- advertisement -

Jellyfish Toxin & Diabetes Prevention - Any studies?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momandwifeoftype1s, Oct 23, 2010.

1. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

You know that I do trust my gut too, more so now that I'm older.

2. momandwifeoftype1s

Thank you for the article. I'm allergic to bees, so that gives me the heeby jeebies to think about bee sting therapy. My friends are bee keepers, so we get farm fresh honey from them. It's delicious!

3. willie's mom

willie's mom Approved members

That is soooo cool and I think you should share for sure:rolleyes:

4. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

Amy, I think there is no thought too far fetched when it comes to possible prevention of T1!!! I think it is absolutely possible!!! Everyone come to S Florida...lots of jelly fish here!!:D

5. joan

joan Approved members

This is really interesting.

6. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

this is one of the ways that this medicine I have used for Alopecia works. It creates this alternate 'irritation' for the immune system to attack tricking it to leave the hair follicles alone. If you do it long enough the original attack on the hair stops entirely, or at least goes into remission.
    so I have no doubt that it would work for other autoimmune diseases. I think this is one of the avenues being explored.

7. Sari

Sari Approved members

Well no one will think you are wack-o-doodle when we all realize you found a cure for diabetes!! Then we will all say "we heard it hear first!" and you will be a wealthy woman! :D

8. MTMomma

MTMomma Approved members

Glad you posted

I think it is great you posted about your jelly fish observations. We should all share when things like that take place. Science is not a set deal and there are all kinds of things yet to be discovered.

I have wondered about ant bites. DS who is D went through a stage that he loved to play with ants. I noticed a pattern that after having quite a few red ant bites his BG numbers would level out to near non diabetic levels for several days. Didn't seem to matter what he ate or insulin amounts those days just rock solid steady numbers and then back to usual. Never told anyone but it was interesting.

If we don't share patterns or things we notice we are left wondering "what if." Sure there might be things we suspect that end up with no real impact on D yet.. what if. I say post with that kind of information because after all WE are on the front lines of this battle and who else sees what we see?

9. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

The human mind notices the world and makes connections. the supersticious mind ends there, with the apparent answer. But for the scientific mind that's where the questions begin!!! You notice, you make connections, you ask questions, you guess at the anwers, and then you test those anwers to see if you're right. That's how scientific discoveries are made. I think that's so awesome!!! You may have found a T1 vaccine!!!! :eek:

If you were advising ppl to go out and get stung, I'd say that's nuts. But asking questions is never a bad idea. Isn't there a T2 drug made of lizard spit? I think it's Byetta. Do tell the trial net people. Lots of vaccines work by developing antibodies before you get the illness. I'll say i heard it here first. :D

10. timnshann

timnshann Approved members

Not crazy AT ALL! I still think it will be one of "us", the people, the parents, that have a REAL stake in finding the cure and prevention that will eventually make it happen. Bring on the ideas! I think your observation is exactly the kind of things we all need to be watching for, you never know where the discovery will come from:)

11. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

No, I think this is very interesting. I would mention it to them and maybe the DRI (Diabetes Research Institute) and your endo

12. momandwifeoftype1s

I have to say that I am really overwhelmed that so many of you think this idea actually makes sense. I honestly thought this thread would get zero responses and get buried in the CWD vault never to be heard from again.

So...thank you for thinking about the jellyfish thread with sincerity. There would be nothing more rewarding in this world than to have a teensy part in a preventative measure for future children at risk of developing diabetes (including my own precious son). If not from my idea, than from others who dare to dream and listen to their own inner voices.

I credit God's infinite wisdom for all of my ideas, and I consider myself to be richly blessed. :)

These are some photos I took of the jellyfish over Labor Day weekend at the Chattanooga aquarium. Enjoy!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  13. Charlotte'sMom

Charlotte'sMom Approved members

I think the whole idea is absolutely fascinating. And it really doesn't sound so far-fetched. ;)

14. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

I, like Tammy, know you are a whack-a-doodle first-hand, and it has nothing to do with jellyfish! : )

15. momandwifeoftype1s

Gah! The problem with knowing some of you in real life is that I know some of you in real life. Ack! :p

16. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

That immunosupression can prevent autoimmune diabetes is a pretty sure bet. That it can prevent diabetes without making you very vulnerable to everything from MRSA to skin cancer is not.

Right now, the puzzle to preventing diabetes is not so much finding that you can prevent it by killing the immune system... it's figuring out how to selectively prevent the diabetes causing parts without injuring the rest. Because you need an immune system even more than you need to not get diabetes.

If anything, including jellyfish stings, are keeping your son's immune system busy, or even suppressing it, this would very likely temporarily prevent autoimmune disease symptoms. It wouldn't permanently halt diabetes, nor make him permanently antibody negative.

The article linked to on springerlink says that a toxin in some sea anemones causes selective immunosuppression to the extent that it targets T-cells, which are the cells that trigger antibody production. The reason something infecting you might want to do that is that it stops the body from fighting the toxin or virus or bacteria or whatever. It might at the same time stop the body from fighting the islet cells... but presumably once the T-cells recover, the attack on the islet cells would resume along with attacks on bacteria, viruses, toxins, etc.

17. momandwifeoftype1s

No, I doubt it would be a permanent solution either. Our trip to Hilton Head was in April, and he's had a steady decrease in symptoms since then, when every indication previously had been that he was developing diabetes. His AIC went down (chance or not - who knows?).

If people can get botox injections for cosmetic wrinkles, I would not be opposed to an injection of jellyfish toxins from time to time as needed to prevent diabetes (with careful research first). Prolonging the onset of diabetes would be a plus IMO, even if it's just temporary.

The stings really didn't even bother Grant much as you can see from the grinning photo of him with the bandage in my earlier thread. That was right after he had been stung the first time.

Obviously, much research would be needed IF anyone in the scientific community really wanted to pursue this.

18. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

19. Charlotte'sMom

Charlotte'sMom Approved members

Now we're going to go play in the ocean. ;)

20. momandwifeoftype1s

Ok, I guess I'm okay with being a whack-a-doodle if you are :p.

I think that the author of that article above was just missing the right color of the jellyfish to use - red ones :). They were in abundance in April, which apparently was an early appearance for Hilton Head Island area. They were everywhere.

My mom and I enjoyed an early morning bike ride on the beach, and I took tons of photos of the sea creatures on the sand bar. They were all still alive, so the red jellyfish photo was of one that was still moving. I picked up a bunch of beached starfish and threw them back in the ocean. I think I picked up a conch shell too, which Brian tells me is deadly (not sure if that's true or not). Oops!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]