mom in me talking. have you talked to your folks about this? Im sure they are worried about you too. The problem with type 1 diabetes is that the pancreas isnt making insulin so your body isnt taking in carbs for energy and is now producing ketones which can make you very sick. Thats probably whats making you nauseous. I dont want you to start vomiting as you could become dehydrated quickly. Do you have a roomate with you?

10. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

When they took the blood for the test... how long had it been since you last had anything to eat? Was it a fasting test?

Anyway you look at it 400s are serious numbers. There is a good chance you have diabetes. There is also a very good chance that of it is type 1 you have some insulin production going on still.

You need to see a doctor sooner than next week. Tonight or tomorrow.

Where are you - what state and town?

11. Lizzie101

It was a fasting test. I hadn't had anything to eat for about 14 hours before. I'm in Maryville, MO.

12. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

Well that is a big fasting number. Like they said above 100 is about normal.

I bet you are thirsty. Drink lots of fluids but not ones with sugar. No sodas or juice. They just pumps more glucose in and at this point the only way you are clearing it out of your system is peeing.

I bet you are also a little on the scared side. That is very understandable. I have to give you credit you figured it out sooner that I did with either of my kids. Yeah either I already had one kid with type 1 and didn't see the signs you have described until she was in the 600 range. That is a bad range.

You are going to be OK. Anyone who is as tuned in as you already are is going to be able to self manage.

Have you called your parents? Probably a good plan. Call'm now talk with them get their advice.

Going to the local ER is also probably a good plan. There is a very good chance you going to a hospital anyway so may as well go early.

If you don't go tonight go tomorrow. And if you don't go tonight be sure someone checks in with you.

13. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

Northwest Missouri State?

14. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

Heartland Endocrinology
    901 Heartland Rd Ste 4810
    St Joseph, MO 64506

(816) 271-1343

Maybe you call and get the emergency on call number and ask a local doc. Looks like they are 20-30 miles

15. Lizzie101

Thanks so much for your help. I did call Heartland and the on-call nurse reassured me and told me to call back in the morning to try to get an appointment. She agreed that I needed to be seen before next week but seemed to think I would be okay until the next day or two when I can get into an endo.

16. Becky Stevens mom

Hi again Liz, Im glad you called someone. For tonight if you have a roomate ask them to keep an eye on you. If you start vomiting tonight or are acting confused have them call an ambulance. Also remember to drink lots of plain water, nothing with sugar in it and try to limit things like bread or pasta or alot of carbohydrates till you are seen

17. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

I agree with the others - you should get to a hosptial ER as soon as possible. Even if you saw an endo, all they would do is send you to the ER anyway, as you'll need to have your BG normalized under supervision, then you'll need to be trained on what to do from there. If you can't get to a hospital tonight, keep carbohydrates to a minimum (most foods list carbohydrates on the label). Lots of food like cheese, meat, vegetables, and of course diet soft drinks have no carbs. Even milk is not too bad, only 12 carbs per cup. Just keep carbs as low as you reasonably can until you get to the hospital.

18. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

Glad you made the call.

Check in and let us know how it goes over the next few days.

So you know - You just adopted a new family here.

19. MyBoys'Mom

MyBoys'Mom Approved members

Lizzie, honey, take care tonight. You'll find the people on this board so helpful and loving.

Let us know how things go tomorrow and if you have any questions at all!

Sally

20. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

Definitely pay attention to how you feel and tell your roommate now that if you seem sick to call 911. You will probably ok until tomorrow and until you see a Dr but you may get much worse quickly.

And call your mom!