- advertisement -

It's been a while! What pumps are most popular?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Kim Kaar, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Kim Kaar

Kim Kaar Approved members

Hello All,

It has been some time since I've been in a CWD Forum (but never far from CWD :) I am Kim and my son Alex, 17 years old, has had Type 1 since he was diagnosed in 2000 at 18 months old. We've been with CWD for just as long!

As you can imagine, Alex pretty much handles all of his diabetes care. I've never stopped "learning/helping in the background" though and that's why I'm here this morning ... looking to find out what most teen/young adults are using for insulin pumps these days. He currently uses the Animas Ping and is up for a new pump through insurance coverage. Have an integrated CGMS and insulin pump would be ideal, but we don't want MiniMed. Is the Vibe available in America and is anyone using it? He likes the idea of the T-Slim, but I have concerns about it's battery and whether or not it is a device that is poised to be integrated with a CGM.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    Kim

2. Mimikins

Mimikins Approved members

Hi! I'm currently using the TSlim. Overall, I am really happy with the pump and customer service.

Newer models of the TSlim can be integrated with the Dexcom G4 system through the TSlim G4. If your son uses more than 300 units of insulin within 3 days of pumping, the TFlex is also an option (it holds 480 units of insulin), though I don't think they are fully integrated with Dexcom like the TSlim G4 (you could use a dexcom, but you would need a receiver for it, I believe).

In terms of the battery, I can very easily get 14 days of use out of one full battery (I typically charge and upload to t:connect once a week, or once my battery gets to 50%). It takes about 45(ish) minutes for the battery to go from 50 to 100%. On Facebook, I've seen some resourceful people use a portable battery pack to charge their TSlim while walking around, but the pump comes with a micro USB charger, a car charger piece, and a electric outlet piece.

The Animas Vibe is available in the US, though I have no experience with it.

3. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

My kid has had a Cozmo, a Ping and a MM and just switched to the t:Slim a few months ago. She really likes it. The cartridge filling process is a bit annoying, it takes a bit longer and you can't pre-fill cartridges as we used to do with all three prior pumps, but it doesn't seem to bother her much. As far as charging goes, the most important things in her life, her phone and her laptop all require charging so it's pretty much a non-issue, though I was concerned when we first made the switch. She, like most people I've talked to, just charges it while she showers. Our t:slim isn't integrated and now that the dexcom transmits directly to her phone she just does that and it's working out fine.

Hope that helps.

5. Kim Kaar

Excellent!

Thanks so much for all of your help!

Kim
    Mother of Alex, dx: 2/19/00

6. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Another vote for the t:slim. It is a beautiful, elegant, intuitive pump. Once your son gets his hands on it I bet that's what he'll choose. The touchscreen and interface are really great.

I did want to suggest that you call Tandem and find out their timeline for a new program called Odyssey. Apparently you will get a "base" pump and then they can push software updates over the web, so you always have the newest technology. http://www.healthline.com/diabetesmine/tandem-diabetes-envisions-different-type-future-tech-upgrade

We got our pump in 2014 and have had no issues at all, but I agree that the fill process is fussy and time-consuming. They made an upgrade to the software that addresses this (and I believe allows for pre-filling cartridges? Can anyone verify?) but we can't get it because they do not have an upgrade program. Odyssey would address this one bugaboo.

I bow down to you and your son, I can only imagine how I will feel about this disease in 17 years!

7. Kim Kaar

It's been a while! What pumps are most popular?

Thank you jenm999 for the valuable information about the availability of software updates!

With regards to our experience living with D ... yes, we've seen a lot. From trying to figure how many carbs were in breastmilk, how many carbs of baby food went into him and how many were in the amount that he spit back up onto his bib, to handing him the meter to check himself at 4 yrs old, and the syringe to inject himself at 6 years old (his requests), from MDI with NPH and Humalog to pumping, from gauging how exercise affected blood sugar, or how adrenalin during the excitement of team sports did as well, from schools and 504 Plans to playdates and sleepovers, from PUBERTY - no descriptions for that time frame!, to girls and dating, from establishing routines before getting behind the wheel, to leaning into spreading his wings as he gets ready leave home next year.
    Yes. We've seen a lot.
    You will too.
    And you are perfectly positioned, as we were/are, in the very best place for camaraderie, support and knowledge. Honestly, don't bow down to me, bow down to Jeff and Brenda Hitchcock and the others on this website who have created a place for us to learn how to best live our life with Type 1 Diabetes. I do :)

8. msschiel

msschiel Approved members

We just started on the T:slim in November, after 2 years of MDI. We love this pump. The touch screen is simple to navigate. The priming does take a bit of time, but we have no other pump to compare it to. It still only takes about 5 minutes. From what I have seen watching older videos, I think the filling of the cartridge can be done ahead of time. However, in the book, it does say to draw out extra air before injecting insulin (we were not told this at our saline therapy). However, I have been drawing air out of the cartridge before injecting the insulin and it seems to work well. So much more flexibility with the pump.

9. blufickle

blufickle Approved members

I've had juvenile onset or type 1 for over 50 years and just got the t:slim G4 in November because I didn't want to carry both the pump and the Dexcom receiver. I can't tell you how other pumps are, but I really like the G4. Some people say it takes too long to fill the cartridge and do the site change, but then since I don't have anything to compare it to, I can't complain. One of the things I like about it, is if I don't want to use the CGM I don't have to, or if I decided that I want to stop using the pump portion of it, I can do that too. You can use the pump or the CGM alone or together. I suggest downloading the manual and have your son read it. I did that. Also check out the u-tube videos, my favorite it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLMkyOto41Y

10. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

My 16 year old likes her t-slim. She's also used Medtronic and Omnipod.

11. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Something to consider with an integrated pump/CGM: Dexcom keeps advancing at a pace much faster than any pump. So for a pump that's integrated, the CGM component will be "outdated" long before the pump. And as it currently stands, you can't upgrade a pump's integrated CGM. And like Mimikins stated, the Dexcom G5 is Bluetooth-capable, so you already don't need to schlep a receiver around.

12. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Apidra can not be used in the t;slim you wo9uld have to switch to Novolog or Humalog.