- advertisement -

Just back from our D centre Opening...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by chkpea, Oct 30, 2010.

1. chkpea

chkpea Approved members

they have just moved locations from a very small house to a large victorian home so the they had a Halloween Opening today. It was interesting as I observed a few things....1. Only two of their staff were there and a few board members. I would think at something so grand that staff would want to be there and perhaps a few dr's?
    2. I noticed only one other person doing a finger poke - even though we were there during a bbq.
    3. I spoke to some parents who sat down beside us - whose son was eating cake - who didn't get a shot for it - but of course I have no idea what his bs was going into the cake....but they didn't even seem to talk about it. THey also said that he has been going low overnight that they just figured this out by checking him last night - they never check overnight.
    4. The drinks that were for "sale" were pop, juice, and koolaid jammers. THere was diet coke. I let James have a little pop if we are at a special event - occasionally..but usually we try for gingerale. Just surprised at jammers and juice! Does anyone out there let their d child have koolaid jammers/juice and cover with insulin? I am stumped as why they would even provide that since most of the kids there have d.
    5. They had cake. Someone had mentioned about there being carb counts for everything, so I half jokingly said to the lady who was serving the cake (who was a board memeber)- do you know the carb count and she says "I don't do carb counts - in half snotty tone)

I am just sharing my observations. I know YDMV. But again I am just sharing because want to.

I am happy that our d centre is in a happier place - it's a beautiful property and house. And I am happy that they say they are going to be starting support groups, and other groups. I guess I just wish that these kinds of events (this is our second one) would just be a little more overall friendly. I think the one thing that I learned from today that I want to become a little more involved (perhaps volunteer) and learn more about the ins and outs of the centre.

Oh I know it sounds like I am totally judging people but I am merely just observing things and sharing here.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  2. lauraqofu

lauraqofu Approved members

Okay, maybe it's just me, but I'd be very concerned about any D event that employed anyone who said they "didn't do carb counts." That's just weird.

At our last class/appointment with the CDE team, I was struck by the differences in all of our approaches to D. There was only one other family that had more than one parent, or extended family members. There were people who hadn't even seen the Pink Panther book, which is weird, because that was given to us at diagnosis, and you'd think something like that would be standard across the health care system.

And I do let Cass have capri suns or jammers...whatever juice pouch that's on sale when I'm shopping. But only at meals when she's going to have a shot anyway. I was never big on juice or things like that between meals, anyway because of the sugar/cavity thing...

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  3. chkpea

chkpea Approved members

She is a board member, so I am not sure of her background with D or her motive to be on the board, but really to scoff at carb counting kind of bugged me.

4. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

CWD lesson #1 - you are not surrounded by your typical diabetes parents here. :) parents you meet in the wild are not the same beasts. Lots of people are doing D care in lots of different ways and most of the time it's not really the same, or as involved, as what you see here. Being here, it all seems normal. When you get outside here, you realize that there are parents walking around who have no clue how much insulin their kid takes, what their ratio is, or even what type of pump they use. Sad.

5. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

Jeff, Tim and I went to the JDRF Boo Fest last Friday evening to help out. Tim and I manned the beverage station where we made sure everyone knew Juicy Juice was 15 g carbs, Capri Sun (I think) was 8 g and the Minute Maid Just10 drinks (10 calories) were 2 g. There were water bottles, too. No soda/pop. At the pizza table next to us, the carb counts were provided for each type of pizza (cheese, pepperoni, etc.). It was very well organized except for the lack of utensils.

The only thing that kind of bugged me was that the women serving the pizza (I think they were nurses, maybe even CDEs) were not going to keep the GF pizza separate. I snatched all the boxes of GF before they were opened and put them on the beverage table. I even verbally reminded some people not to touch the regular pizza, then the GF pizza. I have learned through the CWD Conferences that if it's GF, you should keep it separate to avoid contamination.

So, while some diabetes events are very well organized, others are not.

6. mommylovestosing

mommylovestosing Approved members

AMEN! I've run into a few of them myself. I even had a friend comment to me about it...lol. She noticed how un-interested the mom was and thought that was odd because she knows me so well!

7. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

People usually don't notice when I check my bg. I've been at a type 1 support group starting to eat and somebody will say, "Aren't you going to check your blood sugar or do a shot?" and I'll say, "I just did!"
    While people miss me doing a fingerpoke, they also won't see if I check the CGMS. I assume people can press a button on a pump, especially if they have a remote, extremely easily without you noticing.
    The no carb count on cake is discouraging.

8. chkpea

chkpea Approved members

oh yes I know, and I know they were checking their bs. With a 4 year old we are usuallly noticed

Another thing that was really odd was I was speaking to a staff member there who looks after fundraising there and I was saying how it was nice when we asked people to sponsor our team for the walk they were all giving $50 and up. She responds well people feel more compelled to give when there is a sick little one. I was speechless....I am thinking I should follow up...

9. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Definitely! There were a few things you mentioned that should be brought to the staffs attention.