- advertisement -

J&J Tough Pads

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Chippy28, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Chippy28

Chippy28 Approved members

I am going to give the Tough Pads a shot underneath my infusion set. Do I need to make a hole in the pad prior to insertion or can I insert directly through the pad like IV3000 or Tegaderm?

Also, if these work for me, where is a good place to buy them cheaply? A pack of 4 at Walgreens was $6.50!

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I'd make a hole first.. tough pads are a lot thicker.

3. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

A hole punch works well. Have you tried thinner things like IV3000?
    Some people are allergic to the teflon cannula and use the steel sets

4. Chippy28

Chippy28 Approved members

Thanks, I will definitely punch a hole.

I think I have tried pretty much everything. I have tried IV3000 and Tegaderm underneath and I am still left with the irritation in the exact shape of the adhesive. I have also tried the Orbit (teflon) and Orbit micro (steel) sets because they have a different tape. Unfortunately, both sets caused irritation, though less so than the Insets that I had been using. (The Orbits come with their own set of problems as well...they rip off easily, they occlude easily, the tubing comes unclipped easily, etc.)

So, I am losing my patience as I change my sets every 1-2 days and still end up with numbers in the 300s way, way too often. However, I really don't want to stop pumping of course! The next experiment is to change insulin. I have been using Novolog since I was diagnosed, but I am going to give Humalog a try this week.