- advertisement -

John is on the ventolin inhaler need suggestions

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mapoe4, Jan 2, 2012.

1. mapoe4

mapoe4 Approved members

Hi. I hope everyone enjoyed their holidays.
    I haven't posted in a long while, I have been trying to read but just not posting. That's a long story so won't bore you with that.
    Friday John's pediatrician put him on the ventolin inhaler for his asthma. He has been on albuterol before thru the breathing machine. I do know this makes his BG rise and have kind of figured out that if I give half a correction that this will usually work. I haven't figured out when to give him insulin when he has a treatment because he was only on it as needed.
    Now that he is on the inhaler he is to take it 20 minutes before exercise and every 4 hours as needed.
    He has been on it for 2 days and I haven't been able to figure out when his BG starts to rise from this.
    How long should I wait before I start making adjustments?
    I do know that it can take anywhere from 1-2 weeks after he stops the breathing treatments to get the adjustments pretty good.
    He is going to be on this all the time tho.
    Any suggetions would be appreciated. Thank You.

2. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

Albuterol (ventolin) does play havoc with BG numbers. May I ask if you have discussed a combination approach to your son's asthma (bronchio dilater and anti-inflammatory)? I've been asthmatic for about 60 years and have tried all sorts of things. A number of years ago I tried Advair inhalers and they work so wonderfully for me that I have maybe 2-3 actual attacks a year - when I do need to use my rescue inhaler.

3. mapoe4

mapoe4 Approved members

I haven't asked his pedi for anything yet. He was just put on the inhaler a couple days ago.
    THis has been the first year that it has been this bad.
    He used to only need treatments when he would get a cold or sometimes when the weather changed.
    His pedi is wonderful and if this doesn't help or he seems to need it more often I can take him right in and they will do something else.
    I will keep in mind about the advair. Thanks.

4. Daddy RRT

Daddy RRT Approved members

Bear in mind that the Albuterol Meter Dose Inhaler (MDI) is a different formula and dilution that the Unit Dose for the nebulizer. Assuming you meant "Nebulizer" by "Breathing Machine". LOL! Although the research shows that a meter dose inhaler used with the proper technique (Is he using a spacer?) will deliver the same dose as the neb, it may be delivered in a shorter amount of time and have a deeper lung deposition. It would seem to me that given just these two variables, the Inhaler has a chance of affecting his BG differently than the neb.
    Advair is available as an MDI, but (in this part of the country anyhow) is most commonly prescribed as a Dry powder Inhaler (DPI) and contains a Long Acting Beta Agonist (LABA) in the same drug class as Albuterol (Short Acting Beta Agonist), in this case it is Salmeterol. So depending on the formula (DPI Vs. MDI) it may (or may not) affect him as the Albuterol does. Of course the active ingredient in Advair is Fluticasone an inhaled steroid. I would think the best way to treat is a bit different for everyone. Some trial and error is in order. Good Luck!

5. selketine

selketine Approved members

William has used both an inhaler and nebulizer for the albuterol med and neither affects his blood sugar. He had asthma before he got diabetes - and he got diabetes over 7 years ago so I have a lot of experience with albuterol. Qvar (another inhaled steroid) has no affect either.

Oral steroids like prednisone will definitely cause a problem however. They are usually only given to William if the albuterol won't hold off his asthma - then he takes prednisone for 3-6 days.

I suppose if you are having a problem, you're having a problem though.

If he is on it "every 4 hours as needed" then you don't want to make basal adjustments cause he may not need it every 4 hours (or while sleeping). Since he is still on it "as needed" I think you still have to correct at the time he takes it if his BG rises afterward

6. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I've never really noticed a difference in BG that I can attribute to ONLY the ventolin when I've needed to use it.

I've also been on and off flonase (nasal steroid) and flovent (inhaled steroid) more times than I can count in the past 10 years and I never notice any difference at all when I am on those vs off. I've heard some people do, but I think that depends on a lot of other things too.

7. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

We've never seen an obvious bg rise with the ventolin. Campbell only uses it occasionally.

As with all things, though, YDMV. If you're seeing a rise that you can attribute directly to the ventolin, I'd probably just correct as needed. Your endo may have suggestions on dealing with this as well.

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Bobby, did they ever test John for what is triggering his asthma?