- advertisement -

It's not all life threatening

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Sarah Maddie's Mom, Mar 23, 2011.

1. carbz

carbz Banned

Thanks for the concern everyone but Its clearly the sugar fluctuations. I've documented this and I know my body extremely well living with this 36 years. I truly wish this wasn't the case but it is. What I don't know is if there is another underlying problem that when the sugars fluctuate it magnifies it? Sometimes if I am real low and just eat a little initially I may feel even worse thinking my sugar is high only to check and get a reading of 68. Then if I am running even a little high and eat even a piece of sugar free gum I feel a slight spike and become even more irritable. Sounds bizarre but that's my reality. When I was younger and my sugar went low I got the typical shakes, sweats and numb lips but no mental distress that I could remember. When my sugars went high I basically pissed and drank like a fiend and my vision got a little blurry but never really remember being wicked irritable from it like I am these days and for the longest time now. The symptoms now are far worse and I am in relatively much better control being MDI and carb counting. I've been at whits end for years living like this.

2. carbz

carbz Banned

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  3. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Carbz,

We all want you to feel better. As someone said, you deserve to feel happier.

Would you be willing to ask a doc to run all sorts of tests, especially hormonal levels to see if that is not interfering somehow with how you feel, and somehow affecting the D side of things?

It's not because you're used to feeling like this that you should let it continue. But you know that, right?:cwds:

Best of luck.

4. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Carbz, the main thing I'm confused about is that non-D people spike over 140 after meals... being over 140 isn't, in itself, generally considered to be a high number. Are you absolutely sure that your symptoms are caused by being high rather than from knowing that you're high?

By the way, I'm sorry if my post yesterday seemed abrupt. I feel like I should give some more information.. Besides D, I also have depression (for the record, completely unrelated to D in my case), which is controlled right now. It upsets me to see someone who seems to have problems which go beyond diabetes tell parents that their children will have that problem because of diabetes. Most people do NOT feel the way you do with BGs above 140 or below 70, and I think it's terrible that doctors have let you believe that this is a purely diabetes related problem.

5. carbz

carbz Banned

I'll say it again as far as I know its the levels. If your interested here is an article about glucose levels. I would bet that any non-diabetic that even does hit the 140 level post meal has some kind of impaired secretion. I know levels can vary from person to person but I think anyone with a perfectly functioning pancreas should achieved the levels discussed here.

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/16422495.php

6. carbz

carbz Banned

Scary stuff and though I have relatively good cholesterol about a few years back my eye doctor noticed I had these puffy like things on my eyelids which are called Xanthelasmas. Bascially they are fat deposits and after doing research it was noted that people with them had a much greater chance of having eventual heart problems and more common in people with diabetes. My dad has had some heart issues so likely I'll follow. So I'll say it again life threatening very much YES!

7. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

If you are symptomatic like this every time you hit 140, and, therefore, correct, your blood glucose control and A1C have to be immaculate.

At least that is something to be happy about :)

8. carbz

carbz Banned

Not really, I walk around miserable. I'd rather be walking around with 250 BS and feel great. But FWIW over the last decade the majority have been in the mid 6's and a few oddball mid 7's and low 8's. I usually have them checked twice a year. I honestly don't care about what they are anyway as it doesn't really represent good control even though the lower the better.

9. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Well 6.5 puts your average bg at approximately 154. If your A1C is say 6.5 you must be spending a fair amount of time above 140

10. carbz

carbz Banned

Pretty bizarre having type 1 diabetes and spending lots of time over 140...huh.It is what is and I'll probably have heart disease or possibly dead within the decade anyway if they don't cure it. At least then I'll be in peace. No more bills, stress, poking, sticking jabbing, anxiety, distress... From the bottom of my heart good luck to rest of the diabetic community.

11. Timmy Mac

Timmy Mac Approved members

I have heard someone with pretty much the exact same story as you over at TuD. If that person isn't you, you two may want to meet up on there...

While I may not have the first hand experience of living with diabetes 30 years ago (only 13 here), from the stories I've hear about testing back then, your control HAS to be better now. If there was a time to think that you would be dead within the decade, it would be then. Any damage that occurs at 140 is extremely minor. An A1c of 6.5 is great! Pretty much ALL T1s spend more time over 140 than they would like. Even people with 9+ A1cs aren't falling out 10 years down the road.

And I completely agree with the OP. I don't let D-related issues bother me. A few days ago, I forgot my Lantus shot. I woke up at 280, and stayed there for at least 16 hours. Did I feel like crap? Definitely. Did at any point I think that I was gonna die? Not at all. I just took about double my needed Humalog for the rest of the day and took my Lantus at its regular time. After years of having this disease, the experiences that I've been through really help me think coolly in stressful situations. I don't freak out at every bad number. Theres a difference between being concerned and over reacting.

12. wilf

wilf Approved members

Carbz, your doctor is incompetent. Get a new one, and if you have the energy report your current one to their medical association.

How you feel is not a normal symptom of the diabetes - there is something else happening. It needs to be looked into by a competent medical professional.

13. caspi

caspi Approved members

Timmy, for a 13 year old you have a fantastic attitude and seem very knowledgable about D. I'm sorry you have to read this post. I do hope that carbz gets the help he needs! :cwds:

14. Timmy Mac

Timmy Mac Approved members

Sorry, that was a little unclear. I meant that I've only had diabetes for 13 years. I'm actually 18. Thanks for the compliment though :)

15. caspi

caspi Approved members

18 is still young in my book! :D

16. carbz

carbz Banned

Ok so your suggesting its my Doctors fault that I feel awful. I'll let her know at my next visit.

17. Lee

Lee Approved members

We are all- not just Wilf - suggesting that Yes - your doctor is at fault because she is not getting you the help you need.

Instead of giving up and accepting that you are going to be miserable for the rest of your life, decide to do something about it. You control your own fate...

I know that it is tiring to feel constantly at battle for your health, but don't give up.

18. wilf

wilf Approved members

No, I'm suggesting that if your doctor's response to the fact that you feel awful most of the time is "sorry, that's diabetes" then your doctor is incompetent. You can let her know that I said that at your next visit if you like.

Better yet, find a competent medical professional who takes your problems seriously and provides you with effective ways to deal with them.

19. carbz

carbz Banned

I disagree and believe my reality is going to remain full of distress when the levels are off. Suggesting that there is no way I could feel the way I describe I do at the levels I do is ignorant. Look at the chart I posted about what glucose levels should be. It clearly shows within two hours post meal most people are 100 or lower. I've played around with my dosing and if I am 100 at two hours I'll probably dip down around 70 when its done. Not terrible but very difficult to achieve in real life. Even if they find another underlying piece of the puzzle the fact is Diabetes is clearly life threatening which is what this topic is really about anyway. Dr Levetan of CureDM has an article about Hyperglycemia in the hospital "A matter of life or Death". If you have to go into the hospital for anything they don't manage your diabetes. My dad was in for a few days and his sugars were running between 350 and 450 the few days he was there. I'd F*****G kill someone if they did that to me.

20. wilf

wilf Approved members

I am not disagreeing with what you are experiencing. What you are experiencing is your reality, and it sounds very distressing. Your day to day life experience sounds awful. I am very sorry that life is so hard for you.

What I am saying is that what you are experiencing is NOT normal for a person with Type 1 diabetes. In all my experiences with people with diabetes (on this site and other sites and in real life) I've not ever met or heard of a person who's experiencing what you are.

Therefore, I conclude that what you are experiencing is not due to the diabetes - otherwise lots of other diabetics would be having the same awful experiences. They're not!

I don't doubt your account that the fluctuations in blood sugars from the diabetes are adding to your distress either.

I am questioning the competence of a medical professional who when presented with an absolutely unique and very distressing set of symptoms in a patient dismisses them by saying "sorry, that's diabetes". She should be reported to her medical association - a complaint should be filed.

Moreover, you need to seek out competent medical help. A competent professional will help you find a way of addressing your symptoms. I firmly believe that there is a solution to your situation. But you have to get off your duff and get the help you need - your current doctor is incompetent so don't go to her.

Find someone new, someone who takes you and your issues seriously and works with you to get them addressed. I wish you the best of luck.. :cwds: