- advertisement -

Its been a long while (an update)

Discussion in 'Teens' started by malyssa, Nov 27, 2010.

1. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

Since I last posted..

I took a break from everything diabetes-related on the internet for a while. I was getting way overwhelmed, and to be perfectly honest, I was burnt out. That being said, I slipped up on my D care for a while- I just didn't want to deal with it. It was the first time that I really resented diabetes to a point that it affected the way I dealt with it (just not testing enough, and forgetting to bolus here and there) I'm not proud of it, but I'm only human. I'm back on track now, and my blood sugars have been amazing, despite some bad pod issues a few weeks back. I was using 80+ units a day, and seeing HI's and 300's way too often. My endo decided that for my safety, that I should stop the use of the pods. I was the 5th patient in a month that he took off of it. Since then, my insulin needs have went back to normal (for me, about 40-50 units a day) and my average bg for 7 days is 117, my 14 day average is 134, 30 day is 155. :)

Other than the D stuff, I transferred to the school of my dreams- one of the top research universities! I love it, a lot, though it is a lot harder than my previous college in terms of workload and difficulty of courses. But all that aside, I love the challenge, and the opportunities that are given there. I have changed my career path though. I wanted to be a pedi endo for a long while, but I've decided to go the medical research route instead. I want to research drugs used to treat diabetes, help be a part of that cure we are all longing for. So I hope to one day work for a drug company and do just that! I'm going to try to get an internship with J&J, whose headquarters is basically down the road from one of the campuses at my school, but they're one of the hardest companies to get an internship with, so we'll see about that!

But yeah, that's where I've been and what's been going on with me. How is everyone else doing?

2. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

Hi, nice to hear from you, Malyssa. I'm glad to hear you got into the college you wanted to be at! Good luck getting into the J&J internship. I really hope it works out. You would do a wonderful job in diabetes research. Talk about connection and a reason to want to go to work every day. I haven't been posting much lately either. Between classes, my family, and my own health I've been really busy.

My blood sugars were horrendous for a couple months despite my best efforts. When I say horrendous I mean like 300's at least 5 times a week. I was not feeling too hot. I had an endo appointment 11/18 and I am glad I have a good relationship with them and didnt have a problem saying "I'm having major problems and I need some help." They are very understanding and do a great job of looking at what else is going on in my life like stress at school, hormones, illness, or stress at home.

My A1C was up to 8.1, I was expecting the rise not that I was okay with it. We were able to work together to get me back on track with some better bg's :) After some major basal adjustments, my bg's are much better. An occasional high, mostly 100's, and even some lows.

I will be happy when the semester is over and I can stay home for a while. Last night my mom said to me "don't leave, i need you to just stay home and take care of me." :( I'll have a good 5 weeks off to stay home and help my parents. I'll hopefully get some hours at work and babysitting too.

3. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

Ahh, thanks, Rae. I'm very happy where I am right now. :)
    And I'm happy to hear that your bg's have been better! It's so discouraging when you see a lot of out of range numbers despite best efforts.
    Totally hear you about the end of the semester- can't wait. Two weeks from Friday for me!