- advertisement -

Just a vent: Am so sick of vomiting!!!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by DsMom, Mar 14, 2012.

1. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Nothing new...most of us have been through this. I don't have any questions or need advice...I just need to write.

He was just sick before Christmas with a vomiting thing...and here we are, back on the bucket again!:mad: He woke up at 6am saying his tummy hurt, so I immediately gave him Zofran (his brother had thrown up on Thursday). He got up, no fever, was hungry, ate breakfast, was naughty and loud as usual, so I sent him to school. But, he ended up throwing up.:( Now, it's large ketones, and BG checks every hour...and I'm so TIRED of this!!!!!!! Just gave him some more Zofran (although it did nothing last time), and he is drinking some water. Managed to keep down some regular ginger ale, so I was able to bolus him. Time for another ketone check soon....blah, blah, blah, same old stuff. Ahhh, those good old days when vomiting only meant holding the bucket, rubbing their backs, and knowing it will be over soon.

This comes on the heels of my older son (nonD) breaking his wrist on Sunday afternoon at a friend's house and spending yet another sleepless night in the ER. He's actually doing really well now...it was a bad break...but he was a real trooper.

Can I make a retroactive New Year's wish....please, please, please, let me go at least 2 years without seeing the inside of an ER...is that too much to ask???:rolleyes:

Okay, rant over. Ketone check time. Wish us luck.

2. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

$#@%#%#&&&%$#!!!!:mad: Ketones still high.:mad:

3. Ginagbaby1

Ginagbaby1 Approved members

Just wanted to say how sorry I am that you are going through this again. David injured his neck, followed by large ketones and had to spend the day in the ER, where he contracted an upper respiratory virus and my 5 yr old daughter contracted the stomach flu. Now I'm just hoping that David doesn't get that too. It seems like this year is really bad with lots of different viruses. Is he still keeping the ginger ale to keep the ginger ale down?

4. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

I'm so sorry you're going through this again. It seems to be a bad year for viruses around here, including a couple of different tummy bugs.

I hope you're past the worst of it.

5. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

I hope the ketones clear fast...the throwing up stops immediately and you NEVER have to see an er for a long time! :cwds:

^^^^this made me laugh though! :)^^^^

6. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Ah crap!:( Sorry Julie. I so know how you feel. In the first few years after Steven was dxd we went to the ER 3 times for this. Is the ginger ale flat that youre giving him? I know Steven cant tolerate the fizz if his stomach is upet. I so hope that all is better tonight and your boy is right as rain in the morning:cwds:

7. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Hey everyone. After a loooong night, he has finally turned the corner. Just had some water and toast, and is keeping it down...and being loud and naughty again!!;):)

He could not keep anything down yesterday for more than 10 minutes. The ginger ale was flat, and even water came right back up. Got worse overnight...he was heaving at least twice an hour...got zero sleep after 1 am...he got a little between his bouts with the bucket.:( I actually did not even bother checking ketones after that last time:eek:...I knew they were there and I couldn't do anything about them. I was desperate to avoid the ER this time...and at 6am was getting ready to go...but turns out that was the end of it. He started feeling bad at 6am yesterday, and started getting better today at 6!

Just feel I can never win with these tummy bugs. I wanted so badly to keep him out of the ER, but in the depths of the night with him being so sick...I started feeling I should have gone. But...when I DO go to the ER, I feel guilty for putting him through it and feel I would have been able to handle things at home and should have stayed there!:rolleyes: I know we'll be working on clearing those ketones all day today..but I think we would have been in the same place had we gone to the ER...at Christmas, we still had large ketones the day after.

So disappointed that the Zofran failed us this time.:(

Well, off to the pediatricians later today. My oldest daughter probably has an ear infection, perhaps Strep. This is like a plague house lately! The only one in school is my son with the broken wrist! He was NOT happy about that one!

Thanks for reading (if you got this far!):p:eek:

8. Lynnieg123

Lynnieg123 Approved members

Julie, I feel your pain. My son had the stomach bug mid January. Then Arden, my diabetic daughter, got it, we ended up in the hospital for a few days with her, then she was ok for a week and then got ANOTHER stomach bug - barely stayed out of the hospital on that one. A weekd later my other daughter got it. While she was out of school Arden came home sick again but didn't throw up. A week later I got it, then a few days later my husband got it. It has been misery. Arden still hasn't been the same and complains of a stomach ache every day. We joke about putting the hole house in a bubble until this passes. It is horrible when any kids is vomitting but so much harder when that kid is diabetic.:(

9. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

So sorry it's been a rough cold, flu, bug season for everyone. :( Here too. dd is home sick again along w/ her brother. Much as I'm tired of vomit and snot, I think I am more tired of school personnel who question whether the kids are truly sick again - yes they are, and if you're so full of doubt, you're welcome to come clean up the next round of puke. Days like today, homeschool has much greater appeal!!