- advertisement -

I've handed out advice to my SIL, now seeking Cheap Meter/strips

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by MamaBear, Mar 30, 2012.

1. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

After a suggestion in another post that my SIL's doctor is playing a waiting game with her health ( a suggestion I agreed with before it was made) and the suggestion that she has a Glucose Tolerance Test.. well she and I have been mailing back and forth all night again about her so called Pre- Diabetes. I sent her a great big ole email full of links and info, including symptons her doctor is ignoring. I mentioned before she is having neuropathy in her feet and fasting BGs of 110. But since her A1C is 5.3 there is no diagnoses, they are just waiting and I don't know what for. After emailing last night I find she is having it in her hands as well as her feet, she is also getting skin rashes, frequent urination,extreme thirst, and fatigue. She did have gestational Diabetes with both pregnancies, and I don't know about my niece, but my nephew was almost 10lbs at birth. At this point I am absolutely convinced that she does have Type 2 and that the doctors are poo-pooing it because she is thin and doesn't look like they stereo typical idea of a Diabetic person. I am so angry for her that she is feeling the way she is and that they are barely batting an eye. So I gave her some links and food for thought and told her that I don't want to scare her, but I don't want her to go untreated if she does have it. She did tell me that she is supposed to be monitoring her fasting BGs, but her meter is from 2002 (from the last pregnancy) and she is out of strips. She does not have an Rx and a bottle of strips for her meter is $77 for 50. I know some of you have posted before about cheaper store brand meters and strips. Are there any you can reccomend? Also any other advice I can pass on to her would be appreciated. In the meantime thankfully she has listened to me and is going to ask for the glucose tolerance test.

2. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

In totally agree that doctors can be wrong and miss things either because it is a difficult profession/art at best, and because of pharmaceutical politics.

I also know that self-diagnoses are probably even more difficult.

However, I see nothing wrong with getting a meter and checking if for no other reason than to collect data to show to the doctor and perhaps with reasoned caution to act on.

Good luck.

3. MamaBear

She isn't self diagnosing. She has seen a primary care doctor and an endo did her A1C ,if I am understanding her correctly. She may have only talked to the endo and seen the primary care doc, i'm a little confused on that. Either way, she asked my opinion because she is feeling terrible, having all these symptoms, and the doctors are telling her it's only pre-diabetes, due to her A1C. She wanted to know what I or my son's endo would say about it. It seems to me that if she is having all of these symptoms, especially losing feeling in her hands and feet, the "pre" doesn't apply. I think she has it and she needs to get set with treatment wether it's pills or insuin or just diet. I think it's time to do the glucose tolerance and get an answer one way or the other before more damage is done.
    I also think if they are going to ask her to monitor her BGs, they need to give her a prescription.
    So no one has any advice on cheap meters/strips?:confused:

4. ChristineJ

ChristineJ Approved members

I've never used either of these, but I've seen people post about fairly inexpensive meters/strips at both Target and Walmart. She could try one of those if she can't get a script. Hopefully they will agree to do the glucose tolerance test. That's felt to be the gold standard for diagnosis by many.

Christine:)

5. MamaBear

Thank you Christine I will pass that on to her. I am hoping they agree to do it. Given her history with Gestational Diabetes and her current symptoms, I really really hope they do. If they say no I hope she marches herself to another doctor!

6. Diana

Diana Approved members

We use the True Trak meter from Walgreens as our back-up, throw in the purse, going to the waterpark and don't really care too much if it gets trashed meter and strips. It works fine and the strips are not as expensive.

It's labeled as a Walgreens meter, but I'm sure it is branded for other stores also (and may even be the Target and/or Walmart meter)

7. MamaBear

Thank you.

8. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

We ue a target brand meter when we are in situations where it could get lost or stolen (water park, boating, etc). It is the cheapest I have found.

Also, I wouldn't jump straight to type 2. I would have antibodiss checked to rule out type 1 or LADA too.

9. ChristineJ

ChristineJ Approved members

Yes, the history and symptoms definitely warrant further investigation. LOL about the "marching" to another doctor, but it's so true. If this doctor won't do what's necessary then she can find someone who will! When she's testing, she should try to get at least some postprandial numbers. Postprandial control is usually the first to go. That might help her to get their attention. Keep us updated!:)

Christine

10. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

All the advice I was going to offer has already been said. I have never use the Walgreens meter, but know several people who use it because of not having insurance.

11. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

We have a walmart brand meter and test strips here. The meter we have is the reliOn confirm. I like it. The meter itself cost us $8 or $9. And we paid i think around $35 for 100 test strips. I like the fact that the meter uses a very small amount of blood, 0.3ml. It uses the same amount that freestyle uses. I've compared it with our one touch and they're only 5pts or less difference between readings.

12. MamaBear

Funny you say that, I thought about that last night, and need to let her know that T1 isn't always diagnosed in children. She is 41 or 42, but you just never know. And I don't know if she knows anything about LADA, I mean I didn't until coming to this board. I need to shoot her another email.

Thanks everyone for the PMs and the posts here. She was able to find some cheap strips online for the meter she has (old freestyle from 2002). She said she will keep me updated. I will pass on everyone's suggestions and prayers offered via PM.

13. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Just curious what brand you use for your main meter? Accu-check has sent us free back-up meters since diagnosis, so I've never considered using a different one. We had bought a Walgreens TruTrack before hospitalization, and after experiencing the difference between it and Aviva, I would NEVER want to go back. The strips were cheaper, but we wasted about half of them because of not getting enough blood, being too slow, etc. That meter created so much stress!

14. Diana

Diana Approved members

We use the Accu-chek for our regular meter and have many back-ups. The strips are very expensive for us though (not the preferred brand for insurance)

I wouldn't use the Tru2go for our regular meter but I like it for a "junk" meter. I haven't noticed any problems with it, but we don't use it often.

15. CassiesMama

CassiesMama Approved members

May I just suggest something, if she is having issues with her nerves already have they checked her b12. B12 is essential for nerve function and if its low that could be exasperating her issues with her feeling in her hands and feet.

16. MamaBear

Yes she did mention something about that. And I know it can also cause skin issues because I have a B deficiency, though the skin issues mine caused are different than she described. But still with her having 5 of the symptoms of D, and a history as she does, and having already been told she is Pre Diabetes, I personally would feel better if she has the the tolerance test to be sure. I mean really it takes a very short time to determine if she has it or not. Why play with her health like that?

17. CassiesMama

CassiesMama Approved members

Oh dont blame you for wanting her to get the tolerance test one bit. Also find out if the b12 is low due to that being needed for nerve function is all i am saying. Low b12 can cause permanent nerve damage, which if D is knocking at the door is the last thing she needs .

18. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

True track is 40% off at CVS right now.

19. MamaBear

Well thanks all. Kinda sounds from the email I just got that she's just sort of blowing it all off. :( Oh well I guess. I wish she'd get tested to know for sure, but she's grown. Nothing I can do.

20. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

At onetouchmeter.com there are 3 questions to answer to qualify for a free ultramini meter.
    I certainly agree that your SIL is not receiving the answers she needs from her doctors. Neuropathy is not something to ignore, but do keep in mind that diabetes is only one of the possible reasons for it. So while a glucose tolerance test might be useful it could be that the docs have concluded that her 110BG and 5.5 A1C mean that her neuropathy isn't caused by diabetes at all. OK, great, so what is it caused by? Lupus? Lime disease? Pressure on the nerves? A tumor? All are possibilities, unfortunately.