- advertisement -

Jobs Forum

Discussion in 'Jobs' started by Jeff, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

I often receive requests to help with jobs related to diabetes. Sometimes it's from a family seeking a counselor to help their child at a summer camp, sometimes from a clinic seeking a new health care professional. This forum is for posts like that.

If your job request is related to diabetes, it's welcome here.

2. Debbie Rainford

Debbie Rainford New Member

In search of

It's a long shot, but does anyone know how an RN who has been managing a child with diabetes for the past 8 years can break into the business of diabetes management professionally? I mean, really...from my research, in order to get a job working with diabetes pediatrics, you need experience. Does anyone think my last 8 years count for experience? Anyone out there in the Washington DC area looking for a professional who is highly motivated to work with diabetic children and families?

3. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

Oddly enough, it seems that getting work as a diabetes nurse is challenging right now. Perhaps it's the overall depressed economy.

If there are no openings at local hospitals or diabetes care centers, you might want to contact insulin pump companies. They might have clinical openings, and you could also get trained to do insulin pump starts.

4. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

I've looked into this myself from time to time.

animas only employs CDE's as pump trainers.
    I trained with Cosmo for pump trainers, but never got a call cause I guess all the pump training went to local diabetes management.
    I've looked into medtronic-never see any listings for pump trainers-when we first got pump-we had a medtronic trainer. I really wasn't impressed. Drove 1 1/2 hrs for basic training at RN's house.I know I could do much better than that trainer that day.

If you want to be a CDE-you have to wait for position to open up into your local diabetes management-and after 1000?hrs work you can sit for the CDE test. I personally think that would be too much diabetes for me.

I also just looked into Dexcom/didn't check navigator website

5. jendean

jendean Approved members

Debbie,
    Your experience as a parent dealing with diabetes doesnt count for much, unfortunately in a hospital, or clinical setting for a few reasons.

1. you deal with a limited number of diabetics, and as we know, ydmv.

2. Hospitals and clinics are generally pretty behind on new cares, and sometimes are threatened or bothered by new ideas.

Your best bet, if you want to work with Diabetes, is to get your BSN and go after a drug company job, doing pump education, or getting a job with your local JDRF, or something similar.

Unless you want to get your CDE, and when you do that, you will deal mostly with Type2 diabetes if you are at a general hospital setting or family practice, unless you can land a job with a local endo.

These are things I have found to be true for me...
    I would love to work with Diabetes, and am furthering my education to do so.
    :)
    Good luck and PM me if you come up with anything good!

6. jendean

jendean Approved members

You're totally right Jeff. I think its the economy, and insurance does not want to pay for extra education.
    I think the better the education the better fewer complications we have in the future, the lower the cost of healthcare...
    It is a no win situation.

But, for all RN's who have a child with diabetes, I think it is a great thing to be able to advocate for your child, as well as other children.
    Go through your local AEA, start a support group, let all parents know that this is a NEED, and then let your local medical teams know that this is a NEED in your community, to continue to educate your kids.
    I have been slacking lately, but that is the goal here...
    I think the more noise we make, the more we are taken seriously. The more annoying we are (squeaky) the more money your local hospitals and governments will put into this...
    Another good place to get in touch with is your local WIC offices, they deal largely with nutrition education. This may be a good avenue to pursue.

:)

7. Andreea

Andreea New Member

hi to all parents

Hi,If someone in Europe needs a baby sitter or a mother-s care of a diabetic child,just write me. I know from after 20 years about this ill,because I was very young when I started to have diabet type 1. I can supervise and monitorise all the day about the glicemy,the food time and the dose of insulin.
    I have a healthy girl,7,who can stay with my mother if I go to work out of my country...here,like a teacher,the salary are very little now(in Romania I am teacher..).
    andreea