- advertisement -

It's that time again...ROLL CALL!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Brensdad, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

OK, I've been away from the forums for the last few weeks, and I see LOTS of new names. I'm happy to see you all, but sad that you've had to find us. Periodically, I like to start an "introduce yourself" thread for both the old-timers and the folks new to the forums.

I am type 1, and use a Minimed insulin pump. My daughter, Emma, is 3 and was diagnosed at 9 months old. She wears a Minimed pump and CGMS. I blog sometimes, and I am mostly inappropriate at all the wrong times. It's kind of my thing. Same for Badshoe. But he's cool.

OK, your turn.

2. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

Hi
    My names Stacie. My son Phillip is 11, he was diagnosed type 1 when he was just about 8. He started pumping with animas last june. We live in New Zealand.

3. Barry

Barry Approved members

I'm Barry and my 15 year old son is Alex. He was dx at 14 and currently using the Omnipod(and loving it). We live in Jupiter Florida.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  4. redmcgee

redmcgee Approved members

Glad you started this thread!
    Mom to Tasha (8 yrs. old) diagnosed at age 6 on Sept. 22, 2005 with a blood sugar level of 1260 (I look back now and think oh my lands:eek:)
    On shots of lantus and novolog. Tried the pen and did not like it. Would love to get the pump one of these days.:cwds:

5. Aidan'sMom

Aidan'sMom Approved members

Hey, this is Amanda. My son Aidan was dxd on March 7, 2008. He is 21 mos. old and handling all of this so well. I am worried, frustrated, confused, angry, determined and thankful that it is not something worse. Right now we are trying to learn everything we possibly can. So I am asking every little question that pops into my head. His numbers are still all over the place right now.

My husband's name is Jeremy. And I have a 4 year old son named Brenton.
    Maybe more info than you wanted, but I tend to talk too much..........

6. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

For all you newbies, don't let Barry's avitar terrify you - that's supposed to be a pancreas. When I first saw it, I thought it was something not properly digested.:p

7. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

Hullo. I'm Heidi. Mom to Sam, pumping on the Cozmo for the last year, previously on MDI for 5 years. My dad is also type 1 and is still on injections after 52 years of living with the disease. They both rock my world.

I love you guys.

8. Denise in CT

Denise in CT Approved members

Hi,

I am Denise, mom to Kathleen (15 yo 10th grader) who was diagnosed on 3-21-08 after I INSISTED she have blood drawn. She has been so great through all of this (especially since she has always hated needles!) and I am so grateful and so in awe of her strength. She is taking NPH, Novolog, and Levemir twice daily and is currently enjoying her honeymoon.:) She wants a pump and we'll speak to Yale about it next month. We found out her A1c was 17 at diagnosis but is falling, albeit slowly.

I am also mom to Shelby (10 yo) and wife to Randy who is in the Navy.

Thanks to everyone here for all info shared and I am sure I'll be back to asking questions once the honeymoon is over!

9. ccarrol4

ccarrol4 Approved members

I'm Cassie! I'm a freshman (almost sophomore) in college. Dx'd w/ D november 5, 1999 at the age of 11. MDI. Hopefully one day I'll find insurance and be able to get a pump:rolleyes:

10. alismom

alismom Approved members

Hello, I'm Cheryl, Allison's mom. Allison was just diagosed on 12/5/07. She began the Omnipod in February. We are very new to all of this and find that reading the posts is enormously helpful.

11. Kris60

Kris60 Approved members

waves to all the new people, don't be shy. There are no stupid questions!!!!!!! (been m.i.a. for a while, battling bc and chemo)

12. Judy&Alli

Judy&Alli Approved members

Hi I'm Judy, happily married to Scott. We have four great kids ranging in ages from 18 down to 10. My youngest Allison (Alli) was diagnosed June 12, 2006. She just started pumping last month and loves it!!!!!!:D
    Judy:)

13. Big Hair Momma

Big Hair Momma Approved members

Hi, I'm Stacie, mom to Caleb, He was dx'd December 31, 2006. We've been pumping with Cozmo since June. Welcome to all! :)

14. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

prayers for you kris...

My name is valerie, I have a son, Matt, who is now 9 and was diagnosed 1-14-07. Just a bit before his 8th birthday... He is currently using the minimed 522 and we do have the CGM, but havent started that yet, as we want to get used to pumping. Matt curently is using the bayer breeze 2 meter.

I also have a dog, penelope, who is also T1 diabetic on vetsilin injections 2x daily. Penpen currently uses the one touch mini as her meter, she is mad, its black, she wants the pink one... *think its hard getting those kids to check thier glucose levels, try a dog... :p *

thankfully, matt is covered under our 20/80 insurence policy :rolleyes: the dog, is not :eek:

15. jscat

jscat Approved members

Hello, I'm Salena, mom to 4 1/2yr old Cameron who was dx'd Jan/06 when he was 2 1/2yrs old, he has been on MDI's since diagnosis using Humalog and Humulin-N. I also have two other children Ainsley (3) and Trinity (1) both d-free and my husband Jason. We all live in Alberta (Canada).

16. maddiesdad

maddiesdad Approved members

I'm Mike, dad to Madison -- hence, maddiesdad...

Maddie was diagnosed this past year the day between the HANNAH MONTANA concert and Halloween. She was too sick with the "flu" to go to Hannah Montana. Mom did go and have a good time. :)

We live in the Seattle area and Maddie is an 11 year amazing athlete who is a stud fastpitch softball pitcher and a basketball player. Check out videos of her on http://federalwayslam.com/girls

As she is SO active, I might be a good resource for those with children in athletics.

She just started Podding a month or so ago and we will never look back. The Pod ( or probably another pump for that matter ) changes everything.

If you're new here, I'm so sorry you had to find this place but trust me when I say hanging out here will keep you sane and educate you better than your endo... :)

17. Mrs. Russman

Mrs. Russman Approved members

Hi I'm Tanya, mom to Ben dx'd 3-22-07, pumping with animas 2020 Jan. 2008
    Good friend to Heather dx'd Mar. 2001 at age 25

mostly a lurker

Ben was diagnosed when his baby sister was 11 days old.

Ben has been making lego starwars movies...here's some of his movies and others of our family
    http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=7walkers&search_type=

18. Vi'sMom

Vi'sMom Approved members

Hi I'm Kelley, Vi's Mom. Vi was dx'd Feb 04 at 3 yrs old. She's 7 now and we just started pumping with the Amninas (sorry can't spell tonight!) 2020.

We live in Montana.

Vi also has a wonderful (but sometimes overprotective) big brother Michael who is 11.

19. mjtjmcouch

mjtjmcouch Approved members

Hi I'm Jennifer, mom to Jeffrey b. 7/11/03 dx'd 2/29/08. He's on NPH (humilin N), Novolog and Lantus. Very much in honeymoon. Down to almost nothing in insuiln. Has been doing his own testing since day 4 of diagnosis and giving himself injections since day 8 of diagnosis. Still hates shots at the doctors and asks if mom can give the shot and can we please use our shots (needles).

Jeffrey has a 3 yr old sister and a almost 13 yr old brother (God Help US!!!). Having more trouble with the teenager than the big D. :)

I have definitely found a wealth of info and supplies here :)) and today discovered I'm more up-to-date with research and technology than our pedi who happens to be type 1 as well. go figure. We live in Tracy, CA

20. bethdou

bethdou Approved members

I'm Beth, mom of Meghan, newly turned 11-going-on-17. She was dx'd at 8 in August 2005, pumps Cozmo, and uses the Dexcom Seven CGM system.

Little brother is Michael, just turned 9, and DH is Brent (short for Brenton - great name choice, Aidan'sMom! ;)). We live in Phoenix, and are getting ready for the "heat spoils insulin" season for the next six months. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't have even the teeny bits of sanity that I currently have if I hadn't found CWD a couple of months after she was dx'd. I lived in the chat rooms and forums for a long time, staying up way too late at night, listening and learning from people who "get it". I lurk more on the forums now than participate but still check in to see what's new every so often.