- advertisement -

It's here!!!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by polly, Jun 18, 2011.

1. polly

polly Approved members

We are so excited to get our 5 year-old on the pump Tuesday. He's been really excited about it, but am now detecting a little anxiety on his (okay, EVERYONE'S) part. I know this is to be expected. Any advice on making the transition easier? Any materials, cases, etc. to recommend? We just bought a pump skin and pump pack that he was excited to pick out. Thanks!

2. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

Ds was 2 when he started on the pump so he wasn't hesitant because we made the decision for him. Me on the other hand I was beating myself up hoping we were doing the right thing. It took us a good two weeks to tweak numbers and the entire time I second guessed myself....3 years into this and two years pumping I can't imagine living without.

It's another learning curve and that's always a little overwhelming but you will all be fine and will wonder how you ever did without.

Ds usually just wears his pump with a clip on the waist of his pants. We have a skin and screen protector. As for pump pouches we really like spibelt.

Good luck you will do great :)

3. aslan1994

aslan1994 Approved members

It IS exciting to get a pump. My daughter just got hers two weeks ago, the day before her 7th b-day. She was very excited - I was a little (OK, a LOT) intimidated by the whole thing. The nurse training us was excellent and within 2 and a half hours, Ella was attached and ready to go! I remember driving home thinking, "Are you kidding me? How can they let me take this child home? Her life depends on me remembering everything I've just been taught in the last couple of hours!" :eek: I was scared that I would forget something, but at the same time confident that the endo would not have sent me out the door if he thought I couldn't handle it. :) Turned out we're doing fine with it and my dd and I love the pump!
    Being so new to this ourselves I don't really have any advice, but it is life-changing and makes diabetes management so much easier! God's blessings as you begin this new venture!

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I'd have some special treat on hand that he gets to eat as soon as you get the site in. I will never forget the first thing my son got to eat WITHOUT a shot. The smile on his face was priceless. :)