- advertisement -

JDRF walks~ your experience?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sweetkid4, Mar 27, 2013.

1. sweetkid4

sweetkid4 Approved members

There is a JDRF walk held every year , a couple hours away from us. Thinking about going this year....anyone want to share their experience with me to help me decide ??

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

We do the Ron Santo walk every year at a huge forest preserve area nearby. For us it is less about raising money for JDRF and more about the experience. Meaning that Danielle invites a bunch of her friends, we do the walk, it is a gorgeous area, they are laughing and joking and running around, then we go see the DJ/band, eat food and do the activities/games. At this particular location there is a beach and a place where you can rent peddle boats, etc. so sometimes we will stay and do those things too.

I think at your son's age it might be fun for him, if nothing else than going on the bouncy things, getting his face painted, etc...

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

For us it's a fun day to catch up with families who we don't get to see that often. We used to be really into fundraising, now not so much. Now, we just go to show our support for everyone with d. We usually have a group of friends who come with us and we'll do something silly like wear crazy hats, or in the case of this year where it rained, we all had duck umbrellas:D

Our JDRF does a nice job. It's held at a ball field and they have face painting, vendors, performances, music and snacks.

4. CaitlynGrisham

CaitlynGrisham Approved members

I love my diabetes walk! The one where I lived for a very long time (i.e. before college) was more of a tradition than anything. My family and I would pack up and head over; it gave us a chance to talk to some people with D, made me feel less alone, and I got free food. That's all I needed to want to go -- free food, for the win.

Now that I am away at college, my new friends and I go to the walk down here. I actually wasn't going to to go, but they found out that there is a walk down here, and they thought of me. They told me, and then, before I knew it, me and seven other people were driving to the walk!

I highly recommend doing it. It's a great experience.

5. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I've only done one, our first year, and we had a huge team as our 4H club organized with us. It was fun, and very meaningful, and I'm glad I did it.

What I was not ready for was the overwhelming amount of emotion I had. That I had a reason to be involved, not just supporting a friend but asking for funds for MY kid. It was tough.

Worth it though!

6. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

What if we don't know anybody? Can we still go and have fun?
    This one http://tinyurl.com/d2md9ws is very close to us and I would like to join, but hate the feeling, that I don't belong. Also, do you have to register with "a team" (again,no D friends here :cwds:)

7. Christopher

Yes, you can still go and have fun if you don't know anyone. Think about going to a local fair or circus. You don't know all the people there but you still have fun, right?

You also do not have to register with a team, or even register at all. Just go there, show your support, get some fresh air and exercise and have a great time. :cwds:

8. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

You will feel like you belong, without a doubt, there's a definite feeling of unity there, and it's a lot of fun.

9. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

We still haven't done this. The whole organizing a team, buying t-shirts when you are on a strict budget and not knowing many people with any money to donate just makes me feel like we wouldn't be able to contribute much. Don't you have to commit to raising a certain amount etc? I doubt we could do that.

10. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

when I lived in mn, the walk was at the mall of america.... need I say more? great times.

live in portland now, so havent heard much about a walk, just started with a new endo for matt, so we will see.

11. Christopher

Nope. You can just show up and walk and have fun.

12. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

When DD was younger, she would knock on doors asking for contributions. She was so excited and so cute doing it that most people gave something. Small amounts can add up quickly. I have worked at the registration tables and can assure you, every contribution is appreciated, regardless of the amount. You do not have to buy t-shirts or organize teams.

13. SandiT

SandiT Approved members

I can't find much information on this. How long is the walk? How do you find a team? How much does it cost, or is it just the fundraising page and you "try" to get $100?

It isn't very clear to me, to be honest.

It sounds interesting and like something we would like to participate in, but other than that, I'm stymied.

14. Beach bum

Just go onto the JDRF.org site. Click on get involved, there's a drop down for find a walk near you.

It costs nothing to participate. You can walk as a single, family or form a team. If you want JDRF tee's, they have a $100 fundraising minimum. For example our team had 12 people last year, we raised around $2000, so everyone got a tee. Otherwise, you can raise or donate as much or as little as you want. My kids do a lemonade stand every year and we solicit donations from friends and family. JDRF has a whole section dedicated to setting up a fundraising page.

Most walks run about 2-3 miles. It's a fun morning (ours is in the morning) and they usually have music, vendors, face painting and activities.

You can google JDRF and your area and a more styled page for your area comes up.

15. Meredithsmom

Meredithsmom Approved members

We love our walk! No minimum fundraising and we haven't done team shirts in about 3 years. DD loves seeing all the people who are there to support T1D and there are lots of fun activities. Our first year we were hoping to raise $500. So we asked 50 people for $10. We ended up with $3500! And people asked us if they could donate. It is a very humbling experience. I strongly encourage you to give it a try! :eek:

16. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

Can the dogs walk too? :p

17. Beach bum

As long as the venue allows dogs. We've had friends bring their dogs in the past.
    So, if the venue allows dogs and your dogs can handle large crowds and noises, no reason why not, they love to walk too!