- advertisement -

Just a vent for people who "get it" . . .

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Blue, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Blue

Blue Approved members

At our last endo appointment our a1c dropped over a point . . . Of course they told us to "keep doing what you're doing!" and "you're doing great"!

Today someone finally had a chance to review our logs and get back to us. Today they told us to "stop tweaking his ratios" "Lantus won't cause a drop after the fast acting is done - that's not how it works!" and (my favorite) "you're pricking him too much - you don't have to check at three hours after giving insulin. Just check before he eats the next time unless it's going to be a way long time" . . . Um. Okay. Right. So now that you've actually LOOKED at what we did that lowered his a1c we're all wrong and we should go back to following your instructions mindlessly.

I'll get right on that. :rolleyes: and ;)

End vent.

(and no, we can't change endos . . . Sigh.)

2. GreenJenny

GreenJenny Approved members

sometimes it is so frustrating! I feel your pain.

3. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Well, it looks like you're taking your own advice and doing really well with it! Too bad they can't reward your good care with some pats on the back! Thankfully, you know what you needed to do and you did it! Good for you!:)

4. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

I totally get where you're coming from. Our last endo appointment we had almost the exact same thing happen.

"Congratulations!"...."Great A1c"....."Can't do much better than that"...."Now let's see if we can ease the burden of care." and....."It's been 2 years, are you still afraid of lows?" :confused::confused::confused:

Colour me confused!!

Fortunately, there is another endo in our practice we will be seeing from now on.

5. joan

joan Approved members

What bothers me most of all is that you have a toddler and they are telling you to cut down on checking bs. That just tells me they have no idea what you are going through as parents of a toddler with d. I would always check my son when he cried, he looked tired, he ran all day, he was thirsty, he was having a temper tantrum, etc...because how are you are suppose to know its not bs related. That is such a petpeeve of mine.

6. Blue

Blue Approved members

Mine too. When she questioned one check that was two hours after insulin I told her that while I don't remember why I did that particular check that I always check him because his active insulin is done, he wants to eat, he's been having random lows, he's been very active, he's being unusually quiet, he says he's "tired", he says his tummy hurts, and many other reasons but never because it's fun. I still don't think she got the point.

7. Blue

Blue Approved members

Oh my. I hope the new endo actually knows what they are talking about! I hope you told them the only thing that would ease the burden was a cure?

8. Blue

Blue Approved members

Thank you! :cwds:

9. Kazee6

Kazee6 Approved members

I check the boys on the schedule we have created as well as anytime I find it necessary to. Our endo has come to terms with the fact that I am overly sensitive about the boys health and will check as many times has I think I need to.

10. Midwestmomma

Midwestmomma Approved members

I just LOVE how Endo's or CDE's try to word things sometimes...:rolleyes:

We had our Endo appt a couple weeks ago, our A1c was .7 higher than the time before...and she says...." Well the last one was so good because you were more active." :eek:Umm...lady... he is doing basketball or practice for basketball at least 4-5 days a week from September to March...Then it warms up and he is outside from the time he is out of school till dinner..then back outside till almost dark. He is ALWAYS active !!!

I wish I could bottle "T's" energy and drink it myself.:D

11. BKKT10

BKKT10 Approved members

A drop of over a point in A1C IS awesome...keep up all of your great work!

12. mandapanda1980

mandapanda1980 Approved members

Great job on the drop! :) it makes me grteful we have such a great endo team. They praise us for checking so often. Just smile, say ok thanks fr advice, and move on. You're doing great!

13. monkeyschool

monkeyschool Approved members

Sounds like we go to the same endo. I was told to drop my 3am because Lantus has no peak. Also told to drop after lunch one, but that's been the time when DD keeps dropping low.

14. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Congratulations on the improving A1c!! I don't envy you dealing with a toddler--and it sounds like you're doing a fantastic job.:)