- advertisement -

"It's not my fault"

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by mapoe4, Jan 8, 2010.

1. mapoe4

mapoe4 Approved members

John's BG's have been going up a lot lately. He knows how to read the numbers on the meter now. And he knows when they are high. The last few days he has been telling me that "It's not my fault" I have told him that it isn't his fault that I need to make some adjustments to his pump so that his numbers will come down.
    This breaks my heart that he is thinking it is his fault. I try to explain to him that it isn't anything he is doing wrong and that there will be times that his numbers will be different than they should be and we will fix them.
    He is only 5 and I don't know how to explain it to him that it isn't his fault.

2. Boo

Boo Approved members

Awww. How sweet. Just keep doing what your doing. Don't make it a big deal- just correct, give him a hug, and move on. :cwds:

3. mom2ejca

mom2ejca Approved members

We went thru a period where dd would get very upset over high numbers. So we had a conversation about how the number is only important because it tells us what to do, it's not a reflection of her or me. It's like a stop light that tells us what to do when we're driving...

red=stop
    yellow=slow down (or speed up depending on who's driving;))
    green= go.

When we do a bg check we pretty much have 3 options...

1. a number above "xxx" (whatever you correct to) then we give extra insulin,
    2. a number below "xx" (whatever you treat as a low)then we give food,
    3. a number between "xx" & "xxx" then we do nothing:cwds:

I would also encourage you to take a step back and look at how you respond to a high number. It's very easy to display our frustration over a high number (I'm guilty :eek: as I'm sure other's here are too) and it may not even be a verbal thing, maybe you get a certain look on your face when his number is high.

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Abby sometimes apologizes for a high number. I remind her that it's not something she did, it may mean that:

1)We got the carbs wrong and didn't give enough insulin
    2)She needs some adjustments to her pump
    3)It's just a weird day and her numbers decided not to play nice with anyone:D

Just keep doing what you're doing and remind him that he's not doing anything wrong.