- advertisement -

Jesse's mom wrote this - PLEASE READ

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by BrokenPancreas, Mar 29, 2010.

1. SueM

SueM Banned

Heartbreaking. That just seems so quick for DKA ... Even assuming that he may have been 'high' the previous night and throughout the night... To be ok (albeit ill) in the morning to being dead by 3:30 in the afternoon is very scary.

2. samheis

samheis Approved members

: ( There just are no words. My heart breaks for them.

3. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

My heart also breaks for them. I'm not sure howmany deaths there were, but obviously did not all happen in one week. Jesse died in Feb and Trent just last week. But it is so sad for both families and any other families that have lost children.

4. timsma

timsma Approved members

According to our endo and cde, dka can set in within hours and if untreated, yes, a child can die in just as many hours. It does not take days. This is one fear I have about my son being only on fast acting insulin in his pump. There is no backup insulin going into him so if he has a pump failure in the night and didn't wake up from being so sick (this has happened to him twice now) he may not have made it till noon either. I'm seriously considering putting him on a low dose of lantus or another long acting insulin in addition to his pump just for peace of mind. Fortunately he woke up very ill and told us right away the one time. The other time I don't even remember the details, I think I blocked them, but he was pretty unresponsive, but not fully unresponsive. I got him upstairs onto the couch and he wouldn't really wake up. He was in DKA. Took him to the hospital and he was treated there for it after I had already followed the DKA Prevention Decision Tree and gave him double the high bolus but he still wasn't coming around. Had he had the pump become disconnected from him earlier in the night, he may not have made it till morning. I'm not saying this to scare anyone, but I also don't want people thinking that DKA and death from it takes days. When on a pump and if there is a malfunction of it and he isn't getting any insulin, then it can happen in hours. Unless of course one is honeymooning. This is one reason we have a doorbell in his room that he can press and it will ring in our room, for if he is too sick to be able to come upstairs. That, and the cgm give me peace of mind, but now I want more peace and will check into getting him on lantus in addition. Yeah, I'm paranoid, I know.

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I think perhaps having ketones and being in DKA are being confused here. Yes, when you are in DKA you have ketones, but having ketones does not mean one is in a state of diabetic ketoacidosis. Which is not to say that having ketones can't make a D kid very ill - just that they are different. And too some kids are far more prone to spilling ketones while others, not nearly so susceptible.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  6. timsma

timsma Approved members

I was not talking about one just having ketones. I was talking about being in DKA. There is a big difference for sure. Both times, my son was in DKA. He has had ketones many other times over the years, but only been in DKA twice. Ketones need to be checked much more when high blood sugars are present and the child feels ill, especially when pumping. DKA can come on quickly for pumpers if their pump malfunctions or becomes disconnected for too long.

7. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I was just thinking maybe he had been high for a while.

8. wilf

wilf Approved members

Even if you're high for a long time, it's not a short-term issue if there's no ketones present. There's an increased risk in complications way down the line, but that's all. It's the combination of high BG and ketones that is dangerous.

9. rare

rare Approved members

From what I was told in the hospital once, it's ketones and a lack of insulin that cause the rapid dka progression. High bg is a byproduct of that combo.

10. wilf

wilf Approved members

Right you are.

I should have said:
    "It's the combination of high BG and ketones due to lack of insulin that is dangerous."

11. grantsmom

grantsmom Approved members

Oh my...I did not know.

I have no words...I am just so sad.

I will pray for them.