- advertisement -

It's not all life threatening

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Sarah Maddie's Mom, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Susanne

Susanne Approved members

I just wanted to add that even though most people are trying their best to pull it together and stay strong for our kids, this disease is very scary in the beginning. I am relatively relaxed about things now (although I have 50% more grey hair...) but I understand when people are freaking out. In the first year, especially with a little child, diabetes is scary - I admit I had to tell myself often to let it go and to repeat the mantra:"It will not kill her". But even now, 1 1/2 years into this I look at my little girl in her sleep and cry sometimes. Why? Because diabetes sucks, it is not fair, it is demanding, it limits her no matter how hard we try to ignore it. And it might cause health complications one day. Those are facts and I think they can be overwhelming especially in the beginning. And more so for people with multiple conditions such as celiac, severe allergies, autism etc.

To sum it up - yes, we all need to relax and be realistic about "emergencies" - but for some people a blood sugar of 380 seems like an emergency, ketones for the first time send you gasping for air.
    I believe this site is not only for advanced pumpers/ diabetes pros but also for educating people and to help them overcome the fears not to make them feel scared to post when they feel emotional and worried.

I must admit that I am on the forum daily to learn but have felt inadequate and like "a greenhorn" to respond to posts. The tone lately has changed noticably. People should be able to come to the forum not worried about how to phrase their questions - as long as they are not intimidating or rude.

Just my two cents as a "junior member".

2. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

well said...and I believe the junior member/senior member stuff is silly...we're all in this together and just because somebody has posted more doesn't mean they know more :)

3. skimom

skimom Approved members

Sarah - I agree with your original post. If I wasn't able to sift through the "alarmist" posts and instead took what so many say and do to heart, I'm sure I would be beating myself up for being the "lousy parent".Maybe it is because my two diabetic children are older so they can advocate for themselves , maybe it is because I have two diabetic children and choose to pick my battles, maybe because I have so many other things in my life that need my attention and time that I do not have the time or desire to "micromanage" my children or their diabetes. If today isn't good, there is always tomorrow...
    Their A1C's while not perfect , are pretty good and the kids are working at getting them better. I am not a lousy mom because their A1C's are not below 7 ( similarly, I would not be a better parent if their A1C's were low). I do not panic and worry about eye damage or peripheral neuropathy if BG is high for a few hours, i do not grab the glucagon every time they go really low. We deal with things as they happen and move on. That is not to say that at the beginning, we weren't more vigilant and reacted differently, but with experience we have been able to settle into a rhythm that works for us. We have never been a family that gets too worked up about things and again that is one of those YDMV things I guess.
    Diabetes could be all consuming in our family - we have made a promise to each other that we will do everything in our power to allow our children the life they deserve to have and that diabetes will have to fit into that plan. That is not to say that we don't take this stupid disease seriously and struggle with it but our energy is better used creating a positive , cooperative , supportive atmosphere in which all of our kids can thrive. Two of my three kids have diabetes, and that sucks BUT I am also fortunate to live in a time that those two kids are able to access the expertise and medications that allow them to be alive and to LIVE their lives.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  4. lilysmom

lilysmom Approved members

Ahh...and there it is. The exact antagonistic and unproductive comments that keep me from here. I posted today to hopefully prove myself wrong and be part of a conversation that some dear friends were a part of. I am an adult and entitled to opinions as you are. I just do not treat people in the same manner. And I am not dropping names...they are not celebrities...I was merely pointing out that I love the CWD...it's the likes of this thread that keep me away. Oh...and my blog is a hobby, it is not my job so whoever reads it is up to them. I have no need to "plug" it.

My feathers don't ruffle easily and they certainly won't get ruffled by a few sticks and stones. So...I bid you all the best in your endeavors and wish you the best in your diabetes management.

5. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

Lillymom: I am a nOOb and I do not know anyone, but I liked this thread. Maybe you found it unproductive and antagonistic and I respect your opinion. But some of us liked the concept of looking at a a condition that is life threatening to our precious darlings as something that better not F with us because we are taking it DOWN. That's a good thing:) Our kids will do sports, be happy, go to parties, go to sleepovers, go to college, get married and have kids, and yes make a difference in this world. If you want to criticize, go ahead. If you want to huff off, fine. I have done the same thing many times and I will do it again But this is a good thread for some of us, if not you! Keep on keeping on:)

6. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

I blog and it's *all* about D and Autism, and how Autism makes D more "interesting". I try to put funny anecdotes into each post, but the whole reason I blog is so I can talk about D and Autism online. Those who want to read it can, those who don't, don't have to. But I can get my feelings out and I don't have to talk about it insessantly to people who don't want to hear it. On a blog, they can choose not to read. If I have them cornered, they feel they have to listen. :D
    (No I don't corner people to talk about D or Autism)

My blog is a place to laugh at myself and J, to hopefully educate people about Type 1 and how different is is than Type 2, and to educate people about what life with an Autistic kid is like.

I did do one about how he was high (off the Dex) for HOURS overnight - like the whole night, almost. And I did mention how that can lead to complications. (not that single night, obviously. Just how highs can lead to complications)
    And I've done one about how I came home from work and he was asleep and had a BG of 43.
    "43 is not a happy number. If I had not come home and given him juice, he very well could have slept right on until he started seizing and maybe died. Scary stuff.
    Right now, he is up and playing games after drinking two juice boxes. But the Dexcom did not "fix" his low BG. It's a wonderful tool, I'm thrilled to have it, but it is another "not a cure"."

I was saying that because it is possible that could have happened, and I'm trying to educate people about Type 1. I wasn't freaked out about the 43, but I was very glad I came home when I did. He has woken for a low once in the 30's but he was so freaked out I don't know if he would have treated himself or not if he had woken that day. Knowing J, he would have called me and wanted me to "fix it" over the phone. That's the type of "interesting" spin that Autism puts on D.

7. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

well said.

and I would add, I don't even care if Diabetes goes down. I don't even care. someone once said it was like that ugly sofa that you got as a hand me down 20 years ago and it still sits in your living room. Ugly. Uncomfortable. But you're too damn busy with life to really give a crap so you shove a slipcover over it and go about with life.

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Honestly, I think you are just looking for an argument.

9. caspi

caspi Approved members

If this place is as awful as you keep saying, then why are you here? No one forced you to come onto this thread to begin with and no one is forcing you to stay here. I just don't understand your reasoning for continuing to slam people if you don't like it here. :confused: :confused: :confused:

10. dejahthoris

Maybe someone is pms-ing. I get like that, but its usually my poor husband that gets his head ripped off and used for a bowling ball.

11. frizzyrazzy

bah...like I told my 17 year old today - "do NOT be one of those girls who blames every bad mood on PMS or "that time of month". It's so not cute.

See, I even tell the non-d to just suck it up. ROFL..

12. dejahthoris

Is the couch made of that horrible plaid plastic polyester that is flammable and are their scary sticky things under the cushions from years of having kids?

13. frizzyrazzy

pretty much. that's the couch.

It could be like your smelly uncle who moved in and won't leave....

I've got analogies up the wazoo...

14. dejahthoris

Hee hee, that's been one good thing about me getting older, it's about over.. now my 23 yr old daughter that's another story! let's not get into drama queens!

15. Lee

Lee Approved members

So, is it ok for me to go to your blog, take offense over one little post and bash you in the comments on all your posts? AND spread it around the DOC about what a b!tch I think you are? I would be happy to do that for you. And I just might based on your judgmental post.

I am insulted that you feel free to bash an entire community over a heated debate. And the JDRF thread that got so heated, well - it got blown out of proportion by a blogger who later apologized for it...

As Sarah said, that was one thread in thousands...one. just.one.
    There are times when people get their panties in a bunch - but as a community, we generally love each other and the interaction we have. I see no reason why you even came here and posted this except to be insulting. Consider it mission accomplished.

Please - take the time to get to know the community before hating on it...

Looking forward to posting snide and passive aggressive on your blog :) See ya there!

16. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

When the heck did this thread become about the blogs??:confused:

17. Dmama24/7/365

Dmama24/7/365 Approved members

Geez

Ok so I will say I was the one who FIRST mentioned blogging. I didnt say this post was directed AT blogs, I was just saying that sometimes for ME, it helps to vent and spread awareness etc via blogging, twitter or my fb. But that I understood the alarmist thing and the OPs point.

I believe it was Hawkeyegirl ? and I who disagreed but saw each others points and moved on.

Regardless to if we agree with the OP or not I dont understand how this became about bashing someone for their difference of opinions. I read through the post 2x, and I never shifted the thread to bloggers, but it was a valid example.

Why is it that a topic cant be discussed without degrading one another? I dont get it.

And FYI CWD is considered PART of the DOC.

18. dejahthoris

I have a blog too! I think I have 4 fans including myself! I think I am going to go to my own blog and insult myself harshly. Will that make everything all right? That is, if I can remember what website my blog is on, what my user name is, and what my freakin password was. Never mind. Sounds like work to me.

19. Dmama24/7/365

Dmama24/7/365 Approved members

Just so its clear exactly what I s aid.

20. Lee

Lee Approved members

Haha - I would probably read your blog - at least once or twice! I tend to read blog links in peoples signatures and follow quite a few on a regular basis. Although, I must say - I dislike having the blog shoved in my face - like - hey - I just made this great post - go read it! I remember a time when blatant advertising was not permitted here.