- advertisement -

JDRF Funding Allocation For 2015

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by joshualevy, Jul 2, 2016.

1. joshualevy

joshualevy Approved members

This is a short (3-page) summary by the Juvenile Diabetes Cure Alliance (JDCA), which discusses - at a high level - the allocation of money to the different types of projects the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) funds. I think it is very important information, and it's presented in a way which makes it quick to read and easy to understand.

http://us10.campaign-archive2.com/?u=c535aaad5aa11c4ad70dcc060&id=c9bd7cb85f&e=5d3bcfb858

(Note: I am a fellow of the JDCA, but I did not work on this paper at all. I generally help with their medical research papers, and not their financial papers. Obviously, I spend a lot of time looking at JDRF research, and this report matches up with my understanding of JDRF research funding.)

Joshua Levy
    My Blog: http://cureresearch4type1diabetes.blogspot.com/

2. sparty87

sparty87 Approved members

3. forHisglory

forHisglory Approved members

Thanks for sharing. That's a lot of overhead. Much greater than I imagined. :/

4. joshualevy

joshualevy Approved members

If you want more details on the overhead portion, then I would read this earlier article by JDCA:
    http://us10.campaign-archive1.com/?u=c535aaad5aa11c4ad70dcc060&id=ecfb5f47d4

The important point is that JDRF used to do better than it is doing now. If you look back 5-10 years the same organization had less overhead. I find that very hopeful, because it means that JDRF can do better. Indeed, it has done better not that long ago.

Joshua Levy

5. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I'm curious if anyone knows why JDRF continues to provide more funding to the artificial pancreas project (UVA) and medtronic for their glucose sensors rather than funding the bionic pancreas project (Boston University) and dexcom. Why would medtronic which has an inferior sensor receive many times the funding that dexcom receives when dexcom is incredibly close to a commercially available sensor that can be used for insulin dosing?

6. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

Speaking of donations.....if you shop at Amazon, and if you enter their website using smile.amazon.com (instead of just amazon.com), some portion of the total amount of your order will flow to a charity of your choice. Literally painless giving.