- advertisement -

It's not all life threatening

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Sarah Maddie's Mom, Mar 23, 2011.

1. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

I beg to differ. My son has been hospitalized twice since his diagnosis and his diabetes was most certainly part of the management the medical team provided...too aggressively, as they were not familiar with his regimen, but they did allow me to step in and modify their treatment of his diabetes.

Making a blanket staement that diabetes care is not provided during hospitalization is not productive here. I am sorry that has been your experience, but it is not universal.

2. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

I'm sorry you feel bad, but it sounds like you are determined to blame diabetes for all your problems, and not get the correct help that you need. People have given you very good advice and yet it sounds like to just want to feel bad.

This forum is for parents of kids with diabetes.. many people that post here aren't parents, but have very valuable advice for those of us who do...I guess I'm not sure what you hope to accomplish by posting how horrible diabetes is for you.. when you won't help yourself. I hope you do get some help and change doctors.

3. buggle

buggle Approved members

I have a friend who has another health condition. He is very negative and completely miserable. No matter what anyone says or does, he can't ever see any hope for himself. No matter what you suggest, he has a reason why it won't work.

I still keep trying once in a while anyway, but I know he won't listen. I know he feels lousy, but he won't do anything that anyone suggests to help him feel better. He has a trust fund, so he's never had to work and I think that's part of the problem. It allows him to be in this situation where he only focuses on his problems. He doesn't have to sleep at night or keep regular hours and he's horribly lonely and depressed. He's never married or had a relationship and blames his illness. I know lots of other people who've had full lives with his illness, though they do struggle. A lot of this depends on personality and how you deal with life. Looking at this friend, when he became ill as a teenager, he got very little support from his family who just handed him money and wanted him to go away.

I'm trying to learn what helps a person cope and live a happy life, so I can try to help my son to develop a good attitude about his life with diabetes. He's pretty happy now as a kid, but I don't want him to slip into a pattern of depression and misery when he's older.

4. carbz

carbz Banned

I haven't read this thoroughly but http://journal.diabetes.org/clinicaldiabetes/v18n12000/Pg17.htm

5. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Ok, so, if I'm understanding correctly, you're trying very hard to get BGLs to be as close as possible to someone without diabetes? But that is not working out too well, because your BGLs fall too fast or not go down fast enough?? And the physiological stress (from regular mind stress as well as actual physical changes stress) are causing you to feel like crap all the time?

6. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

Frankly, I don't think carbz wants help. It's easier to b*tch and moan about the current situation than try to find new doctors that might be able to help.
    People who want help are willing to try new things instead of just leaving things the way they are. If the situation stays the same, carbz will never feel any better.
    J is that way - he will cry and whine that his stomach hurts but when I offer him some meds that should help, he doesn't want to take a pill! "But Mom, you have to make it stop hurting! No, I don't want a pill. But make it stop hurting!"
    Until he is ready to make a change (swallowing that pill in his case) nothing is going to change.

I know carbz feels like crap, but looking at life as though nothing is ever going to get better, it will always be the same or even worse, seems to me to indicate depression. That can be helped, IF carbz will ask for help for it. I've suffered from depression off an on for over 20 years. When it gets bad, I go back on Prozac. (when the Prozac is working well I tend to go off, because "I feel fine, I don't need this!" :eek: )
    Life looks much better even when you are dealing with constant crap if you aren't depressed on top of the crap.

7. caspi

caspi Approved members

First of all, to the OP Sarah, thank you for a great thread!

This is just my opinion, but in light of how the thread has taken a different direction, perhaps it's best if we leave carbz issues up to professionals. Again, just my opinion.... :cwds:

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Thanks, Christina. :cwds:

I like these sorts of conversations.

I very much appreciate all the comments and ideas that folks have shared. It's been really interesting.:D

9. carbz

carbz Banned

I wonder how its even remotely possible for a non diabetic to have hyperglycemia let alone a life threatening level? :confused: Anyway the point again I am trying to emphasize is we are always at risk of life threatening scenarios each and everyday from this whether its due to hypoglycemia, hyperglycemia, heart disease...etc. For those insisting I do not want to get better your sadly mistaken but to me anyway diabetes is like a prison sentence which robbed me of my well being. Could things get better with medication? Possibly a little but my personal situation is another saga story. Remember the rest of your life doesn't care that you have diabetes and take it into consideration when problems arise it just keeps on doing its thing.

10. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Precisely. We are ALL at risk of life threatening situations every day... not just those of us with diabetes. I don't have life threatening hypo or hyperglycaemia on an everyday basis (and by that I don't mean my BGs are flat full time, but it's fairly unusual for me to go below 30 or above 400).

11. carbz

carbz Banned

Good for you. I'm not advocating you have to be miserable if you have diabetes however statistically many people with chronic conditions especially due to the demands of something like diabetes suffer with great depression far more then the average person does. I don't have to be looked at as a bad influence cause I hate diabetes and pray for relief of it often. I never really learned how to deal with hardships or stress very well as I've lived a very sheltered life. From the time I was a little kid if something didn't go smooth I couldn't deal with it my mom would always say if its too hard or too stressful walk away from it. Well that is starting to heavily catch up with me. I am probably the worst kind of person to be stuck with a condition like this besides the fact that I feel awful often. Yeah I know anyone could loose there life any-day and could be completely healthy but diabetes is still a ticking time bomb anyway you cut it. Everytime I read something posted about a new death on the internet many end up being from diabetic related complications.

12. Timmy Mac

Timmy Mac Approved members

It may be a time bomb, but stop thinking about your time left and start putting it to use. If I spent all of my time thinking about the different ways diabetes might kill me, then I would be a pretty darn miserable person too. Find a reason to enjoy life and live for it. Then, if some day, a cure is found that defuses this bomb, then great! That will be a great relief. But until then, I'm going to live in the now and try not to think about things that may or may not happen.

"We only live once, but once is enough if we do it right."

13. Dmama24/7/365

Dmama24/7/365 Approved members

I dont know why but your comment totally made my day. We strive for our children to have the best A1Cs and sugars we can and its not easy! But reading that kinda was like a chill pill :)

So thank you Emma!

I also agree. Diabetes is NOT easy but like everything in life its what you make of it. I do vent I wont lie. But on fb, or my blog but I NEVER show those emotions to my son. He has his own emotions and feelings regarding D and when he wants to we discuss them, but I dont show my thoughts on it. Thats unfair and selfish. They have enough on their plates.

No one is denying D CAN be life threatening but not every bg, bad site, or miscalculated dinner IS. I think thats the point. Thank OP :)

The attitude in this house is "We kick D's butt, not the other way around".

Anyway I took a step back for a few days and am glad to reread this post with fresh eyes.
    Even though the thread has gone astray a few times, when you sit back, read all the posts and think, its a great message for all of us.

D is hard but its not the end all be all of our lives. Kids and adults alike.

14. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

I was 472 at dx. I'm 541 right now. I have NEVER been this high before, but I had two sites in a row that didn't go in, and I didn't notice it. Sure, I have a stomach-ache, and my mouth feels like the Sahara, but I took a correction via syringe, and I'm going to be okay. The paper that I just wrote may not be okay though :p.

15. hrtmom3

hrtmom3 Approved members

This is one that tugs at me in both directions. I haven't been on CWD that often lately so as far as what you see as a new trend, that I am not familiar with. I do hear what you are saying though as far as not every low, every carb count, etc needs to be perceived as a "code red" event. I agree. Although I am sure in the past that heads shook as some of my posts were read and perceived that way. I think living with D is kind of like growing up.
    At first we may feel like we just can't do this alone. We might tend to whine or cry more and need people to feed us, whether it be knowledge, wisdom, encouragement, etc. Then like a toddler we start to take baby steps, we start to explore more, learn more, and feel more comfortable taking on more on our own yet still we want someone to help guide us. Then there are those child years where we just have question after question and those tween years where we just want to be heard. Then those teen years where we thought we knew it all but were often reminded there was more to learn and know. Then as we grow older we sometimes look back at things we have done or said and are able to shrug it off, laugh about it, and move on. Although, I think one thing is the same throughout the years is that we all want to be heard; whether it is with a whine, cry, question, knowledge, wisdom, or whatever we just want to be heard. As our children grow up, they grow physically, emotionally, socially, and spiritually; though we don't expect them to do it all the same and at the same time. That 's like with d too. Our children progress through their d journey differently, and we as parents of CWD's also progress though that journey differently. We are all different and that's ok. Sadly the d community is growing and as it grows we are going to see more people needing to whine, needing to cry, needing to ask questions, and needing to share every thing they know and this should be the place we should be able do it all without being judged for doing so. We want the outside world to see that living with D can suck, and at the same time it's not that bad. We want them to see that our children can do anything that other children can do yet at the same time it does sometimes take more vigilance, effort, inconveniences, and yes sometimes it is difficult. We want them to see that yes it can and has taken lives of people we care about, yet that doesn't mean it will be for our child. We want the "outside world" to "get it" but CWD is for us, all of us dealing with D and this should be a place where we can let it out in whatever way we need to.

16. sooz

sooz Approved members

That was so well said. My granddaughter Hailey was diagnosed with type 1 when she was four. She will turn 9 in May. On Thursday her 38 year old Daddy passed away while exercising at the gym at 10:30 in the morning. He loved life, he loved his two little girls, Hailey and her sister Faith aged 5, and his wife (my daughter) Lisa. His mother has lost her beloved son. He had hundreds of friends and did so much for the community. We are all heartbroken and confused. Bobby had no illnesses what so ever. No diabetes, no known diseases of any kind. Just went to the gym, exercised and died. We are waiting for the coroner's report for some answers..probably it was a heart attack with no previous symptoms. His burial will be on Friday.

Preparing for his service I came on this quote:

"Death is more universal than life; everyone dies, but not everyone lives." A. Sachs

Please everyone, live your life and don't focus on fear and unhappiness. You are alive, live.

17. momof2here

momof2here Approved members

This was incredibly well said... absolutely beautiful and so true! :)

18. buggle

buggle Approved members

I'm so sorry, Susan. We all really do have to find all the joy we can in each moment. I wish peace and strength to your daughter, your granddaughters and all of your family.

19. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I am so sorry, Susan.:( My thoughts are with you and your family.

20. caspi

caspi Approved members

I am so, so sorry for loss!:(