advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JDRF Rebrand

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ellen, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

A day late and a dollar short, imho.

3. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Wonder if they are going to change the 'walk for a CURE' slogan.

4. Judy&Alli

Judy&Alli Approved members

You mean walk for the AP? UGH so disgusted!

5. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Well, I'm not impressed.... from a design standpoint alone the new logo has a lot of issues.. I'm surprised the group actually approved the change?

The "new" logo looks VERY amateurish... way to take a giant step backwards :(

6. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

Doesn't this second paragraph address some of the concerns recently raised about a desire for continued progress towards a cure, but more importantly, ensuring that we see continued progress and innovation in the treatments and tools made available to PWDs as they await a cure?

Personally, I'm happy to see this statement - that their focus must be two-fold, both on the tomorrow with a cure, and today with better, more reliable treatment options.

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

No, it doesn't - and I'll check back with you when you've been at this 9 years to see if you still feel so enthused by JDRF and their words.

8. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I think JDRF has realized that a cure is nowhere on the horizon, that they don't have a clue when or if it might occur, and so they had better switch their focus to something that does have somewhat of a timeline.

I used to be pretty enthused about an AP. Now I realize that anything groundbreaking won't be here in time to improve my kid's childhood. So meh on JDRF's stupid logo change, and meh on their "change in focus." All that money raised, and what have they done for my kid?

9. Lee

Lee Approved members

I don't know - I know this doesn't sound logical, and I probably couldn't even come up with a logical argument, which is why I am staying out of the debates.

But I have this gut feeling of being abandoned. Abandoned by them switching their focus to adults with T1 and switching their focus to the AP instead of the cure.

I know my child will soon be an adult with T1 - logically, I get that. However, the JDRF was where I turned when my CHILD was diagnosed. They provided me with the support I needed as a parent at the time. I just feel abandoned, and this statement even makes it more so.

I know this is not a logical feeling; however, it is my gut feeling.

10. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

I'd like to know when they started "Curing Type 1 Diabetes". Nobody told me they have the cure. :rolleyes:

I agree that the logo is amateurish.

11. MommaKat

FWIW, I'm not, as many suppose, enthused by JDRF. I am, however, a realist. And though I am new to caring for my child in terms of type 1, I am not at all new to caring for children with debilitating chronic conditions, or to the field of health care. (20+ years of nursing, patient advocacy, in addition to parenting a severely disabled child, and another with a debilitating injury.)

Frankly, I don't expect or look for anyone to agree with my opinion, but given that it's a public forum, I shared my personal feeling that an organization acknowledging a mistake in policy approach is step in the right direction. (Nor do I personally call out or attack others for opinions I don't agree with - who cares if I don't agree. They're opinions. We're each entitled to our own along with a modicum of respect.)

12. MHoskins2179

MHoskins2179 Approved members

I'm completely not impressed with the re-brand.

But only the marketing aspect of it, as far as the Meg campaign and logo and "give Type 1 the finger" aspects. Totally not impressed, and agree with those that say it feels like an amateur creation.

The message, I support.

I've posted at length here about my history with the JDRF, and I've written elsewhere about my feelings about the JDRF overall - past and present. Suffice it to say, as an Adult Type 1 who long ago felt "abandoned" by the JDRF, I'm encouraged to see them re-shifting their focus to now include the adults (which represents 85% of the Type 1 community today, btw).

By including the Adult Type 1 community in ways they haven't before, and promoting a more "continuing journey toward a cure" message, this doesn't mean they're abandoning anyone. Although, some may feel abandoned that because the focus isn't on kids - a feeling that comes ironically at the same time as many also gripe about cute kids being used for marketing and effectiveness.

This new tagline also doesn't mean they're abandoning a cure - just that they understand it's more complicated than they once thought in just throwing money at it and finding a cure. It's a partnership that must bring every element together.

Hope is a relative thing that comes and goes in one's life, and so what may be here today may be gone tomorrow. And vice versa, as I've found in discovering the hope of the JDRF again as I near my third decade of living with diabetes.

13. swellman

swellman Approved members

As a parent of a child with T1 I don't find this attitude difficult to grasp at all. In fact, it seems personally reasonable to me. I, too, do not feel JDRF has abandoned anyone nor do I think they have abandoned any hope for a cure. I do think, however, they took a long look at the progress of the last 40 years and realized that the cure wasn't going to be simple as the disease is very, very complex - so complex that a cure might involve many chronic diseases. I think they exactly realized that 85% of those with T1 are now adults and I agree with the shift while recognizing that the shift does not result in a total abandonment of cure research. I'm also rational enough to realize that a cure isn't going to happen right now and it's not going to come to market in the next 5 years so my son will be, at least, 16-18 years old before any cure is even possible and I am glad that there may be better tools and treatments when he starts college. I'm grateful people are thinking for both now and for the future.

That having been said, I think the brand is horrible - I mean it's really bad. My son could have designed a logo of equal quality.

14. Sarah Maddie's Mom

You asked if the second paragraph didn't address some of one's concerns and I said, "No". No attack, no lack of respect.

There's sharing one's opinion and then there's seeking to persuade. Just because I am not persuaded by what you find informative does not in any way imply that you, or your opinion is being disrespected.

15. joan

joan Approved members

I wonder how many marketing dollars were spent rebranding JDRF. What a waste...

16. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

You absolutely disrespected her when you told her that she could come back when she had been at this as long as you. You should never invalidate someones feelings because they haven't been dealing with this disease as long as you.

I think its arrogant and selfish for someone to say they feel they are abandoned because JDRF isn't about just kids anymore. It was never about kids. The disease used to be called Juvenile Diabetes - that's where the organization got the name. It got changed to T1 a long time ago and JDRF hadn't changed their name to reflect that because they have a brand around JDRF.

Read the #s - 85% of people living with T1 diabetes are adults. Why should they be left out because 15% want the organization to only focus on their kids. They aren't abaondoning the kids - they are just including the other 85% of the population.

I stopped hoping for a cure a long time ago - I can't live with the disappointment - from any and every organization that hasn't found one. I am focused on giving Emma the most robust life experience I can expecting her to have Type 1 diabetes for the rest of her life. JDRF didn't take my hope - they gave me hope early on when I needed it until I was emotionally ready to deal with the lifetime implications of this disease

17. Sarah Maddie's Mom

I NEVER said a stinkin' word about it not being about kids - Perhaps you should read my comments before jumping in next time.

As for the 9 years - I have been at this 9 years and I've had my fill of JDRF and it's BS - and maybe my mentioning that was a sign that I was having a lousy D day and NOT anything to do with her being a newer mom. So stinkin presumptuous, as always.

18. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Ya, it's pretty cheezy looking.

I don't like the use of the word "curing." They are not curing diabetes. They are one of many (JDRF, DRI, Faustman, Joslin, Yale) that are working to find a cure. To a "lay" person it looks as if they have already done the job.

I personally think they need to just call themselves the Type 1 Foundation since they have made it clear that they are now just not dedicated to juveniles with diabetes. If they are going to use the word research, they need to be very clear in their message to all about what exactly they are researching.

On a side note, I wonder how much this lovely:rolleyes: new logo cost?

19. MommaKat

This, absolutely, and my 14 yo son agrees. He really wants to design something and send it to them. Sadly, graphic arts, logo design, and branding are clearly not strengths at JDRF.

20. Mom2Kathy

Mom2Kathy Approved members

I wish we had a "Like" button. I agree 100%.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.