- advertisement -

Joining a running club

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by danielsmom, Oct 15, 2012.

1. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

My active boy has decided to join running club. Which will be held on Thursdays after school. They will be trained in proper stretching and to run extended miles up to 5. So any recommendations? I need to get him a fanny pack or those packs they put around their waist. Beside tabs and meter, what else should I be aware of. I've sent the instructor an email about Daniel and the school nurse will be contacting her also. Plus he needs physical exam clearance(as all student running will), so I've sent his pediatrician an email for that too. Danie is very excited.. He loves running which he does plenty of during P. E. and soccer. Any of your kids runners here?

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

My daughter does track. We are on the pump, so we are able to unplug for the duration of practice, then decrease basal for a period after. Having a good protein snack is really important. We did pb & j sandwich, uncovered. She used a spibelt with her meter and some glucose gel in it. Because our practice was in the evening, I would work out on the track, so I had the glucagon.

You might want to have him sipping gatorade on days with longer runs to help keep things steady.

3. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

They will eventually be running off campus, so I want to make sure he has a buddy of some sort. Also I see the spibelts are small, how do they carry a drink? And can I find a variety at the sports shops as opposed to online.

4. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Most runners hold a drink, strap one at their waist or be sure to drink enough before the run. I would be sure he dirnks a gatorade before he starts.

5. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Hana runs track in the spring. For some reason, track practice makes her numbers go up, not down. Swim practice makes her go down. I have not been able to figure this out.
    I would try to find some sort of belt he can wear that he can carry some tabs or small glucose drinks in. I don't worry so much about her carrying a meter when she is running. If she felt low, she would just eat or drink something and not bother testing first.

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Same here. DD carries tabs in her spi-belt but no meter. The meter stays at the track where they start and finish.

7. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Carson ran XC this summer and ran his first 1/2 marathon in September. He sipped gatorade during his runs with a handheld bottle made for runners. You can get them at any Sports Authority or running store. He also ran with tabs in a spibelt. For shorter runs he unhooked the pump. For longer runs (over 1 hour) he kept it on in his pocket and turned the basal down to 50%. You need lots of quickly digested carbs when running. Along with gatorade, he would have GU (a running gel with 25 carbs) every 5 miles. Basically he needed about 20-30 grams every 5 miles and his blood sugar stayed incredibly steady.

He did not carry a meter or Dex. However, we would strategically place the meter on the runs at our coolers so he could check around mile 8 or so. If he was higher, he would have water instead of gatorade.