- advertisement -

It's our turn now :(

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Meghan'smom, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Meghan'smom

Meghan'smom Approved members

My DD woke up 4 am Friday morning with bad stomach pains. She still has it but hasn't thrown up. I hoping this means she won't!
    I can't get her blood sugar up to the 100's range. With all the carbs she is getting she is running low. I did check for ketones, they were trace and now they are gone. Thank God! Has anyone else had the stomach pain without throwing up? How long do you think it will last? This is the first illness since dx so I am panic struck :(
    Any advice?
    Thanks so much.
    Oh I forgot to mention I haven't bolused her for the carbs cuz she's been low and I still can't get her up. What number do you think is ok for bedtime? Sorry for so many questions. I'm just really worried.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  2. allisa

allisa Approved members

My son isn't pumping.....so.....I may not be the best to answer your quesitons and concerns....but I wanted to give you a cyber hug....

My son has been throwing up most of the day :( so I totally know your stress..... Fever and vomiting.....

I check blood and ketones every 2 hours when he is sick like this....and depending on those I adminster small doses of humalog to bring down ketones....

he wants no food, but will tolerate gatorade ( few sips every hour ) and frozen OJ that I chip off for him to suck on.

His numbers have been pretty good.....

He had his lantus at about 3 AM....so I knew he had at least some background insulin

7:00 bs 77 ketones .3
    no insulin at all....know he won't eat food & has lantus already
    10 :00 bs 120 ketones .9
    1 unit humalog to bring down ketones
    12:00 bs 94 ketones .4
    2:00 bs 133 ketones .6
    4:00 bs 89 ketones .8
    1 unit humalog to bring down ketones
    6:00 bs 98 ketones .6
    8:00 bs 117 ketones .3

Last night he had basketball practice and then we went to watch the high school basketball game. He had pizza and skittles at the game.....and felt fine....he was happy and had a great night ! I checked him at 3 Am ( and gave his lantus) I actually expected him to be a little high due to the pizza....but he was 66 which surprised me. I gave him 3 tabs and went to bed. at 7 Am he came in and said his tummy hurt....he was burning hot :( and threw up immediately.....

The rest of the day would be catching up on housework because we are going NOWHERE and checking blood !

It sounds like you are doing just right by your DD....hope she feels better soon !

3. CC'sMom

CC'sMom Approved members

that stomach bug just went through our house. Everyone felt like they were going to throw up, but no one did. Lots of bad stomach pain and nausea though. It was weird as my daughters numbers were prefect the entire time she felt lousy. I don't want to comment on a good bedtime number because your daughter is so much younger then mine. I did check her a couple times during the night.

Hope you little one feels better soon. ((HUGS))

4. BozziesMom

BozziesMom Approved members

Oh NO. So sorry. We're not pumping either, so have not a clue how to advise you. I hope she gets better soon.

5. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

The first stomach bug is really scary. I was so grateful to everyone at CWD for talking me through it.

For sick days our instructions are not to give insulin until you can get bg up to 200 and then only correct down to 150.

With the stomach bug my kids had, some vomitted, some did not. But the tummy aches lasted longer than usual, with the kids complaining of pain everytime they ate, headaches and dizziness for a full week.

I hope your DDs on the mend quickly. Post with any worries or questions. Everyone here is great to lend support no matter how silly you might think you are. We have all been there. Good luck.:cwds:

6. allisa

allisa Approved members

but....and this is where it is scary for me.....IF there are ketones.....you MUST give insulin to get rid of the ketones......

My son had to be hospitalized 3 years ago when he had a stomach bug & perfect bs numbers....and I held back on insulin because he wasn't eating anything, meanwhile his ketones were building and building.....I was only checking urine ketones then ( have and LOVE the blood ketone meter now)......and I wasn't as vigilant with the ketones as I should have been:( looking back....I know he would have wound up in the hospital no matter what I did...because he couldn't even keep water down.....he was vomiting several times an hour.....due to bug or ketones ??

But ever since that .....I now understand the importance of watching ketones and giving insulin to get rid of them.....

Your dd isn't vomiting and that is good....but.....keep checking those ketones every time you check bs.....just to be sure !!

7. Meghan'smom

Meghan'smom Approved members

Thank you so much, all of you. I can't even begin to tell you how much your reassurances help. You guys are so great and I am so thankful for the support and the hugs :)
    I hate stomach viruses so much!!I'm just so glad that I have someplace to come for help.
    Allisa, I am so sorry your son is sick too. I hope he gets better quick. Did he stop throwing up yet?
    Thanks again guys!!!!

8. Shirley and Jamie V.

Shirley and Jamie V. Approved members

The same bug went though my house from Dec. 29 well into January. My daughter with D started the whole thing and then got it again at the end!

My husband had the pain and did NOT vomit. The other four of us did. The kids only vomited for about four hours then really bounced back. My husband and I couldn't move for three days. I took a shower and was so exhausted I went to sleep for three hours.

My D daughter was 40 when she started vomiting the first time. She had bolused for a big snack and suddenly couldn't eat it. We got her up with juice, but had the glucagon ready as well. We cut her basal by 40 or 50% if she is low and vomits until she up to about 150. That seems to work for us. She is almost 10 years old so we can reason with her if we have to.

Good luck and maybe she won't through up.

9. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

Yes, ketones are the big worry. You don't just wait for bgs of 200. You have to push the liquid carbs as much as possible to get the bg to 200 so you can give insulin for the ketones if they're present. Our Endo is just saying don't give insulin for any carbs until the bg is already up to 200, because you run the risk of giving carbs, dosing with insulin, and then having the child vomit the carbs up.

If my DD is running high from illness I'm not going to worry about correcting down to 100 either. But the OP said she was having trouble with persistent lows.

I agree the blood ketone meter is a must have.