- advertisement -

Itchy, Itchy, Itchy Infusion sites

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mamattorney, Dec 8, 2014.

1. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

All the sudden (maybe a month) my daughter is having super itchy infusion sites. They itch sometimes when they are on, but she can usually avoid scratching them. But once they come off, they are red, sometimes puffy and itch like crazy. She scratches them and that just aggravates the situation.

What do you think is the likely cause? The one thing I don't think it is is flexifix tape, since she uses that for dexcom sites as well and has no issues. But I suppose it could be the sets (Cleo's), the cannula, or I suppose even the insulin. I don't have any other sets to use, but she has an endo appt. on the 15th, so I can ask for samples then, I guess.

2. TripleThreat

TripleThreat Approved members

Are you using different sites? I have one That has reactions only on stomach. You can spray Benadryl first it might help

3. momof1CWDinohio

momof1CWDinohio Approved members

My son started having itchy infusion sites a few months ago after being on the Animas Ping pump with Novolog for almost four years. We ended up going off the pump and are still off. We've since learned he most likely developed an allergy to Novolog (and also with Apidra now). I really hope your daughter isn't developing an allergy to the insulin. We had ruled out the adhesive (bc it was very different than adhesive reactions we've seen before). We were also told that allergies to the cannula itself are very rare. That left us with the Novolog.

I'm very very scared now that we know DS is allergic to 2 of the 3 short-acting insulins on the market.

I hope this is an easy solution for you!

4. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

tt

Yes, unfortunately she's reacting on all her site locations (butt, belly, thighs)

Yikes, I hope it's not that! That is really scary. I know she doesn't react to Opsite tape, so we put a square of tape down before she inserted this site to try to see if it was the adhesive. I was a little leary of inserting right through the tape, but did it anyway and this site hasn't been itchy at all. She always itches like crazy after she takes the site out, so we'll have to see if that happens before I call the Opsite base a solution.

5. momof1CWDinohio

momof1CWDinohio Approved members

Yikes, I hope it's not that! That is really scary. I know she doesn't react to Opsite tape, so we put a square of tape down before she inserted this site to try to see if it was the adhesive. I was a little leary of inserting right through the tape, but did it anyway and this site hasn't been itchy at all. She always itches like crazy after she takes the site out, so we'll have to see if that happens before I call the Opsite base a solution.[/QUOTE]

I hope it's not that, either. I really hope I didn't scare you too much and that the Opsite will be a good fix for you. I'm not thinking too clearly today bc I'm still reeling from this new information. Good luck and hope it gets better!