- advertisement -

JDRF Walk Yesterday

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by rtjlolson, Feb 27, 2011.

1. rtjlolson

rtjlolson Approved members

Yesterday was such a great day walking for a cure to diabetes at the Mall of America! It was fabulous to see so many people out in support of diabetes. Two million dollars was raised! Yeah!!

2. sooz

sooz Approved members

That is fabulous! I looked at your location and thought.."they walked?" then I saw it was inside lol..how fun! My son actually played there one New Year's Eve with Spongebob Square Pants lol. I think the walks are terrific and I love JDRF. I don't think making fun of it is humorous in any way. This thread certainly would not be a place to start up on that topic again. It sounds like you and your family had a great time on the walk, as do we. Way to go!! Having it at the Mall of America raised tons of awareness too! We will walk for the cure again this year!

3. momof2greatkids

momof2greatkids Approved members

That's great that you did the walk!

Audrey and I are doing one here in the fall. I see it as a great way to show support to her, as well as everyone else dealing with diabetes. Ever since I mentioned doing a walk or run for diabetes, she has been really excited about it, and I think it makes her feel kind of special.

4. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

Good for you! Glad you enjoyed your day. Kendall always loves being part of such a big event - it makes her feel closer to others in the same situation and that she's not alone.:)

5. lakevictoria

lakevictoria Approved members

We had a fab time at the MOA as well! It took me about an hour to get a hold of my emotions as I was overwhelmed. I knew that attending this event would again confirm that this nightmare has been real... but it was good to be in the arms of other DM families.

6. gerry speirs

gerry speirs Approved members

Congrats on your walk! You should be proud....

7. zoomom456

zoomom456 Approved members

To the OP - Good for you!! I am looking forward to the walk in my area this fall!

8. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

We were there too. Crowds give me the heebee geebees but it was still awesome. Kind of wish they would hold one outside in the summer though.

As far as JDRF goes, many times avenues that are not directly pointed at a particular end result are actually the ones that lead to that end result. In this case the most desired end result is a cure.

I think there have been countless great advances in science and other areas where the work that was being done was not directly pointed at the advancement that was achieved. If that makes any sense.

I actually really like the phrase "the walk to cure diabetes" because that's exactly what it is. It's a walk, not a run and that walk will lead down many paths and hopefully one day soon, as we are walking, the skies will open up, the clouds will clear, the rain will stop and we will be there, at the cure, with our backpack of D supplies that we no longer need, leaning on our walking stick and finally knowing our journey is at its end.:cwds:

9. kallygirl

kallygirl Approved members

Dave - That was beautifully said!

10. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Nicely stated! I am proud to have walked this year and look forward to more in the future. To the original post family in this thread, congratulations on your walk, you should be proud. I was actually very emotional/sad, it was a difficult day for me, something I'd rather not need to be involved in, but proud to do my part.

11. shekov

shekov Approved members

We proudly raised over $2000 this year and walked with our team of 11 people who traveled from up to 6 hours away, got up at 6 am, and shuffled through a crowded mall to show their love and support of my dd.

THAT'S what the walk is about for us.

Congrats to you and your family for getting involved in supporting something you believe in.:)

12. Jenna'sMom

Jenna'sMom Approved members

We made the trip, too. We walked with another family this year so that Jenna could see what it's all about. She wants her own team next year.

For me, I don't care if it's a cure or a workaround that makes it feel like normalcy. I trust JDRF and the work that it does. I'm happy to raise money for the cause.:)

13. hrermgr

hrermgr Approved members

We were there, too. T's kindgarten class not only raised money with their "Dimes for Diabetes" campaign in school, but they made signs and a few even walked with us. Being at the MOA on Walk Day is amazing....to see so many people walking to make a difference. That is really what it is all about.

I will echo what a few others have said- it's too bad those who are not supporters of JDRF needed to chime in and try to rain on our parade. :mad: Didn't work, though. We're planning for next year!

14. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

For topics like this, I'm going to apply the "Thumper Rule" -- if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

The original post wasn't an invitation to debate the merits of an organization. It was one family sharing their experiences at a walk.

If you're just joining, I've removed some posts that violated the "Thumper Rule."

15. joan

joan Approved members

Jeff, I understand that some threads go in the wrong direction but to me having our threads examined for their content and its relevance to the thread will also hamper some great conversations. I think having what we say removed because it doesn't fit the thread is wrong and hurtful.

16. DadCares

DadCares Approved members

Thank you Jeff!

17. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Well, I think what people SAID was wrong and hurtful - and I am thankful to Jeff for deleting those posts.

18. joan

joan Approved members

I understand that things get hurtful here and some comments are just wrong but it just doesn't seem right that if we post something that someone takes as hurtful the thread will be deleted. Maybe have guidelines for our posting about certain topics but a " big brother " scenario just doesn't sit right with me.

19. DadCares

How does the Walk work in the Mall? I know the mall is large, but how many times do you walk the mall? What time do the shops open? Just curious.
    Each of you who walked should be proud of yourselves! You have done something that is more than helping your own family. You have helped encourage the rest of us. But more importantly, you have done something constructive that will help every person on this board. You have helped fund real research that will make its way to real research laboratories looking to find a cure or reduce the complications our kids will face. Thank you!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  20. DadCares

There is a place for those comments but it is not this thread. We should have debates... but in the appropriate threads. For this thread, let's celebrate the success and impact on research from our friends in Minnesota.