- advertisement -

just a vent

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by zimbie45, Feb 12, 2011.

1. zimbie45

zimbie45 Approved members

I havent been here in a while but i needed to vent...

My dd daughter who is 10, was going to be able to experiance her very first sleep over at a non diabetic friends house this week end, not once but 2x.. Friday night then anouther friends on saturday night... BOTH for her best friends birthdays.. ANd with the parties in between and a dance in there too.. Well in rushing around yesterday befor her school dance. She lost her PING glucose monitor between the car, walmart and target... ITS GONE.. WE of course did not discover this till we where on our way to the dance.. ( whice we never made it to... ) I back tracked all our steps... BUT I cancelled all her fun this week end, no parties, no sleep over no nothing... ( a bit of a back ground.. She got her dexcom back in december and accidently ruined it with water, which they dont cover, we had a replacement which was our old one that still worked and she broke that in january.. ) so now the ping remote in feb. I hate diabetes, I hate it, I hate it I hate it.

BUT its a huge thing on responcibility. and lack there of.. SHe is only 10 and she has had this for 6 years so its not new to her.. IN 3 months time she has broken and lost $800 worth of stuff ( this is how much it will cost me to replace them ) UGH im just frusterated and wanted to vent MOSTLY out of the FB area since she is on there and i dont want her to feel any worse then she does...

Thanks CWD family for listening

2. FloridaMom

FloridaMom Approved members

I'm sorry that happened. I have to say though, I think I would still let her go. She has SO much responsibility having the big D at such a young age. It's only natural that things will be broken or lost. It's not her fault that she has to be responsible for such expensive medical devices.

Hope I don't offend....just hoping to bring another opinion to the matter.

3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Sorry Chandra:( That is so tough. On the one hand you want to teach her to be responsible for her things and on the other you want her to be able to have fun with her friends.If she had a Nintendo DSI those are costly or an Ipod touch are very expensive. You would want her to be very careful with those items so she needs to learn to be careful with her diabetes equipment as well. Maybe try to work with her on remembering where she puts things down, have her think about it before she puts the item down and then even write it down where it was placed ie: on counter in rest room at Target for example. If she has to write it down each time she will get better at remembering where things are put.

One summer, when I was about 8 or 9 I lost 3 pairs of glasses :( My parents could ill afford to keep buying me new pairs. After this my Mother made me use a glasses chain so that I couldnt take them off anymore and just set them somewhere. It was kind of embarrasing but I didnt lose anymore pairs of glasses;)

4. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

I'm sorry for your loss.

The day Jeremy received his PDM, I called my insurance agent (State Farm) and had them add it as a separate, full-value, no-deductible item to my insurance policy. I sent them a photo of the PDM with the serial number.

While Insulet will replace a broken PDM, they will not replace one that has been lost or somehow misused. I now have piece of mind knowing that if Jeremy looses it, the $600 PDM is covered at no expense to me. It's absolutely worth the $52 per year premium.

5. FloridaMom

That is a GREAT idea! I'm going to do that Monday morning.

6. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

It's tough being a parent. It's even tougher when you add in diabetes and the extra responsibility to the mix. I NEVER tell anyone how to raise (punish, reward, teach...whatever) their children and I highly doubt you are looking for opinions on your methods. I hope you find the meter and that your daughter learns from this mistake. Again, all I can say is that parenting is hard, but worth it in the end. Good luck.

7. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

that really sucks..

About insurance thing.I couldn't get ours nationwide to cover pump with rider in case it was lost. They misrepresented themselves years ago, telling me that they would, but after I switched they wouldnt,

8. FloridaMom

Like I said - didn't mean to offend. It's obvious this post was directed toward me. If you knew me in real life, I doubt you would have posted that. I'm not judgmental. I wasn't telling her what to do. I was just throwing out there that sometimes we put a lot of responsibility on our CWD and it's hard for them to always come through.

9. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

Actually, it was not. It was my own opinion and not directed to you at all. If you knew me, you would know that I have NO ISSUES saying that a post is directed at someone. Honestly, I skimmed through the posts and just replied. Try not to be so sensitive.

10. FloridaMom

I have no words! No words.

To the OP - I hope you are able to get a replacement and she will keep better track of it.

Other than that, I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

11. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

That really stinks that it was lost. I hope that maybe it was turned into one of the stores you were at.

I usually don't have Tyler take his Ping Meter with him, he uses either a onetouch mini or another Onetouch meter we have kicking around for out and about, they are easily replaced. Although I am sure he wouldn't lose his phone or Itouch, he may misplace his meter:rolleyes:

12. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I am 30 and I've lost a ping remote (which I did later find, but not for 6+ months, and I'd already replaced it) and I've ruined a dexcom receiver with water, not once, but TWICE in the last year. My iPhone also went swimming in the toilet right before Thanksgiving. Am I irresponsible, or did I just have a string of bad luck?

Personally, I'm of the mind that things can just happen... and accidents are truly just that - accidents.

13. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

What a frustrating and disappointing weekend for you both. Just wondering how she carries her stuff around? Does she have a purse or bag? My dd uses a cinch pack to keep everything together (she's not into purses yet). Maybe once you are both over the emotions of this weekend you could try to engineer some more fail safe methods for dealing with D equipment. Kids are just spacey though sometimes - my 15 year old left his phone & wallet at the gym this morning (and the phone is usually surgically attached to him!). So much harder with D stuff when you can't just say, "Oh well that's rough if it's gone for good. So sorry for you honey."

14. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I'm sorry this happened to her and to you. Vent away.

(for the discussion area of things...if you're interested)
    Have you watched the JoeS video that is stickied up above? He has lots of good advice on similar situations (ie how to discipline AND be a diabetes parent) . I highly recommend it for everyone.

15. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

Oh, something else that I have done that is worth mentioning on this thread.

I have a P-Touch label maker and have made some labels that says " This is a Diabetes insulin pump" Then I have Jeremy's name and both our phone number and cell number. That way, if someone finds it, hopefully with this information, it will be returned to us. I have also entered all our cell numbers and our CDE name and phone number in the user info section of the pump so that if someone were to turn it on, they would have this info too. (in case the label comes off.)

I think it is important to identify it as a diabetes pump (CGM or other medical device) because if it gets lost, chances are that the finder will not know what it is and might not comprehend how important it is to try to find the owner.

I have put the labeling on the back of the PDM where it can easily be seen, even through the case.

16. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Sorry you are going through this. I agree, this is a good place to vent but people are also going to give their opinion on things and that is OK too. You can either take it or leave it.

My opinion is that she is 10 and should learn responsibility, but this specific incident sounds like maybe it was an accident. You were rushing around between the car and several different stores. Kids that age lose things. Adults lose things too. This was a huge weekend for her and her best friends. Maybe a compromise would have been letting her do only one sleep over, or maybe making her pay a portion of the cost of replacing it. As opposed to completely canceling everything. She has been burdened with this since she was 4 years old, and will be the rest of her life. Missing out on all the fun her friends are having may make her resent having diabetes more than she probably already does. Just a thought.

It is really hard as a parent of a CWD to walk that line between normal developmental expectations and giving them some leeway based on their diabetes....good luck...:cwds:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  17. zimbie45

zimbie45 Approved members

Thank you all for your thoughts and advice . I had a day to calm down. YEs she is still only 10, and it was an accident. So where the other tiems too. ITs the first time oops, no biggies,, 2nd time was ok you really need to be more careful. 3rd time was a REALLY!!! type moment. She did not get to go to the sleep overs.. BUt I am going to let her go to the offical party for one of them tomarrow... IT still is gone... I think ( ASSUMING ) that she dropped it out of the car door or left it on a shelf and some one probly took it thinking it was a cool game thing or something.

IT just sucks soem times being a parent!!!

18. wilf

wilf Approved members

This is one of those situations where I'm really glad we're on the low-tech side of things. When you're on MDI with an Accucheck meter then this sort of issue does not arise.

I can see you venting. I could also see her venting. I think the consequences were too severe. I mean how does this not end up with your child hating the diabetes, and hating the high-tech gear?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  19. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

10 years old, that's just the beginning. Middle schoolers are a hot mess! Its a rough time, going from a kid to a grown up!

I hope you find the meter.

I have grown kids and one at home. Am ready for stuff (cellphones and the like) to be washed, jumped into the pool with, lost at friends houses etc. it is par for the course. I tried to always give them cheapo cell phones until they got more mature. I guess since I heard your story now that my teen was dx I will make sure he takes the cheapo meter with him when he goes out too.

20. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

I remember my boys going through a forgetful phase, seems to happen during growth spurts for us.

Sorry your having a rough time. It is frustrating when things get loss.

Thanks Jeremy s dad for the label suggestion good idea.

I had a return address on ours, your post made me realize to chk it, guess what, it wore off.:cwds:

So now we added a ID card and another label.

Also silver pernament markers work great on the black case...w name and numbers.